Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2020, 07:58   #1

Boat: fountaine pajot athena 38
Jabsco vflo 5.0

This pump didn't work properly from day one. Jabsco replaced it with a conventional pump because they said that many vflo 5.0 had a problem that they didn't understand and couldn't fix. But they continue to sell them? Has anyone fixed one of these?
FSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 08:20   #2

Re: Jabsco vflo 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSmith View Post
This pump didn't work properly from day one. Jabsco replaced it with a conventional pump because they said that many vflo 5.0 had a problem that they didn't understand and couldn't fix. But they continue to sell them? Has anyone fixed one of these?
What is the problem you are describing??
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 09:48   #3

The pump shuts down and will not work. After a while it comes back to life only to shut down again. It also had a problem not shutting off when the pressure is acheived. Jabsco acknowledged these problems and would not replace it with a vflo 5.0 because they said they couldn't guarantee it would work.
Old 28-07-2020, 10:00   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
The pump shuts down and will not work. After a while it comes back to life only to shut down again.

How long does it run before shutting down? Is it over heating then after it cools down it works again?
If it's over heating then the thermal overload switch kicks in, so it could be the switch is bad. It looks like it is part of the motor. Tried a muffin fan on another pump that was kicking off due to the thermal switch. It extended the run time but still eventually shut down. Recovered faster w/the fan blowing on the motor.
Another problem w/these pumps was sensing too high of a voltage and shutting down.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 10:25   #5

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

I also have one of these pumps, and have experienced those problems. After much back and forth with Jabsco's technical department, and getting nowhere, I started experimenting with various fixes. I discovered that keeping my DC voltage at about 14 volts, the pump would no longer exhibit those problems.
Since all of my other DC devices are able to work at that voltage, nothing seems to be giving me any troubles. YMMV
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 07:40   #6

Quote:
The pump shuts down and will not work. After a while it comes back to life only to shut down again. It also had a problem not shutting off when the pressure is acheived. Jabsco acknowledged these problems and would not replace it with a vflo 5.0 because they said they couldn't guarantee it would work.
I've had these exact same issues. Sometimes pump will not fully pressurize and will run very, very, very slowly for hours. OR, it will simply quit (I suspect overheating from the former problem). I have to shut off the breaker for a short while, then turn it back on.

I finally got rid of mine about 2 weeks ago.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 08:54   #7

I find it amazing that they still sell a defective product.
Old 19-08-2021, 06:59   #8

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 47

Anyone notice that the Jabsco/Xylem Vflo 5.0 is a discontinued item now? Most online sites, including West Marine, no longer have stock. The closest replacement is the Floject R4426-143A, which looks almost identical.
torrmundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 20:36   #9

Boat: Hunter 45 CC

My Vflo 5.0 lasted for a year. Blows the fuse. I expect its the control board. I’ll use it as parts or hard wire the motor as a back up
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco