Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2022, 12:48   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3
Looking for Recommendation for Fresh Water Flush Electric Head

I am thinking about replacing my Jabsco QuietFlush Model 37045 electric head. I am looking for recommendations on a replacement. I definitely want to stay with an electric fresh water flush head, and I am constrained by an access door to a storage area to a standard size head. However, one of the biggest complaints I have about the Jabsco I have is access to the joker valve is almost impossible. It is located on the back of the toilet, very close to the hull making changing the joker valve very difficult. Can anyone recommend a head where maintenance access is easier?

As much as they may offer benefits, I am not interested in switching to a composting head.

Thanks.
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 13:05   #2

Boat: Kristen 52
Re: Looking for Recommendation for Fresh Water Flush Electric Head

I like vacuflush, three components, the bowl, a small tank and and pump. I mounted pump at highest point in system, so when needs service gravity keeps it empty. With fresh water mine go for a couple years without service.
Old 07-06-2022, 13:06   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

If (when) I am in need of replacing a toilet I will be moving away from a fresh water flush toilet. If you like fresh water for a cleaner holding tank in brackish water or whatever consider the Raritan Marine Elegance toilets with the ability to choose between fresh or sea water flush. I had one on my previous boat. Didn't own it long enough to have a lot of maintenance so I can't comment much on that.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 14:29   #4
Marine Service Provider

The Raritan Marine Elegance is the top rated macerating electric toilet. Designed to use pressurized fresh water and is the quietest toilet on the market. Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf I've never heard of anyone who has one who doesn't love it.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 22:55   #5

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
If (when) I am in need of replacing a toilet I will be moving away from a fresh water flush toilet. If you like fresh water for a cleaner holding tank in brackish water or whatever consider the Raritan Marine Elegance toilets with the ability to choose between fresh or sea water flush. I had one on my previous boat. Didn't own it long enough to have a lot of maintenance so I can't comment much on that.
Or, a simpler fresh water option for seawater-only heads is point the shower nozze in the bowl if it reaches. Works great and much simpler than re-plumbing the whole boat .
Old 07-06-2022, 23:11   #6

Boat: Swan 57

I use the SaniMarine which can be flushed with both sea water and tank water. I've used them for 8 yrs, never failed me once. You use it exactly like a normal toilet.
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:34   #7

Boat: Island Packet 420

I am in Europe and could not get a Raritan here. I replaced my 2 Vacuflush heads with Sanimarine electric heads and could not be happier. They are quiet, they require NO maintenance! You can plumb them for either pressurized water or seawater. There is no joker valve to replace. The dealer I purchased them from informed me that he also carried the Jabsco electric heads and had them in stock, but I would have to wait for the Sanimarines. I waited- he told me he couldn't blame me, he sells the Jabsco and wouldn't recommend them!!!!!
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:34   #8

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I re-cycled my shower water into a 100 litre tank, and to stop it going rotten in storage added holding tank sterilant in the shower drain, enough for the entire tank divided by the amount averaged in use per shower (about ten to twenty litres or even less if you do as I do, dowse with water, soap up, scrub down, then rinse.) It worked out at about an egg cup ful of concentrate pre-shower. Soapy recycled disinfected water works really well, and you will not have any calcification clogging your pipes or stench of tiny dead sea critters. When the tank is full, the overflow goes over the side via the original sea water inlet stand pipe.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:19   #9

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I have the Raritan Marine Elegance. My buddy has the Dometic, don't know which one. I like his better. It is a bit quieter and does a better job flushing.

The Elegance , most likely like all electric heads are a PITA to service as the parts are accessed from the back. I've had to service mine a few times due to clogs. Oh joy. The head is held down by 3 clips screwed into the deck. Those clips have this stupid rotating piece that you need to then screw into and no, the stupid rotating piece doesn't stay where you want it to.

I bought some starboard and next time I have to service the head those clips that are now screwed into the boat will be screwed into the starboard instead which in turn will be screwed into the boat in easily accessible locations. Servicing the head is pretty easy and Raritan's customer service is excellent. Making the head easy to get out will be a very good thing.
Cpt Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:55   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Thank you, everybody, for the great information.

Tom
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:58   #11

Boat: Taswell 43

FWIW we've had the Raritan Elegance installed in one of our heads for about 4 years ago.....and have had 0 (none) issues or problems with it since installation. We tapped a line off our house water system to provide water for it-it uses minimal water (which can be increased as needed, per flush) but does a good job. and it's quiet! The only consideration is to follow both the Raritan and The Head Mistress recommendations to use only the Clean Potty(?) toilet clean product to clean the toilet-we have found it some marine stores, but not all.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:16   #12

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Marine Elegance. If you plan ahead you out in a quick disconnect between the head and the tank. All you have to do is pull it forward. Yes the rotating nuts are a pia
Old 08-06-2022, 06:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
I have the Raritan Marine Elegance. My buddy has the Dometic, don't know which one. I like his better. It is a bit quieter and does a better job flushing.

The Elegance , most likely like all electric heads are a PITA to service as the parts are accessed from the back. I've had to service mine a few times due to clogs. Oh joy. The head is held down by 3 clips screwed into the deck. Those clips have this stupid rotating piece that you need to then screw into and no, the stupid rotating piece doesn't stay where you want it to.

I bought some starboard and next time I have to service the head those clips that are now screwed into the boat will be screwed into the starboard instead which in turn will be screwed into the boat in easily accessible locations. Servicing the head is pretty easy and Raritan's customer service is excellent. Making the head easy to get out will be a very good thing.
We also have the Dometic. Can't remember the model but it has been trouble free for the 18 months it's been installed, far superior to the GalleyMaid it replaced.
rwaldrop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:31   #14

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I have pressurized fresh water at the sink near the head. I put a "T" in the head rinse tube. Then I put a "T" and normally closed valve in the cold pressure water line. A momentary switch activates the valve. I have found that 24 V AC valves work nicely on 12 V DC and they are cheap. This way you can have fresh or salt water flushing.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 14:01   #15

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I’ve got a Jabsco (not) quiet flush I plumbed with fresh water, 4 years not a single problem. I crewed 20 days on a vessel with vac-u-flush toilets not a single day went by without issue. We were rebuilding along the way.
I don’t know if there is a joker valve or not, looking to change my 2nd heads manual Jabsco, gonna follow Peggie’s advice.

Good post thank you.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, head, men, water