Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 04:25   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Re: Katadyn 40E or 80E

Unless you are going off piste in the Caribbean there is no CBA for a water maker that works in financial terms.

IF you WANT one buy the best "SPECTRA"

After 11 years here cruising the Caribbean without a water maker I now have two options I have just rebuilt a Katadyn 160E That produces 30 L/H for around 18A. But we have LIFePO4 batteries so our house bank sits at 13.5V during the day so I am assuming that this great voltage is what takes a 24/L/H W/M to 30 L/H

It is noisey and we just sit it in/on the transom with no fixed plumbing and fill 5 Litre water jugs.

I have just picked up a Spectra Clark Pump and a 40" membrane for not a lot of boat dollars so that will be our water maker 'eventually' when I have rebuilt that one and installed that permanently...

We have ATM 470 W of solar hoping to add another 270/280W. We have three large water tanks one up front and two in the bilge in the saloon. Once we have a permanent installation we will almost never use the forward tank....and we will be using F/W for toilet flushes and a boat wash down hose as well as showers cooking and drinking.

The Admiral is TOTALLY UNCONVINCED of the need for a water maker.

I am putting the Katadyn 160E up for sale ASAP it will be at the flea maket at TOBY this Saturday.......at a nice price point, NO Free beer or Pizza's though and I will use that money to refurbish and install the Spectra Water Maker.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:38   #32
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
Unless you are going off piste in the Caribbean there is no CBA for a water maker that works in financial terms.

IF you WANT one buy the best "SPECTRA"

After 11 years here cruising the Caribbean without a water maker I now have two options I have just rebuilt a Katadyn 160E That produces 30 L/H for around 18A. But we have LIFePO4 batteries so our house bank sits at 13.5V during the day so I am assuming that this great voltage is what takes a 24/L/H W/M to 30 L/H

It is noisey and we just sit it in/on the transom with no fixed plumbing and fill 5 Litre water jugs.

I have just picked up a Spectra Clark Pump and a 40" membrane for not a lot of boat dollars so that will be our water maker 'eventually' when I have rebuilt that one and installed that permanently...

We have ATM 470 W of solar hoping to add another 270/280W. We have three large water tanks one up front and two in the bilge in the saloon. Once we have a permanent installation we will almost never use the forward tank....and we will be using F/W for toilet flushes and a boat wash down hose as well as showers cooking and drinking.

The Admiral is TOTALLY UNCONVINCED of the need for a water maker.

I am putting the Katadyn 160E up for sale ASAP it will be at the flea maket at TOBY this Saturday.......at a nice price point, NO Free beer or Pizza's though and I will use that money to refurbish and install the Spectra Water Maker.

Free Steaks and rum?
If you need any advice on getting the Spectra back in order don't hesitate to contact me.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
(954) 5154-7077
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:16   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Free Steaks and rum?
If you need any advice on getting the Spectra back in order don't hesitate to contact me.

(954) 5154-7077

WILL DO for sure, I want to 'build' a Cape Horn I think....BUT just found a great spot for the clark pump but the 40" membrane would need to be mounted remotely. I contacted the local Spectra distributer here in SXM for a list of bits and prices and costs for the parts i need to buy to make a Cape Horn unit so far no responce from Spectra in CA :-( I think the Clark Pump needs to go back for rework and one of the end caps on the Membrane has got the spilt in the usual place when the union fits into the end cap :-( and this is a straight union with the O Ring not the tapered thread old style one.

Will PM you ASAP

thanks for all your help in the past
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 16:41   #34

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Tellie, I look forward to meeting you at the boat show and seeing the Ventura 150 in action!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 18:03   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Tellie, I look forward to meeting you at the boat show and seeing the Ventura 150 in action!

I look forward to meeting you as well. Remember to ask for J.T. not Tellie, the new guys might be flummoxed. We'll be in booth 1116. I hope you can make the Saturday night party, Somebody has to win that Spectra Ventura 150, it might as well be you.

www.HaldenMarineService.com
(954) 515-7077
Old 03-02-2016, 18:07   #36
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
WILL DO for sure, I want to 'build' a Cape Horn I think....BUT just found a great spot for the clark pump but the 40" membrane would need to be mounted remotely. I contacted the local Spectra distributer here in SXM for a list of bits and prices and costs for the parts i need to buy to make a Cape Horn unit so far no responce from Spectra in CA :-( I think the Clark Pump needs to go back for rework and one of the end caps on the Membrane has got the spilt in the usual place when the union fits into the end cap :-( and this is a straight union with the O Ring not the tapered thread old style one.

Will PM you ASAP

thanks for all your help in the past
It's always my pleasure to give advice. Let me know if I can help in any way. Spectra is buried in tons of orders right now and response time has reflected this. But I'm only a phone call away any time for you or any Cruisers Forum members.

