Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2023, 07:23   #1

Boat: S2-35C
Lets talk bilge pumps

Does anyone make a bilge pump that lasts more than a year or so? That's what I've been getting out of Rule pumps on average over the past 15 years. I just discovered 1 is not working at all and the second only works on manual, the auto sense function is not functioning.
pas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 07:33   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Lets talk bilge pumps

I have had better results with the diaphragm pumps mounted above the bilge, using separate switches.
Old 27-09-2023, 09:25   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Along the lines of Jammer’s approach, we use purpose made diaphragm pumps as ‘maintenance’ pumps [i.e., not for emergency dewatering] for the bilge (and for shower stalls.) The pumps are mounted high and dry, and last for years [6 years and counting on current set of 3 pumps] of full time use.

I use the Whale IC pumps with solid state water sensing [i.e., no moving parts] and built-in time delays. [A few seconds delay before turning pump on, and a shut off delay that allows the pump to empty the line before it turns off. ]

Stacked vertically above the diaphragm pump pick-up are several emergency dewatering bilge pumps independently wired and plumbed. These are only exercised when tested by flooding the bilge with fresh water at the dock annually.

In case this is useful.

Cheers, Bill

PS: Here is a link to a document [with links to specific items] I maintain showing the concept for an easy bilge tree for mounting several pumps and accommodating a Whale IC pick-up foot as the maintenance pump in case it is of interest.

Old 27-09-2023, 09:47   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

My rule is about 8 years old and still fine. It's had a lot of use, with a year of a portable A/C unit draining condensation into the bilge. It also survived a circumnavigation. What usually fails is the switch. I do not have a pump with an integral switch. Most switches are terrible, and that is where you need to be selective.
Old 27-09-2023, 10:11   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

My Attwood 1600 is now going on 5+ years old and I do run it occasionally so I know it works!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2023, 10:18   #6

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
What usually fails is the switch. I do not have a pump with an integral switch. Most switches are terrible, and that is where you need to be selective.
True enough.
I do like the idea of using a Bosch relay so the switch doesn't have to carry the load of the pump.
I too use a combination of Rule and PAR pumps.
Both have worked well, although the PARs are sensitive, even the smallest bit of debris will affect them, they need a pretty fine strainer for sure.
I do wish the PARs were not priced as though they were gold plated.
Old 27-09-2023, 11:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
True enough.
I do like the idea of using a Bosch relay so the switch doesn't have to carry the load of the pump.
I too use a combination of Rule and PAR pumps.
Both have worked well, although the PARs are sensitive, even the smallest bit of debris will affect them, they need a pretty fine strainer for sure.
I do wish the PARs were not priced as though they were gold plated.
I do this for my big 4000GPH bilge pump. I have yet to find a float switch that is rated for 25amps continuous, so I use a regular float switch to trigger a 40amp relay to activate the pump. Applies to both automatic and manual activation.
Old 28-09-2023, 03:13   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
... I have yet to find a float switch that is rated for 25amps continuous ...
FWIW: The Seaflo 03 Series [#SFBS-25-03(A or B)] Bilge Pump Float Switch is rated at 25 Amp Max. @ 12VDC - however, they don't specify continuous duty.
http://www.seaflo.com/en-us/product/detail/3240.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 03:25   #9

[QUOTE=GordMay;3827342]FWIW: The Seaflo 03 Series [#SFBS-25-03(A or B)] Bilge Pump Float Switch is rated at 25 Amp Max. @ 12VDC - however, they don't specify continuous duty.
http://www.seaflo.com/en-us/product/detail/3240.html[/QUOTE

I would be highly suspect at any product from Seaflow...they are AliExpress junk. Rated for 25 amps, but comes with wire that has 15amps ampacity!!
Old 28-09-2023, 04:21   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

My, now 38 year old boat still has the original Rule 1500 in it and working just fine.

I wish I could say the same about the float switches. Even by limiting the current thru the float switch with a relay they still only last one to three years.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 05:18   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

At this point I've switched to using small pumps with internal water sensors (electronic sensors, not floats) like the Whale Supersub Smart for maintenance pumps. The big backup pumps are still on floats, but those floats last a long time as they're not normally wet and they only get cycled occasionally for testing.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 13:54   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

These are the best float switches that I have found. They make 3 sizes. No affiliation.

https://www.go2marine.com/Ultra-Safe...TqIj3n77prpmpY
Capt Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 14:14   #13

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Clark View Post
These are the best float switches that I have found. They make 3 sizes. No affiliation.

https://www.go2marine.com/Ultra-Safe...TqIj3n77prpmpY
Yes, those are highly regarded. I use this one, which has no moving parts and no wires in the bilge. If you have a high current pump you probably still should use a relay, but it is fine with my 2000gph pump.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/rul39-r...ecoswitch.html
Old 28-09-2023, 14:15   #14

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I've never had a water sensor last longer than a year. I use a float type switch with a relay. I have a couple old mercury floats that could be 50 years old. Sometimes you can find them at used marine equipment dealers. Mercury doesn't wear out, no contacts. If the hinge goes, you can salvage the switch and make your own float. You can buy a basic mercury switch on Amazon.
The best pump ever was the Lovett. I don't think they're still made, but sometimes NOS can be found. I got one with a commercial boat. It was old then. Every time I talk to the new owner, the pump is still going. The pump is over 50 years old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	float-switch.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	281516   Click image for larger version

Name:	mercury switch.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	281517  

Attached Images

Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2023, 16:45   #15

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I have a similar setup as Bill has, as in post #3.
The secret of longlivity is not to have anything permanently in the water or wet, also as mentioned in post #11.
In my setup I have only an electronic sensor on the bottom of the bilge, no moving parts, and that pump (Whale diaphragm pump) is mounted approx 1 mt higher. I have a very deep bilge.
The second pump (Rule centrifugal) approx 30 cm above the bilge bottom and the third one (another Rule) 30 cm above that. Both these pumps have their own float switch.
Hmmm as Bill said "to be tested annually", have not done that last 3 years with fresh water, occasionally I just switch them on manually for a few seconds. Doing a water test would be much better. Thanks Bill.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump