Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2023, 15:15   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988
LPG help, morning coffee depends on it!

The galley stove is non-responsive. Naturally this was discovered while at anchor in ideal setting REALLY looking forward to coffee. I checked the power to the solenoid, all good. I took the solenoid apart, it appears fine but can’t be certain (it’s old). Ran ashore and refilled the propane tank just in case it was low and not providing enough pressure (?). One hint perhaps is that I tried the oven pilot for kicks and it lit, although this was short lived, perhaps leftover gas in the line? I imagine it's best to replace both the solenoid and the regulator? Anything I am missing? It's not ideal to heat water for coffee on the grill....

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 15:48   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: LPG help, morning coffee depends on it!

If you have good hearing, you should be able to hear the gas coming from the hob before lighting it. That is an easy test. I have had multiple solenoid failures, and have had to simply bypass it until I could replace. I have had one regulator failure, and it was an obvious and huge leak from the vent hole. It still functioned.

Do you have a pressure test gauge? You should be able to pressurize the system, turn off the tank, and then if you open a hob on the stove the pressure should quickly drop to zero. If it doesn't, your solenoid or regulator are stuck.
Old 25-08-2023, 16:39   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

If the solenoid is working you will hear it's loud click as it opens - thats 1/3 of the story

To be ABYC (& insurance) compliant you must have a pressure gauge. That'll show the next 1/3.

If the solenoid clicks and your pressure gauge shows pressure, that leaves the regulator, the last 1/3 of the story.

In 30 years of full time propane cooking I've had one solenoid failure and three regulator failures.
Old 25-08-2023, 18:01   #4

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

In 30 years of full time propane cooking I've had one solenoid failure and three regulator failures.
My figures are the same, but over ten years, not thirty
Old 25-08-2023, 19:12   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
My figures are the same, but over ten years, not thirty
I went through 2 solenoids and one regulator in 2 years. The trident "marine" stuff is junk.
Old 25-08-2023, 19:15   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I went through 2 solenoids and one regulator in 2 years. The trident "marine" stuff is junk.
I've installed a number on marine propane systems but never bought supplies from a marine outlet. I buy mine from a local outfit that supplies contractors in the gas industry. https://www.fairviewfittings.com/
Old 25-08-2023, 19:40   #7

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Boatpoker and GILow make comments worth listening to. While I have never had a failure of either, I carry a fix for both.

I carry the necessary fittings to remove the solenoid valve and bypass it. I forget the fittings, and in fact I may not need any, but I have looked at the fittings to be sure that I can execute a bypass. My impetus for this was a story of a boat doing the Marblehead to Halifax race where somehow they wiped the batteries flat (and so could not turn on the stove). Cold cans of food for the entire race!

I also carry a propane regulator salvaged from a barbecue grill. Again, I am certain the fittings can be connected.

And on a related note, I carry a 1 lb propane bottle and the adapter to tie that into the propane lines.

All of the above is probably not ABYC compliant. And hopefully I will never have to use any of it. But super cheap to gather (and store it right in the propane locker) and if I ever need it I will be very glad to have it!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2023, 21:35   #8

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

As above, I carry a spare solenoid plus a male-male brass elbow I can use to quickly bypass the solenoid if needed.

I came up with the bypass idea after reading a story here on CF about a boat lost after crew had to abandon her thanks to freezing conditions and a flat battery preventing the solenoid from opening.

Also, I think my first solenoid failed after a few years because it was never turning off. I discovered that one of the relay circuits on the alarm was always on even though I was (I thought) switching the gas off via the alarm when not in use.
Old 26-08-2023, 04:03   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Many [most?] gas stoves have an integral safety thermocouple, that ensures that the propane will stop flowing, if there is no flame in the burner, to heat it.
It measures temperature, and creates electricity [“Seebeck effect”], which keeps a solenoid open, and allows gas to flow. When the flame goes out [and therefore, the heat], the valve will shut off automatically.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2023, 05:55   #10

Boat: Admiral 40

Though a little off topic here, we are extending our house LP system to our grill and looking for a housing to go through the hull that will hold the LP quick connect. I have seen one on a Lagoon 450, but cannot find it any where. Any ideas?
Sailorlady2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2023, 06:02   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlady2022 View Post
Though a little off topic here, we are extending our house LP system to our grill and looking for a housing to go through the hull that will hold the LP quick connect. I have seen one on a Lagoon 450, but cannot find it any where. Any ideas?
There are a few rules concerning such a connection. If you are not aware of them, PM me an email address and I'll send you a copy of the ABYC propane standards.
Old 27-08-2023, 09:01   #12

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:

I've never had a regulator fail, but I have also had the safety thermocouples on the stove fail.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:25   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
If the solenoid is working you will hear it's loud click as it opens - thats 1/3 of the story

To be ABYC (& insurance) compliant you must have a pressure gauge. That'll show the next 1/3.

If the solenoid clicks and your pressure gauge shows pressure, that leaves the regulator, the last 1/3 of the story.

Good stuff.

We had a tank dual regulator failure but it failed OPEN and vented 18 # of propane through the valve body. Fortunately, no boom. Replaced the regulator. I keep a spare solenoid valve as well. The hoses should be replaced about on a three year cycle.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:04   #14

I do have trident equipment and a problem I had that stopped the flow of gas was the failure of the micro switch that turned the solenoid on. I solved it by hot wiring it to a lead for one of the gas detectors. The only disadvantage is that the solenoid is virtually always open since the unit is on the galley circuit breaker.
midnightlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 12:38   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlady2022 View Post
We have one of these on board for connecting the spare single gas hob in if necessary. Haven't ever used it, but its there if we need to.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote