Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2020, 01:23   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
LPG Solenoids Australia, Peel in particular

Hi all,

This has sort of been addressed before, but just looking for ideas on LPG solenoids in Australia because none of the threads addressed my particular question.

I have the solenoid that came with my Peel gas detector. It only lasted a bit over a year before failing, in the on position, which is kinda scary.

A replacement Peel valve is about $AU200. Painful, but not near as painful as the AU$330 I see for one of the other major brands here in Oz.

Does anyone else have experience with the Peel valves? If so, did they get a better lifespan, might I have been just unlucky?

I am not keen on trying my luck with a FleaBay cheapie, not for this job, and international parcels at the moment are just a little tricky, though not impossible, so I guess I'd try a reputable international vendor if anyone had a recommendation.

Before anyone goes there, please, I do not want this to become another LPG/Propane thread that gets shut down over arguments about the safety of LPG on the boat, the regulations or the advisability of using a solenoid.

Those issues have been argued in great detail and we have all made our decisions in a fully informed manner thanks to those exhaustive debates.

Matt
Old 16-08-2020, 03:04   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: LPG Solenoids Australia, Peel in particular

Goyen used to be the best. Dunno how they go price wise though,
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 03:15   #3

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

The best and simplest system I have see: A gas rated ball valve on the cylinder, with a suitable spring to keep it closed, bowden cable leading to the stove, a bit of cord in a loop, that could be hooked onto the handle of the cable to hold the ball valve open. To shut off gas simply unhook the cord. In the event of a fire the cord was supposed to burn through, thus closing ball valve and cutting gas supply off. Seems a fail safe system!
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 03:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
The best and simplest system I have see: A gas rated ball valve on the cylinder, with a suitable spring to keep it closed, bowden cable leading to the stove, a bit of cord in a loop, that could be hooked onto the handle of the cable to hold the ball valve open. To shut off gas simply unhook the cord. In the event of a fire the cord was supposed to burn through, thus closing ball valve and cutting gas supply off. Seems a fail safe system!

Interesting, but I’d like to recover the ability of the gas detector to shut down the gas supply automatically in the event it detects a leak.
Old 16-08-2020, 03:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Goyen used to be the best. Dunno how they go price wise though,

You bl—dy ripper! That’s the same one they are selling, rebadged, for over AU$330 on various boating web sites, and I’ve already found it for under $200.

Thank you! I owe you a beer or two when I am finally allowed to go North.
Old 16-08-2020, 03:43   #6
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
You bl—dy ripper! That’s the same one they are selling, rebadged, for over AU$330 on various boating web sites, and I’ve already found it for under $200.

Prey tell - Where did you find it - I am also in the market for one.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 04:15   #7

My system is a BEP Marine 600-GDL Gas Detector controlling a GOYEN Solenoid valve, P/n 1Q6M-A1BVT-70D7.

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 04:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Prey tell - Where did you find it - I am also in the market for one.

So far....

https://www.aquavolt.com.au/category...trol-detectors

But I’ll follow up Island Hopper’s part number next.
Old 16-08-2020, 04:32   #9
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
So far....

https://www.aquavolt.com.au/category...trol-detectors

But I’ll follow up Island Hopper’s part number next.

Thanks
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 04:58   #10

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 13:39   #11

I also have a Peel unit. When installing, I noticed that there was a fine split in the insulation of the wires entering the cut off solenoid coil. It was replaced but I was a bit surprised that this should have passed inspection.
I previously had a dual solenoid system that allowed me to automatically select either LPG bottle (not usable with the Peel system). I used solenoids purchased from a company that was doing LPG gas installations in cars. Never had any problems with them over 20 years
What part of your solenoid failed? The actual solenoid coil or the mechanism that opens to allow gas to flow?
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 14:02   #12

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I'm currently using one of these https://www.bepmarine.com/en/vr2-2 ( comes as shown) bought from Marine Deals in NZ..they ship to Oz ...

I have had the Goyens.. if you turn them right way up... https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-ydm1...40.500.jpg?c=2 .... that fitting on the top is ferrous as are some internals. If you have a 'wet' gas locker salty humid air can cause these bits to rust and I have had a case split on one... possibly two... Swaddling in Denso tape should solve that problem.
Old 16-08-2020, 14:57   #13

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

Might be worthwhile to check with the local refrigeration parts wholesaler.......they have lots of solenoids...........and if not rated for LPG.........one of the suppliers to the wholesaler may well have it in their range......
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 15:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
I also have a Peel unit. When installing, I noticed that there was a fine split in the insulation of the wires entering the cut off solenoid coil. It was replaced but I was a bit surprised that this should have passed inspection.

I previously had a dual solenoid system that allowed me to automatically select either LPG bottle (not usable with the Peel system). I used solenoids purchased from a company that was doing LPG gas installations in cars. Never had any problems with them over 20 years

What part of your solenoid failed? The actual solenoid coil or the mechanism that opens to allow gas to flow?

Interesting... I will see if mine had the same problem.

It failed internally. It seems to be stuck in the on position. It still gives an audible click when you apply and remove power, but the gas path remains on at all times. From time to time the gas path does turn off, but that is rare.
Old 16-08-2020, 15:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I'm currently using one of these https://www.bepmarine.com/en/vr2-2 ( comes as shown) bought from Marine Deals in NZ..they ship to Oz ...

I have had the Goyens.. if you turn them right way up... https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-ydm1...40.500.jpg?c=2 .... that fitting on the top is ferrous as are some internals. If you have a 'wet' gas locker salty humid air can cause these bits to rust and I have had a case split on one... possibly two... Swaddling in Denso tape should solve that problem.

I found the BEP solenoid only (which is better for my installation) in the Australian site for Marine deals at a very attractive price, thank you. https://www.marine-deals.com.au/boat...-nickel-plated

From what you are saying it seems you’d recommend the BEP over the Goyen?

Tags
Australia