Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 18:50   #16

Boat: Islander 36
Re: Macerator Pump or Diaphragm pump for overboard discharge

Another vote for manual gusher pump.
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:56   #17

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
We have a similar system, except ours is an electric toilet with B/I macerator; discharge goes to a "Y" valve, and then to a holding tank or overboard. But the macerator pump we had installed would not empty the holding tank, even though the vertical lift was less than 2'. We tried everything, including rebuilding the pump, and then changing pump manufacturers.....it still did not work. I bought and installed an electric waffle pump, and it works perfectly! Don't understand all I know about the system, but I'd strongly recommend a waffle pump-manual or electric.
Waffle pump? Not sure I’ve ever heard of this.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:19   #18

Boat: Island Packet 40 cutter

There a hose fitting on the deck of my boat . It is a wash down . Connect hose turn on pump wasdown anchor fish guts or whatever. it pumps saewater
Capt. Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:19   #19

Boat: Taswell 43

Waffle pump = diaphram pump. Sorry, that's the name I've always heard and used. But definitely, it is NOT a macerator pump.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:13   #20

See attached pictures that show the deck fill, vent, and second (the second hose that looks like a garden hose input). I also included other pictures that show where they go into the holding tank.

if i want to expand to say a 1 inch hose to increase air flow, how do I deal with the old attachments to the tank, Would I drill new ones and use a uniseal or cap or plug those old holes?

Sounds like everyone thinks the diaphragm pump is the way to go. I'm going to check out sizes since I may need to get an electric one because the locker is a bit slim where this is all installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	199378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Second.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	199379  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vent.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	199380  
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 13:51   #21
Marine Service Provider

if i want to expand to say a 1 inch hose to increase air flow, how do I deal with the old attachments to the tank, Would I drill new ones and use a uniseal or cap or plug those old holes?

You'd use a Uniseal and use threaded plugs wrapped in plenty of teflon tape to seal up the existing ones.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 15:16   #22

Boat: Logan 33
Macerator Pump or Diaphragm pump for overboard discharge

Our manual diaphragm pump works well. We have same as Marathon 1150...which I’m recommissioning after 17 years (only seasonal coastal cruising). So Whale Mk5 manual diaphragm pump to empty the holding tank. After cleaning!!! the Whale pump diaphragm still looks 100% and the joker valve sits a little open, but it works, so we’ll stay with a diaphragm pump.

Incidentally a new diaphragm and valves, NZ$100, complete new pump NZ$135!
An electric pump would be nice to do even more flushing (I bought Peggie’s book; highly recommended) but that’s about NZ$500++

Question: holding tank outlet is 1.5” threaded elbow with an o-ring. To try and ensure no leaks!!! would anyone add Teflon tape, Loctite 5331, to the threads, or just let the o-ring do its job? I don’t want to do this again for a while! Many thanks.
daveNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 18:29   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post

You'd use a Uniseal and use threaded plugs wrapped in plenty of teflon tape to seal up the existing ones.

--Peggie
Thank you. Do the plugs need to be a certain type of plastic? Any particular recommendations?

If I switch to a Diaphragm pump does it matter if the waste isn't macerated from the toilet?

To put in the vent through hull, I think I'm going to need a. 90 degree fitting to allow me to install the hose.

Do you think it's worthwhile to just try a better throigh hull than the fuel tank vent that I have now, or should I just switch it out to a 1 inch line and through hull?
Old 07-09-2019, 18:37   #24

Boat: Catalina 36
Macerator Pump or Diaphragm pump for overboard discharge

I went with the diaphragm pump - whale sewage pump. Works great. I don’t have a Maserati head.
Cat36Mahalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 18:43   #25

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Perhaps the fitting with hose connection is intended to introduce fresh water to the holding tank for flushing/washing-out operations? It would worry me ever so slightly though, that I may be using a hose to take on drinking water that has just been connected to someone else’s holding tank.
A boater recently advised me to never use the existing public water hose to fill our water tanks - I disconnect their hose, connect mine, fill the tanks and reconnect their hose before departing; at least you know what the hose is being used for.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 18:53   #26
Marine Service Provider

Do the plugs need to be a certain type of plastic? Any particular recommendations?

Plain ol' schedule 80 pvc, available from the plumbing department in most big box hardware stores.

If I switch to a Diaphragm pump does it matter if the waste isn't macerated from the toilet?

Nope, because solids are 75% water, so they dissolve in the tank very quickly and quick-dissolve TP.

To put in the vent through hull, I think I'm going to need a. 90 degree fitting to allow me to install the hose. Do you think it's worthwhile to just try a better throigh hull than the fuel tank vent that I have now, or should I just switch it out to a 1 inch line and through hull?

A 1" vent line would be ideal, but whether to upgrade or just replace the thru-hull is up to you. But whichever you do, I'd rather see a long gentle sweep in the vent line than a sharp 90 at the thru-hull.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 19:02   #27

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

We cruise in an area where there are no pumpouts, and have a diaphragm pump. Fourteen years, no problems yet. We also have a manual toilet and use Noflex digester treatment in the tank. The particle size coming out is mostly as a "cloud" with no particle size I'd be worried about.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 22:36   #28

I purchased the Sealand T-series pump today. It should be here in a few days. I'm going to need to do some redo some of the plumbing on the discharge line tot he seacock - but it should be relatively simple.

Tags
agm, diaphragm, overboard, pump