Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2012, 15:52   #16

Boat: 535 Norseman
Re: Low Water Flow on A/C Discharge

Since this is the closest thread to the problem I've had in the past I thought I would post here. I've had similar problems where a fish clogged the thru hull and the pump burned out due to lack of water. (It was really clogged.)

I wanted to know if there was someway I could wire a DC water coolant alarm into the system. This seems difficult as the Reverse Cycle is an AC system and I think (or at least I'm trying to) that the alarm should only be active when the pump is supposed to be running.

I already have an alarm on my main panel (DC side) but I'm not sure how the wiring would work.

Thanks
memiller279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 17:13   #17

Boat: DeFever 44
There are ways to do this. I have temp sensors connected to my exhaust elbow to sense an overheat situation with an alarm. It's based on a Chetco Systems engine gauge application. This app would allow a sensor for temp monitoring on the AC system or a normal water flow pressure sensor in the raw water line.

But for AC, this seems like an unusual occurrence and might not be worth the investment. I believe most would be protected by a high pressure sensor in the freon system and shutdown on their own if you noticed it in time.
ebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 17:17   #18

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Low Water Flow on A/C Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by memiller279 View Post
Since this is the closest thread to the problem I've had in the past I thought I would post here. I've had similar problems where a fish clogged the thru hull and the pump burned out due to lack of water. (It was really clogged.)

I wanted to know if there was someway I could wire a DC water coolant alarm into the system. This seems difficult as the Reverse Cycle is an AC system and I think (or at least I'm trying to) that the alarm should only be active when the pump is supposed to be running.

I already have an alarm on my main panel (DC side) but I'm not sure how the wiring would work.

Thanks

Our AC, and most I have worked on, automatically shuts down if the water flow stops for any period. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water