(954) 515-7077
Old 03-02-2016, 18:52   #37

Boat: Island Packet 29

We cannot wait for this Strictly Sail show!!!
MattJessPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 07:47   #38

Quote:
First, we have dropped the Katadyn 80E and 160E. There are still a few available out there, but you want to be concerned about parts in the future. The Power Survivor 40E is and will still be available. I would suggest, since Katadyn is now Spectra as well and the 80E was in your thoughts that the Spectra Ventura150 is a far better buy for about $500 more than what an 80E would have cost. Twice the production of the 80E at half the energy use to produce the same gallon of water. When you are looking at efficiency and production the cost difference is minimal. Since you are in St. Petersburg I would highly suggest you come over for the Miami Strictly Sail show in a few weeks (Feb 11-15) I will have both the PowerSurvivor 40E and the Spectra 150 on display for you to look at and the Ventura 150 will be operating at my booth. I'll be happy to take all the time with you to explain the differences.

A Bonus is that on Saturday night the cruisers party for all begins right after the show. Stay in the tent at the end of the show and enjoy free beer and pizza. I will be giving away a Ventura 150 at the party. But lots of raffle tickets and you might just get lucky.

(954) 515-7077
Hee Tellie! I think you meant Spectra is now Katadyn, since Katadyn Group took over Spectra and not the other way around. But, whatever. I am surprised about your statement the 80E has been dropped. As it seems fully available here in Europe. Is this maybe only for the USA??

I am debating 40E and 80E too, but I think I will go for the 40E, since I mainly cruise alone and want the lowest possible power consumption. 10 litres per day means approx 2 hours running of the 40E, so only 8 Amps consumption. But I see your point about the Spectra Ventura 150 as a better option than the 80E. Thanks for highlighting that.
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 08:02   #39

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
It's always my pleasure to give advice. Let me know if I can help in any way. Spectra is buried in tons of orders right now and response time has reflected this. But I'm only a phone call away any time for you or any Cruisers Forum members.

(954) 515-7077
Tellie it was great to meet you at the end of the show (I was the last person who stopped by the booth I think). Still debating on the 150 Ventura, but will let you know soon what I come up with!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 09:00   #40

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

just to clarify - I have 80e from about 3 years - rock solid no issues whatsoever - do not think I have ever touch anything else do bulletproof - but definably wished to go for the 160E - if you can afford get 160E you will never regret it
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 17:58   #41
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco@onyva View Post
Hee Tellie! I think you meant Spectra is now Katadyn, since Katadyn Group took over Spectra and not the other way around. But, whatever. I am surprised about your statement the 80E has been dropped. As it seems fully available here in Europe. Is this maybe only for the USA??

I am debating 40E and 80E too, but I think I will go for the 40E, since I mainly cruise alone and want the lowest possible power consumption. 10 litres per day means approx 2 hours running of the 40E, so only 8 Amps consumption. But I see your point about the Spectra Ventura 150 as a better option than the 80E. Thanks for highlighting that.

Never!!! I'm old school. Thank goodness they let us keep the name Spectra on all the units. The people at Katadyn have been great, though there are always a few changes when something like this happens, and so far the changes have been for the benefit of all. The Katadyn Power survivor 40E, the Survivor35, and the Survivor 06, will all carry the Spectra name. My sources have pretty much confirmed the exiting of the PowerSurvivor 80 and 160. They realize there is no comparison to the Spectra in energy efficiency and for a $500 to $700 difference it just doesn't make much sense. So far, every time I have a customer wanting a PS160 or PS80 I easily, comfortably, and confidently, talk them into the Spectra. Unless they absolutely insist I would feel like I've done them a disservice not steering them to the Spectra, all with the blessings of Katadyn. It's not to say that the Katadyn units are not any good, their reputation and longevity have proven their value and worth. But you are correct there are many of these units still on shelves around the world but it is a limited supply and once they are gone they're gone. We will still support those that are out there for a while, how long that will be I have no idea. The 40E in my mind still has a great place in the watermaker market and I would support a customer purchasing one if it truly meets their needs, budget, and their boats limitations.

Cheap plug here. I will be having our first class for Spectra and Katadyn owners and those that are thinking about purchasing either units in our Fort Lauderdale shop sometime in July. We will be teaching maintenance and servicing of their units and answering any questions you might have. We'll have a few units to tear into and to see what makes them tick and a few tricks of the trade will be taught. Though the class is just that, a class, please understand it's not meant to be a sales pitch of any kind, if someone is already seriously looking to buy a unit and wants to take the class this would be the best time to do so as I'll have special pricing on any unit bought there at the class. I would love to see some CF members and lurkers there. Space is limited so if your interested just give me a call. Food and drinks provided.

(954) 515-7077
Old 24-02-2016, 18:04   #42
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Tellie it was great to meet you at the end of the show (I was the last person who stopped by the booth I think). Still debating on the 150 Ventura, but will let you know soon what I come up with!

Hey, it was great to meet you as well. Come over to Fort Lauderdale for the class in July and we'll catch up. Or come on over anytime and we'll grab a beer.

(954) 515-7077

Tags
katadyn