Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2016, 00:34   #1

Leak in fridge

Morning all,

I've built in cool box with a cold plate connected to a compressor. I hadn't turned it on until yesterday and whilst the compressor works fine, and the pipe leading into the cool box is cold, the plate isn't getting cold.

Then after I but I found a leak where to pipe joins the cold plate.

Is there a product I can use to fill the hole or something that can be done to 'weld' or an other fix?

Cheers,
FlippedPip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 03:12   #2

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Leak in fridge

Is it in the copper pipe (solder it) or the stainless tank - have to be removed, emptied, and welded. If it is the join between the two, then brazing is common. Either way, the system will be really low on refrigerant gas, or even empty. Removal of the gas is a job for a fridge tech, unless you have an extraction machine. Venting any remaining gas to the atmosphere is illegal.
Really, from the fact that you asked this question, means that you need a fridge tech to fix it for you.
Old 19-05-2016, 05:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

Enforcement of air quality regulations with regard to small boat refrigeration applications varies from location to location depending on local officials. The intent of the Clean Air Act was and is to protect the ozone layer and reduce Global Warming. Because venting refrigerants intentionally or by leaks it is every ones responsibility to make every effort to reduce refrigerant venting.

Without knowing size or history of this refrigerator that has a leak in line at Cold Plate (evaporator plate), advice can not be given. I find it is generally a mistake to get an outside repairmen involved at all until more information is available. Leaks in Aluminum Roll Bond evaporators or there aluminum line connection I find can not be permanently repaired.
I find only one in twenty refrigerator technicians are experienced in repairing all types of small boat refrigerators.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 10:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippedPip View Post
Morning all,

I've built in cool box with a cold plate connected to a compressor. I hadn't turned it on until yesterday and whilst the compressor works fine, and the pipe leading into the cool box is cold, the plate isn't getting cold.

Then after I but I found a leak where to pipe joins the cold plate.

Is there a product I can use to fill the hole or something that can be done to 'weld' or an other fix?

Cheers,
Hey Amigo
From your description it sounds to me like you could have two separate issues, so lets review for a moment. The hole in your plate that the copper tube passes through is not part of the "refrigerant loop". It's just the point at which the refrigerant loop copper tube, passes into the eutectic holding tank. So any leak at this joint will just be the eutectic solution in the tank and not refrigerant gas. To fix that pipe/tank joint, you have two approaches. The hard way is to drain the plate and soft solder the hole. The easy way that I would recommend doing in the field is to use some JB Weld. Clean and gently sand the area and then apply some JB Weld epoxy. Once cured 24hrs later, that fix will be forever.

Now to your symptoms of charge and cold lines.
First the line coming from the compressor should not be COLD until after the expansion valve, so if it is, then you have a problem.

There are a couple of common problems that could give you the symptom of a cool, but not cold/frozen holding plate and they are:
1. low on refrigerant, do you have a sight glass installed and do you see bubbles?
2. Expansion valve adjustment. Did you adjust this or what the story there?

And finally to help trouble shoot, is this a name brand system or did you build it yourself. Some additional tech details will help along with photos.

I give technical service and support for holding plate systems 7 days a week pretty much during my waking hours, so feel free to use this thread for communication, or send me an email directly at Info@TechnauticsInc.com

Oh and I agree 100% with Richard Kollmann...
I spend a HUGE amount of my trouble shooting time fixing what "refrigeration techs" screwed up in the first place! You are far batter saving your money and learning about the system and if you can fix it yourself FIRST.

Cheers
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2016, 03:01   #5

Hi both,

Thanks a million for your detailed replies. I'm heading down to the boat this afternoon and will grab a photo of the troubled area. In fairness, the system is old and maybe needs replacing but at the moment, I am just looking to get a fix in place as funds are about to be sucked up with some water coming in thru her hull. Haul out next week

Thanks Rich for the email address. I'll touch base later on today.
FlippedPip is offline   Reply With Quote