Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2021, 13:31   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 43
Longest Run to Waste Tank

This is my last dumb question for the day, promise...

What is the absolute furthest one should run a toilet waste line to the holding tank?

Assume the waste tank is very large, there is ample water to flush with, and the heads are all electric.

The toilet description claims it's capable of pumping up vertical 10' and horizontally 100'. It would really make my day to be able to convert the water tank in the bow to my primary waste holding tank, but that would mean close to a 30 foot run from the aft head.
BrightSEALAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 13:40   #2

Boat: Sabre 34
Re: Longest Run to Waste Tank

With a large waste tank and ample water to work with I don' think it should be a problem. In space and/or water constraint situations you would think the nearly 3 gallons of water for a single flush just to clear that long hose of waste will definitely be limiting.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 13:51   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

The absolute shortest run possible.

Long runs will eventually become a maintenance issue, almost guaranteed.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 14:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
The absolute shortest run possible.

Long runs will eventually become a maintenance issue, almost guaranteed.
Well the current, very short run, requires 3 tight corners per head and ends in a tank under the floor that's also under 10 sq.ft. of cabinetry.

Running the waste to my bow would let it travel mostly through a long straight plenum and not need any tight turns to a tank I can get to without tools and without spending any real time hunched over.

It would also trade a 25 gallon for an 80 gallon waste tank and let me double vent the waste tank.
Old 27-05-2021, 14:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
With a large waste tank and ample water to work with I don' think it should be a problem. In space and/or water constraint situations you would think the nearly 3 gallons of water for a single flush just to clear that long hose of waste will definitely be limiting.
Would I be better off using 1" hose in this case? With a little bit of a downward grade, gravity should win out but with a narrower hose the package can get chased all the way to the tank with less water.
Old 27-05-2021, 15:13   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSEALAB View Post
This is my last dumb question for the day, promise...

What is the absolute furthest one should run a toilet waste line to the holding tank?

Assume the waste tank is very large, there is ample water to flush with, and the heads are all electric.

The toilet description claims it's capable of pumping up vertical 10' and horizontally 100'. It would really make my day to be able to convert the water tank in the bow to my primary waste holding tank, but that would mean close to a 30 foot run from the aft head.
for you it is less than the length of your boat

Use the good hose as waste is going to be sitting in it and the cheap stuff isn't going to last long
Old 27-05-2021, 15:19   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Well the current, very short run, requires 3 tight corners per head and ends in a tank under the floor that's also under 10 sq.ft. of cabinetry.

Running the waste to my bow would let it travel mostly through a long straight plenum and not need any tight turns to a tank I can get to without tools and without spending any real time hunched over.

It would also trade a 25 gallon for an 80 gallon waste tank and let me double vent the waste tank.
Thats unfortunate, a choice of two evils.

If it were not for the poor tank access, I would choose the short run with tight bends...those tight bends are more likely to get cleared by a normal flush than is a long ass run.

Note that long straight runs have problems too due to water/waste standing in them. The Lagoon 45 is an example of that...stoopid long run, very trouble prone.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 19:25   #8
Marine Service Provider

The toilet description claims it's capable of pumping up vertical 10' and horizontally 100'

What's the make/model/approx age of the toilet? I know of only a couple that are capable of that.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 00:25   #9

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

My longest run is essentially a straight shot, about 30'. I use the best hose available and I do flush the electric toilet for six seconds (per Peggie's recommendation) to make sure the sewage is followed with fresh water. I also run a full bowl of fresh water into the holding tank with each pumpout to further flush the hose.

Yes, this does use lots of water but you can always double up on uses of the toilet before flushing to save water if need be. I installed new sanitary hose about 2 1/2 years ago and have had no problems.

If the V-berth is where you sleep, I'd be slightly concerned about 80 gallons of sewage directly beneath your head, even with double venting. Peggie, what say you?
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:05   #10
Marine Service Provider

I'm still waiting for the answer to this question, which I need before offering any advice:
What's the make/model/approx age of the toilet?

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:49   #11

Quote:

You will have to balance the pros vs cons. If the existing is really difficult to access and prone to failure, it may be the lessor of two evils to do a long run.

But if you run say 3 gal thru the hose every time you use it, 80 gal tank is only good for around 25 flushes, so you likely aren't going to go any longer between pump outs.

Also, 80gal is a lot of weight in the bow...Maybe 600-700lb. Not the best place to be putting large amounts of weight.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote