Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2020, 09:59   #1

Boat: Whitby 42
Looking for a quiet raw or fresh water flush head

Want to replace a manual head with an electric one. Have used Raritan Elegance in the past, love it, super quiet. Looking for something a little less expensive for a second head. Tried a Jabsco Quiet Flush on our last boat, raw water flush, and it was loud enough to wake the dead.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 10:09   #2

Re: Looking for a quiet raw or fresh water flush head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
Want to replace a manual head with an electric one. Have used Raritan Elegance in the past, love it, super quiet. Looking for something a little less expensive for a second head. Tried a Jabsco Quiet Flush on our last boat, raw water flush, and it was loud enough to wake the dead.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob
Actana

common on super yachts

http://www.leesan.com/uploaded_files/datasheets/actana%20sf%201000%202003.pdf

Good design ...inspection port on macerater pump , air switch mounted on toilet avoids electric panel installation

These are household flush up toilets for basements or poor gravity drainage areas

Fresh water flush

Quite
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 11:37   #3
Marine Service Provider

Raw water electric toilets are always noisier than toilets that use pressurized fresh water because sea water toilets have intake pumps, which can be even noisier than most macerating discharge pump/motors.

The intake pump on the sea water version of the Raritan SeaEra pump which is a bit quieter than most...but prob'ly not as quiet as you want. Raritan originally offered the SeEra as either a sea water or fresh water version, but they separated 'em and renamed the fresh water version the SeaEra QC...at a price that's not that much lower than the Elegance.

So your best choice if you want a toilet that's really quiet, is the Raritan Marine Elegance...which is the top rated macerating electric toilet and not that much more expensive than a Quiet Flush or the SeaEra QC if you know where to shop...and I do. This online retailer has it for $750 INCLUDING the $150 optional Smart Flush panel. Boatersland Marine Elegance (note that each of the boxes on that page is a menu).

The least expensive solution would be a SeaEra "conversion" which replaces everything but the bowl, seat and lid...but it's a sea water toilet. Defender has it for the best price Raritan SeaEra "conversion" at Defender

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 14:11   #4

Boat: Whitby 42

Thanks for the lead on the Elegance, Peggy. We plan on an Elegance for the master and was hoping for something cheaper, and quiet, for the other head. Currently have two Lavac heads and hate them. I don't know if it's the heads or the installation but when you can finally open the lid after flushing there is always brown water in the bowl. Yuck!!!
BobHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 14:16   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I did the integrated pump Sea Era conversion for one of my heads last year. It's anything but quiet, but it works so well that I very quickly decided to ignore the noise. It's hard to tell how much of the noise comes from the intake pump vs the discharge macerator pump, so I'm not sure how much quieter a remote pump or fresh water version would be.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 15:05   #6
Marine Service Provider

Just for fun I decided to dig a little deeper to find out whether there's a fresh water conversion kit for the SeaEra. Apparently there is...see page 2 of Raritan's promo sheet

https://www.raritaneng.com/wp-conten...rsionPromo.pdf

However, I can't tell from that piece whether the "conversion" is a replacement pump/motor assembly for any toilet or can only "upgrade" a sea water SeaEra to fresh water. So I suggest you give Raritan a call to ask them: 800-352-5630 ...and then let me know!

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 04:35   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
So your best choice if you want a toilet that's really quiet, is the Raritan Marine Elegance...which is the top rated macerating electric toilet and not that much more expensive than a Quiet Flush or the SeaEra QC if you know where to shop...and I do. This online retailer has it for $750 INCLUDING the $150 optional Smart Flush panel. [/URL]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHorn View Post
Thanks for the lead on the Elegance, Peggy. We plan on an Elegance for the master and was hoping for something cheaper, and quiet, for the other head.

In the grand scheme of things, that kind of price for two of a solution you already know you like, and for a system that you'll be living with a a while (how many years?)... is pretty good. Consider that you'll only have to learn how to maintain a single design, your spares (joker valves?) will be interchangeable, etc...

-Chris
Old 22-04-2020, 08:40   #8

Boat: Tartan 37C

Just follow what Peg Hall recommends, she is the master
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 08:57   #9

Boat: 2013 Aquila Power Cat

I purchased two SaniMARIN 35s. They are very quiet and easy to install.

https://www.saniflostore.com/Marine-RV-Toilets_c24.htm
lhuff35204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 09:44   #10

Boat: Catana 471

Had a raw-water SeaEra on our last boat. It worked really well, and I was happy enough with it, but it was loud. So if "quiet" is high on your priority list, might as well go ahead and spend the bucks for the Marine Elegance.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, water