Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2012, 07:56   #16

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: Leaking Hose Connections

i wasnt sure..i couldnt tell the difference between the cheap ones and auto part store ones. Nothing indicated that the screw was stainless. Very well could be. but for a couple bucks more.. im not going to mess with it! Defender is a bit less expensive naturally
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 11:01   #17

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

On some clamps the screw is ferrous and others all SS. You can check with a magnet. The down fall of each is;
The ferrous screw will rust causing it to seize once it's rusted.
The SS screw will gall when extremely tightened making it a one time use only.

It comes down to what your willing to deal with. For all my engine exhaust hoses, which require double clamping, I use a SS T-Bolt clamp along with a all SS hose clamp. T-Bolt Band Clamps | Clampco Products The T-Bolt clamps give a stronger clamp with a more even clamping surface that doesn't pinch the hose.

Old 19-11-2012, 11:26   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
On some clamps the screw is ferrous and others all SS. You can check with a magnet. The down fall of each is;
The ferrous screw will rust causing it to seize once it's rusted.
The SS screw will gall when extremely tightened making it a one time use only.

It comes down to what your willing to deal with. For all my engine exhaust hoses, which require double clamping, I use a SS T-Bolt clamp along with a all SS hose clamp. T-Bolt Band Clamps | Clampco Products The T-Bolt clamps give a stronger clamp with a more even clamping surface that doesn't pinch the hose.
Yup thats why I use the AWAB tool to tighten the clamps, once it twists, it is tight enough, to avoid over tightening. Seems to be working well. No leaks yet!

yup got the t-bolt clamps on the exhaust as well

good clamps are not cheap.. nor is sinking your boat due to a bad clamp!
Old 19-11-2012, 11:36   #19

good article on clamps from seaworthy:

https://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/hoseclamp.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy
Use Good Ones: Clamps should be made completely of 316 stainless steel by a reputable company. Some clamps have screws that are made of cheap steel and rust easily—and break. Running a magnet over a clamp can tell you if there is any non-stainless steel, but unfortunately can’t always tell you if there is any lower-quality stainless used in the manufacture. Companies such as Ideal, Tridon, and AWAB are known for making suitable clamps if they are marine grade and not for automotive use. AWAB clamps use smooth non-perforated bands, which prevents the inevitable corrosion in the slotted-type clamps. The rounded solid bands also prevent your clamps from acting like a cheese slicer on your hoses.
Old 19-11-2012, 11:37   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If the connections are leaking, the odds ARE that something is the wrong size. So the options are new hoses (ain't gonna happen, I know) or a kludge job. Instead of teflon tape I would try using a wrap of butyl or silicon tape (both self-amalgamating, sold as plumbing or electrical tapes) cut on the diagonal, not just butt-cut around the pipes. Or teflon tape--if you can find a much wider kind, like inch wide, instead of trying to build an even thickness from the usual skinny stuff.

The butyl or silicon will form an impervious gasket layer. Yes, you could apply silicon seal or something similar, but I don't think that would ever be as even a seal.

And either way, yes, finish off with double clamps, but the second clamp is just supposed to be there for insurance in case the first one fails, you should need only one to get a solid connection that doesn't leak.

If the fittings ARE correct...maybe this is a sign from the gods to upgrade to real premium sanitation hose, before there's sewage to leak out.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote