Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2018, 12:37   #31

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: leaking relief valve on water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
They put check valves in the input to the water heater for a reason.
Oh? What would this reason be?
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 16:57   #32

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Oh? What would this reason be?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ter-97996.html
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 06:32   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
You have a good memory to recall this thread from 2013. However, in this thread there was no consensus that a check valve was required. For every reason that a check valve may be required, there were reasons not to install one.

Silorchic summed it up by saying she would not install one on a boat, and for our plumbing system on our boat, I absolutely agree with her.

Steve
Old 28-04-2018, 08:44   #34

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Steve,
To see if you need/want a check valve, get the tank water hot, then open a cold water tap and let it run for a bit. If you find warm water coming out, its maybe time for a check valve.

Another issue that the check valve may affect is the shower temperature fluctuations which come with pump cycling. That one is complicated, and I'm not sure whether the valve helps or hurts. I've had big temperature fluctuations on the boat with a check valve and accumulator, but never had a problem with my house showers, which do not have a check valve. I've been in houses/hotels were flushing the toilet meant the person in the shower gets scalded, but never in my own houses, so I never did anything to fix it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 01:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Steve,
To see if you need/want a check valve, get the tank water hot, then open a cold water tap and let it run for a bit. If you find warm water coming out, its maybe time for a check valve.

Another issue that the check valve may affect is the shower temperature fluctuations which come with pump cycling. That one is complicated, and I'm not sure whether the valve helps or hurts. I've had big temperature fluctuations on the boat with a check valve and accumulator, but never had a problem with my house showers, which do not have a check valve. I've been in houses/hotels were flushing the toilet meant the person in the shower gets scalded, but never in my own houses, so I never did anything to fix it.
Thanks. I understand that a check valve will prevent hot water from being drawn back through the supply line to the cold water tap. It's just not a problem that I have. What I DID have was a wet bilge, and removing the check valve solved that problem. I no longer have water dribbling out the relief valve as the water heats.

Our water heater has a tempering valve to control outlet temperature of the water, and it seems to cause fluctuations in shower water temperature. This was with the check valve installed, and the temperature would take a few seconds to stabilize each time I turned the water off and back on as I showered. I have only taken one shower on board since removing the check valve and noticed no difference.

For some boats the check valve may be desirable. Just not for me.

Cheers!

Steve
Old 29-04-2018, 04:27   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
... I don't know a lot about tempering valves. Is it common for one to incorporate a check valve? ...
Steve
Yes.
Hot Water Temperature Control Valves often incorporate integral check valves in both the hot and cold water inlets to protect against cross flow.

Eg: Watts ➥ Tempering Valves, Backflow Prevention, Watts

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:45   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Yes.
Hot Water Temperature Control Valves often incorporate integral check valves in both the hot and cold water inlets to protect against cross flow.

Eg: Watts ➥ Tempering Valves, Backflow Prevention, Watts
Thanks, Gord. Makes sense that check valves are incorporated in tempering valves. Appreciate the link.

Steve

Tags
water