Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2009, 10:24   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsadler View Post
randyonr3: i'm in a similar situation with a spectra newport 400. unit hasn't been used in over a year, boat is in bermuda and i'm in azerbaijan.

when i get back to bermuda there won't be time to wait on getting spares from the u.s.

i'm happy enough to purchase a new membrane ahead of time to install if the current one doesn't "clean up" but if i didn't need to install the new one straight away what would its uninstalled shelf life be??

thanks
Hi Bobsadler,

I'm also a Roving Tech for Spectra. If your membrane was pickled with Propylene Glycol before it was stored a year ago chances are good that after the proper purging of your membrane it will be fine. The SC-1 pickling solution is good for up to six months and the prefered Propylene Glycol is good for up to a year. If I remember correctly the shelf life of a SW2540 membrane is one year. If you find your membrane is in need of a replacement there's a good chance that we can get you one PDQ in Bermuda. Check your PM.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 10:28   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Randy, Are you saying to use PG in lieu of the usual pickling stuff for storage?.... forget what it's called.....

PG -Propylene Glycol is usually preferred by most. It has a longer storage time than the SC-1. If you also have a Spectra unit only use Spectras SC-1 or Propylene Glycol.
Old 26-01-2009, 11:19   #18

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
My Spectra 180 is at least ten years old, more like 12. I've owned the boat for 9, and never have I used any pickling solution, just product water. In the PNW, it lasts at least 6 months at a time.
It has always put out to spec or better with TDA numbers below 200.

Come to think of it, I'll run it today.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 11:42   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
My Spectra 180 is at least ten years old, more like 12. I've owned the boat for 9, and never have I used any pickling solution, just product water. In the PNW, it lasts at least 6 months at a time.
It has always put out to spec or better with TDA numbers below 200.

Come to think of it, I'll run it today.

Steve B.

Wow, that's fanstastic! And...200 TDS on a 12 year old membrane. Would you send me some pics?
But I couldn't recommend to others storing it for 6 months without pickling, especially in warmer climes or the tropics.
Old 26-01-2009, 21:30   #20

Boat: islandpacket
Yes to Propylene Glycol it also protects from freezing that pickle juice does not. Also etoh gin vodka will mess with the rubber seals. Also the chemical cleaners work but are harsh on the membranes. every time you use it you shorten the life a little.
Old 27-01-2009, 15:08   #21

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Wow, that's fanstastic! And...200 TDS on a 12 year old membrane. Would you send me some pics?
But I couldn't recommend to others storing it for 6 months without pickling, especially in warmer climes or the tropics.

Pics of the watermaker installation or pics of the TDS meter reading 200 PPM?

Here's one of the watermaker installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watermaker (Small).jpg
Views:	246
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	6908  
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote