Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 05:37   #16

Boat: Maxi77 sailing boat. 77 foot (no, joke). Actually lenght is 7.7 metres :)
Re: Keelblock System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Generally, the keel supports the weight of the boat and the cradle or jackstands stabilize it. There should be very little weight on the cradle pads.

On the picture, the cradle is not long enough for the boat. If you go forward on the deck there may not be enough support in the bow causing the stern to rise and the boat to tip over.

An important dimension is the width of the cradle. Not in relation to the boat, but in relation to the yard's trailer that will pick up the boat and cradle, find out the max width that yard can pick up.
Thanks for an idea

I am just thinking - whether is a good idea to put the most of the boat weight on the keel? Or to distribute the weight by cradle or jackstands more or less evenly to ease a tension to the keel. However, I might be wrong. As I said, everything in boating is new to me, so I might sound a bit naive.

Definitely, I have to go some boatyards and take a look how the boats are stored there, however, the majority are in the water.
Lova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 05:59   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lova View Post
Thanks for your advice dear UNCIVILIZED

I'll take a round in some boatyards to look for such pieces of lumber. Actually I was thinking of using a lumber, but the weight of the boat (approx 2 tons) makes me a bit worrying about strength of the such construction. Steel seems to be more durable. Of course there have to be some padding for smooth sitting, but canvas is for covering the whole boat to protect from rain and snow in offseason.

Many thanks for your response, I am very surprised how helpful are people here
You're over-thinking things....

This is 20 tons sitting on wood blocks....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keel Blocked 1.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	87238  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 06:07   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Thanks for an idea

I am just thinking - whether is a good idea to put the most of the boat weight on the keel? Or to distribute the weight by cradle or jackstands more or less evenly to ease a tension to the keel. However, I might be wrong. As I said, everything in boating is new to me, so I might sound a bit naive.

Definitely, I have to go some boatyards and take a look how the boats are stored there, however, the majority are in the water.
99.9732848421% of the weight on the keel... Jackstands simply add lateral support....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 06:11   #19

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Thanks for an idea

Yes, the weight of the boat should be on the keel. The hull is the thickest and strongest where the keel attaches to the boat. It will get thinner as you move away from the keel.

When the weight of the boat is on the hull, the hull will deform, the gelcoat may crack, and it may weaken the hull. When the boat is in the water, the water evenly supports the entire hull, so it can be thinner and lighter. However, the keel is not supported by the water so the hull must be stronger at the attachment point to support the weight. Also, when the boat is heeling there are tremendous forces acting on the joint between the hull and keel, again, the need for a very strong attachment point.

15cm x 15 cm blocks that are half a meter long will support the keel if they are laid flat on the ground or supported by the cradle. A 2 ton boat is not very heavy as boats go. Mine is about 8 tons.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 06:22   #20

Thanks guys

Another lesson learnt!
Old 28-08-2014, 06:37   #21

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The Brownell Wooden Blocks, usually in the 8"x8"x22" size are commonly used to block under the keel.

This Brownell User Manual is a handy reference to avoid problems.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 07:15   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Thanks for an idea

Sadly my boat has been on the hard, resting on her keel for almost 2 years. No worries the Maxi is hell for stout. That big bulb keel is pretty stable too.

I guess the question I would ask is whether this is a "do it yourself" boatyard. My boatyard supplies the stands as part of the hardstand cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Yes, the weight of the boat should be on the keel. The hull is the thickest and strongest where the keel attaches to the boat. It will get thinner as you move away from the keel.

When the weight of the boat is on the hull, the hull will deform, the gelcoat may crack, and it may weaken the hull.
Most boats true. The maxi hull is about 1/2 inch solid glass all the way to the chine. The sides are a bit thinner.

Mines been on pads for almost 2 years and no deformation - Of course 99.9997% of the weight is on the keel.

Quote:
Thanks guys

Another lesson learnt!
No worries.

Not to pollute this thread with more Maxi stuff but what are you planning to do during haul out over the winter? Any jobs lined up?

Here are some photos of lessons learned that you might want to look out for.

Photo 1 & 2 show a common failure. The shrouds come down to the deck and there is a carry through rod that carries the load to the Chine. The lower fitting fails. I have drawings of the hardware that you would need to have made if yours are failed.

There is a Maxi forum (in Swedish) and many Maxi owners have removed their carry through rods. I am not a fan of that as the rig loads then terminate on the deck joint.

Photo 3 & 4 shows the shroud connection plate on the deck. This is basically a U-bolt welded to a formed plate. One of the u-bolts failed and we almost lost the rig - fortunately it was a lower and the mast stayed up. I had new plates made with the next size larger u-bolt. This was a weak point in my mind.

Photos aren't great and I will try to get a better one. Other than that there have been no surprises on the boat.

Do you still have the MD2010 engine and saildrive?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	starboard small.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	87240   Click image for larger version

Name:	port1.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	87241  

Name:	Deck Plate1.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	87242   Click image for larger version

Name:	deck plate2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	87243  

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 16:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
The Brownell Wooden Blocks, usually in the 8"x8"x22" size are commonly used to block under the keel.

This Brownell User Manual is a handy reference to avoid problems.
Thanks for that It clarified many things! That's what I need. I must do some study on all this
Old 28-08-2014, 17:29   #24

At the time I was arranging the boatyard, they were out of those stands, so I decided to to get from somewhere else, or even make them. Having realized that that requires deeper study on those stands, and I have a plan to visit several boatyards for consultations and probably to get some ones.

The boatyard where I have the boat moored offers haul-out service, so I plan to hire them. At least work will be done by professionals and I might learn new things on proper techniques how to prepare the boat for offseason.

Thanks for sharing the photos, I will pay close attention on that.
I was told to remove rig, backstay, lazy-jazks, tackle gear, navigational apparatus, basically leaving the boat bare for long-term winter time storage.

I bought this boat very recently as used, and she has outboard Mercury engine. Will share some photos, because in a week I am going on holidays, and plan is to cross the Baltic Sea and visit some Swedish islands. I can't wait for that, and will share some photos and very first experience.

Many thanks to you all guys for sharing knowledge, advices and experience. I wish there would be more such helpful people I met here in the world
Old 28-08-2014, 18:41   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Wow - How severe are the winters in Latvia? Taking the rig off seems like overkill. Although in the first year of ownership it would be nice to have a look at things.

If you do take the rig down pay attention to the masthead stuff - wiring, antenna mount, windex, sheaves etc. Best to get all this in A-1 condition while the mast is down.

I look forward to your holiday pics!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 08:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Wow - How severe are the winters in Latvia? Taking the rig off seems like overkill. Although in the first year of ownership it would be nice to have a look at things.

If you do take the rig down pay attention to the masthead stuff - wiring, antenna mount, windex, sheaves etc. Best to get all this in A-1 condition while the mast is down.

I look forward to your holiday pics!
Winters over here might be very cold and wet. Therefore, removing, at least vulnerable to the weather some part of the rig, may be necessary. The boatyard service also offers to store the boat in a hangar, so I will use the such option.

Right, in the first year ownership is better to see as many parts of the boat as possible. A good skipper must know his boat like his five fingers

Things are going more and more interesting, so I'll share my newbie experiences both in sailing, handling a boat and preparing for storage ashore.

Glad to be among you!

Tags
keel