Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2011, 18:37   #1

Jabsco QF37245 - Slow to Flush

Suggestions please as regards a very slow to flush electric head - if I put 1.5 liters of water in the head, it takes about 15 seconds to empty the bowl. When I do the same test with my 2nd head, emptying the bowl takes only 3 seconds.

The draw is obviously weak, and I hate to think of what would happen is the head was actually 'used'..

Any help and suggestions would be appreciated! The model is QF37245, its electric and plumbed for fresh water flushes.
svfinnishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 21:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Jabsco QF37245, slow to flush

You said "the draw is obviously weak, " which indicates that the problem is in the wiring, battery or connections, not in the toilet. The most common reason for "sluggish discharge" is low voltage to the toilet. That can be due to a weak battery , corroded connections, loose wires. Start at one end of the system and work your way to the other end, checking 'em all.

You have another toilet that's working fine...are they both on the same circuit? What else is on the same circuit as the troublesome toilet? (If your answer is anything BUT "nothing," whoever installed your toilets didn't know what they were doing, 'cuz electric toilets, treatment devices etc should always be on their own dedicated circuit, shared by nothing else that can pull power away from it if on at the same time)..'cuz operating at low voltage can not only cause sluggish discharge, it'll destroy the toilet motor.

If it's not low voltage, it may be a head discharge line that has enough of a buildup of sea water minerals to all but block it.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:07   #3

Thanks Peg - re: what I meant by 'the draw' is the suction i.e. the water doesn't swirl out of the toilet, and the level does not reduce as per the timing I gave. The motor makes all the right sounds - if anything it sounds louder, but not slower - and each head is own its own circuit breaker.

Re: head discharge line and sea water minerals - just to be clear the head has only been used with a fresh water flush. Do you mean blockage due to sea water minerals at the seacock i.e. the interface between the toilet discharge and the sea water?

Thanks gain for the help!
svfinnishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:10   #4
Marine Service Provider

That's possible...but some fresh water can be loaded with "hard water minerals" that can build up in the head discharge line. A tech on a lake in KY sent me photos of a couple of joker valves that looked like a starter kit for a reef! So pull the discharge fitting off and check both the joker valve and the inside of the discharge hose for buldup. And while you have it off, replace the joker valve.

If it's not low voltage or mineral buildup, a blocked holding tank vent--even a partially blocked one--can pressurize the system enough to create enough back pressure to interfere with flushing. The most common locations for a vent blockage are the thru-hull and the other end of the vent line--both that end of the hose and the tank vent fitting. Scrape 'em out with a screwdriver blade or whatever works.

If none of the above, it's time to call Jabsco customer service.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flushing, jabsco