Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2008, 19:05   #1

Boat: Bristol 32
Kerosene Cabin Heater

Hi. New here. I have an old kerosene Shipmate cabin heater, which is no longer made. It uses a 1" flue. I may refurbish it, but I consider it a safety hazard (co1) and would rather replace it with a new unit from another manufacturer. My problem is that nobody seems to make anything like this anymore. I have done an extensive web search, and the nearest thing I can come up with is a Cozy Cabin Heater with a kerosene burner previously made by Force 10, but also no longer available. I would kill for one of those.
Am I missing any options? Does anyone know who refurbishes the Shipmates? Does anybody have the Force 10 in Kerosene that they no longer need? Thanks in advance.

Mainebristol
Mainebristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2008, 21:04   #2
Shu

Boat: Down East Yacht, 42' Danser Nu
pirate

I don't know where you could find one other than perhaps a nautical swap meet or a used boat parts store. Here in the San Francisco Bay area there are a couple of these type of stores. The problem with used stuff though is it probably is used up.
Ouyside of an astetics thing why would you want to keep such an old unit when there are several newer types out there?
Old 13-09-2008, 21:07   #3

I'd be thrilled with a newer type. I just want it to burn a liquid fuel, and use a 1" flue. If you know of any options, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Regards, Mainebristol
Old 14-09-2008, 08:49   #4
Shu

Check the WestMarine catalog. They have propane heaters (vented) as well as diesel and solid fuel. They ain't cheap, but that's the WestMarine way.
There should be a lot of old diesel heaters out there second hand since they have been around forever.
West Marine: West Marine Search Tool
Old 14-09-2008, 08:59   #5

Yeah, but none of these fit the bill. However,... I might be able to by a Cozy Cabin Heater in propane and adapt it. In fact, I'm sure I can. I think that is what I might do, unless anybody can come up with another liquid fueled cabin heater that uses a 1" flue.

Regards, Mainebristol
Old 14-09-2008, 12:06   #6
Shu

Thumbs up

I think it's probably the best way to go. You can put extra propane bottles on for extra long cruising in cold regions. Just double check all your hose connections with soapy water. Watch for bubbles as a tell tale of leaks. They will NOT be big bubbles but rather a lot of tiny ones.
Old 14-09-2008, 17:23   #7

I guess I wasn't clear. I prefer to stick with kerosene. I intend to modify it for liquid fuel. I was hoping someone would help me with ideas for a kerosene fueled heater.

Regards, Mainebristol
Old 14-09-2008, 18:12   #8

Boat: Hughes 38 Thalia
What happened to the old Shipmate, can't you refurbish it? If it used preasure kerosene you can still get the burners, they've gotten obscenely expensive though. George
George Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 18:58   #9

Thanks George. Yeah, I might be able to. My fear is that I wont be able to seal the box well enough, and I'm terrified of gas leaks. I'm going to try, it's jsut that I was hoping to get a new model, but no one seems to make a small kerosene heater anymore... The appeal of the cozy cabin heater is that the box won't leak, keeping me and my family safe. I just have to adapt it. I don't know for certain which way I'm going to go yet, and I was hoping for other options. There dont seem to be any though, so I will probably wind up doing one or the other.

Great regards, Mainebristol
Old 15-09-2008, 16:30   #10

The burner in my old force ten looked like a normal kersene cook stove burner......? or How about this little unit? I had one on my Tanton 44 it was a great little heater.... Toyotomi U.S.A. - Cabin & Boat Heaters - NS-2700-2 Toyoset
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2008, 16:49   #11
Kai Nui

Taylors Lavac still makes parafin heaters. There are a couple photos of one of the older units in my gallery. Charlie has my old unit, but mentioned he may not use it, so you might want to PM him and see if he will part with it.
Old 17-09-2008, 21:04   #12

Boat: islandpacket
Try Dickenson marine diesel stoves or Sigmar. My understanding is that Diesel and kerosene are interchangeable. But I would check with them first. What is wrong with my fonts!!
Badsanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2008, 11:54   #13

Thanks people, for all of your responses. After much consideration, I will try to rebuild the Shipmate, and if that doesn't work I will try to buy one of those Taylor units, although they come mighty dear on this side of the pond. I very much appreciate all of the input.

With great respect, Mainebristol.

P.S. Nice breeze on Casco Bay today; eight or ten knots, from the southeast, which is unusual.
Old 21-03-2009, 14:01   #14

re kerosene heater

I have a never used Taylor kerosene heater.If you are interested you can email Huk66@sbcglobal.net
Huk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 14:34   #15

Hi Mainebristol,

I'm selling my Force 10 heater on ebay;

Force10 Yacht Diesel/Kerosene Cosy Cabin Heater:eBay Motors (item 120497497293 end time Nov-29-09 06:05:58 PST)

in case you might be interested,

best regards,

daqattack
daqattack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin