Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2023, 21:28   #1

Boat: 1991 Caliber 33
LP Gas tank fitting from regulator

I’m replacing the propane system components in the tank locker and bought a new regulator, solenoid and hoses. The new fitting from the regulator that goes into the tank fitting, has a much smaller orifice than the one connected to my tank. Although it appears the new fitting will fit in my tank fitting, I’m not sure they are compatible. What am I missing or do I need to upgrade my tank, or maybe I ordered the wrong regulator? See photos.

thanks,
DD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3487.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	277934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3467.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	277935  

DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 22:37   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: LP Gas tank fitting from regulator

No worries. The hole is plenty big enough. Your "new" regulator has a POL connector, which is being phased out, but will still work with the tank which has both a POL and a Type 1 connector. The Type 1 has big threads and is a right hand thread, while the POL has a smaller left hand thread inside the tank valve.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 13:12   #3

The POL that came with the new regulator is on the left with the tiny hole. The original is on the right. Should I just purchase a regulator with a type 1 connector, which I assume are the big black plastic knob, like on my BBQ at home. I'm assuming the regulator and POL orifice size are related, such that I shouldn't use the new regulator on the old POL.

DD
Old 10-07-2023, 14:02   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleD View Post
The POL that came with the new regulator is on the left with the tiny hole. The original is on the right. Should I just purchase a regulator with a type 1 connector, which I assume are the big black plastic knob, like on my BBQ at home. I'm assuming the regulator and POL orifice size are related, such that I shouldn't use the new regulator on the old POL.

DD
The hole is on the high pressure side of the regulator. If the hole is 1 mm in diameter, it will theoretically pass 15 gallons of propane per minute with 100 psi behind it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 16:27   #5

I'm still working out my propane upgrades. Looking at the tank valve, it has an O'ring, which the new POL male fitting does also. I struggle to believe these two fittings are compatible. My original POL fitting (on the right in the photo) does not have an O'ring, which makes sense since the tank side does. What am I missing?

DD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3467.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	279163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3487.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	279164  

Old 04-08-2023, 17:15   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
I'm still working out my propane upgrades. Looking at the tank valve, it has an O'ring, which the new POL male fitting does also. I struggle to believe these two fittings are compatible. My original POL fitting (on the right in the photo) does not have an O'ring, which makes sense since the tank side does. What am I missing?

DD
Looks normal to me. Have you screwed them together and checked for leaks?
Old 05-08-2023, 11:25   #7

I've screwed them together, but haven't turned the gas on yet as I'm trying to piece the other parts together. Issue is there is so little room in the tank locker, it's been a challenge configuring the system so it fits. I'm replacing all the components but the tank.

DD
Old 05-08-2023, 11:46   #8

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

I would strongly suggest that you consult with a qualified LP gas installer, There are many different combinations of regulators available and most are not suitable for use on a boat. I have investigated many LP "accidents" and none were pleasant and most involved self installed components. I am sure that you can consult with someone who can assist you with your installation. Start with a local LP gas supplier who installs residential LP appliances. They will likely help you for free if you are purchasing from them.

As a note , I believe that your on board system must be fitted with an "integral two stage regulator" , a remote shut off valve , and a gauge. If you are not familiar with the components please get some help.
Old 05-08-2023, 16:40   #9

Quote:
DD
Your new fitting is still a POL or more correctly a type 21. The oring was a latter modification that's all. Both styles are interchangeable and in common use. The only other fitting available is the type 27 which has an external acme thread on the cylinder but the new cylinder valves also accept the original type 21 LH internal thread.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulator