Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2023, 14:53   #16

Boat: O'Day 322
Re: LPG help, morning coffee depends on it!

I recently had an issue with my LPG tank….

Tank was empty. I carry a spare, so I changed to the spare. But I could hear gas coming from the quick hose connection. I think I damaged the fitting while yanking the tank out of the locker…

Replaced the hose, no leak, but no gas at the stove

Turns out the new hose has a check valve in it, and opening the tank valve too quickly would pop the check valve. I tried it a few times and hear the check valve pop.

I closed the valve, let the check valve reset, and then S-l-o-w-l-y opened the valve, watching the pressure gauge. Opening the valve slowly prevented the check valve from popping closed…and I had gas at the stove.

Not sure what sort of connection hose you have at the tank, but if it is newer, maybe it has a check valve in it.

By now, I am sure you have gone crazy without your caffeine…man, that is rough.

Good luck,

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 15:42   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlace View Post
I do have trident equipment and a problem I had that stopped the flow of gas was the failure of the micro switch that turned the solenoid on. I solved it by hot wiring it to a lead for one of the gas detectors. The only disadvantage is that the solenoid is virtually always open since the unit is on the galley circuit breaker.
I think if you go put your hand on that extremely hot solenoid ... you'll be prompted to fix that.
Old 01-09-2023, 20:11   #18

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanqueray View Post
I recently had an issue with my LPG tank….

Tank was empty. I carry a spare, so I changed to the spare. But I could hear gas coming from the quick hose connection. I think I damaged the fitting while yanking the tank out of the locker…

Replaced the hose, no leak, but no gas at the stove

Turns out the new hose has a check valve in it, and opening the tank valve too quickly would pop the check valve. I tried it a few times and hear the check valve pop.

I closed the valve, let the check valve reset, and then S-l-o-w-l-y opened the valve, watching the pressure gauge. Opening the valve slowly prevented the check valve from popping closed…and I had gas at the stove.

Not sure what sort of connection hose you have at the tank, but if it is newer, maybe it has a check valve in it.

By now, I am sure you have gone crazy without your caffeine…man, that is rough.

Good luck,

Greg

That is a safety feature. In case the other end of the hose is disconnected, you can't open the tank and let it discharge into the atmosphere. If the hose is very long, or if the stove is on, then it could activate by accident, which is probably what happened.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:13   #19

Boat: Custom built Skookum 53' trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by djousset View Post
The galley stove is non-responsive. Naturally this was discovered while at anchor in ideal setting REALLY looking forward to coffee. I checked the power to the solenoid, all good. I took the solenoid apart, it appears fine but can’t be certain (it’s old). Ran ashore and refilled the propane tank just in case it was low and not providing enough pressure (?). One hint perhaps is that I tried the oven pilot for kicks and it lit, although this was short lived, perhaps leftover gas in the line? I imagine it's best to replace both the solenoid and the regulator? Anything I am missing? It's not ideal to heat water for coffee on the grill....

In my experience, modern regulators fail with regularity Lol, unlike the older ones that lasted about 10-20 years
MV Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 09:20   #20

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

All the above information is spot on. One additional problem I have encountered is that current propane tank valves have a safety feature that prevents discharge of gas by opening the tank valve while no hose is connected. This feature is accomplished by the connector to the tank valve pressing against the valve opening to release gas. Twice I have encountered regulator fittings that did not press firmly enough against this safety device to let the gas flow. I was able to remedy the problem by glueing a thin washer onto the tip of the regulator connector. I do not suggest that you try this. Foufou
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 11:00   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Foufou and others are correct. If you’ve been swapping exchange tanks you probably have run into possession of the new stuff with various automatic safety features. It may be necessary to replace the connecting hoses (current geometry) to get things to work. Expect to do this every three years. Valves, hoses and regulators fail. Even the tank valves fail. If you have permanent tanks they need periodic hydro testing. Always change the valve. It’s cheap.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote