Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2020, 03:03   #1

Boat: Volkscruiser
Length of shower

I had this thought today about showering and how long does the hot water last once the engine is turned off? I am thinking about purchasing a 40 litre Isotemp hot water cylinder and just wondered if you can get 4 short showers out of it before the hot water has mixed to much with the cold water?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:34   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Length of shower

Our Led Myne has a 22 litre Isotemp Standard 0221R.

Takes at least 30 minutes of engine (Yanmar 3GM30F) running from cold for the Isotemp, being used as a calorifier, to bring the water to a comfortable temperature. More running means the water is hotter and so can be diluted to a greater degree with ambient temperature water.

The Isotemp also runs on AC (a 750 watt nominal 230 VAC element). Needs about 45 minutes to get the water warm enough for two adults to shower (with appropriate dilution from ambient temperature water).

With navy showering (wet, soap/shampoo, rinse), 22 litres has been more than adequate for the two of us. By extrapolation, 40 litres "should" be satisfactory for close to 4.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:38   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I would have thought there are a lot of variables, like the outside and sea water temperature, the pipe run to the shower, so shorter uses less water initially and when the engine was switched off. Just before the showers, or the following day at which point our calorifier has dropped to loot warm so needs all hot and virtually no cold. Its also 32 years old and due a change along with lots of pipe insulation at some point.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:48   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Thanks guys, Alan that was the exact information I was looking for. I have a Yanmar 2GMF and 30 minutes is probably how long I run the engine for when we are coming into anchor.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:13   #5

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Thanks guys, Alan that was the exact information I was looking for. I have a Yanmar 2GMF and 30 minutes is probably how long I run the engine for when we are coming into anchor.
Pete7 has a good point about different conditions (ambient temperature).

My excuse for not mentioning those is that Fore and Aft and I live and boat in the same waters (at least at the moment).

And F&A has it right: coming into a favourite anchorage in Moreton Bay (e.g. Lucinda Bay or The Sandhills, if we're talking N Moreton Bay), the drill is to heave to, dress the ship for anchoring, start engine, motor into the anchorage, attach the snubbing line, power set the anchor, and stand down the engine. That's the 30 minutes of engine time.

If more hot water is needed, we turn on the genset and inverter to power the AC side of the Isotemp.
Old 04-08-2020, 05:04   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I had this thought today about showering and how long does the hot water last once the engine is turned off? I am thinking about purchasing a 40 litre Isotemp hot water cylinder and just wondered if you can get 4 short showers out of it before the hot water has mixed to much with the cold water?
Cheers

You can't answer this question without knowing the temperature of the cold water. In hot weather with good warm water in the tanks, you need very little hot water from the calorifier to make a nice warm shower. In very cold weather, it's different.

FWIW, and that's little, because your case will be different, we have a 32 liter calorifier (downsized from original 50 liter), and we can normally get 3-4 navy showers out of it with pretty cold water in the tanks. The last one will be lukewarm.

A trick we use sometimes at the end of a cold passage where the whole crew wants showers at once --

Start up the generator, turn on the 1.5kW immersion heater. Fire up the Eberspacher. With TWO heat sources going, the hot water is practically endless.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:18   #7

Boat: Hanse 430e

Just dont be the last one in line. Then there is plenty of hot water.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower