Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 08:03   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Macerator Toilet - Paper

Get the book, really. Then you will know enough to ask informed questions.
Electro scan is a good thing, and if for some reason you don’t like it, it’s removable, and toilets are actually easy to change, don’t not buy a boat or buy one based on the toilet, many much more important considerations
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

You're confusing a macerator in a toilet with a macerator pump. A macerator is just a little metal blade--kinda like a blender blade--IN a toilet or macerator pump. There's no macerator pump attached to any macerating toilet because macerating electric toilets have built-in macerators.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:38   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Ok... So now I'm scared! So I'm guessing that there is no macerator at all attached to any of the toilets... I do think they are electric because in the photos there is no have pump... Is that electroscan a nightmare? Worth it? Can we add a macerator to it? I hate Marine sanitation...
Stop worrying about the thrones and think about all of the other good stuff on the boat......chances are good that the thrones work fine as is.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:26   #19

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

If you folks go to a camper dealership/ supply company they sell tp that degrades very rapidly. A bit more expensive but probably worth it.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:30   #20

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I'll jump on this one, even though it's Peggy's idea .... don't buy fancy RV or 'marine' TP, just buy some cheap single-ply in the local grocery. Test it by putting a few sheets in a container with cold water and wait for an hour; give it a quick shake. Most all of it will dissolve and turn into cloudy water in a few minutes. Apply to moist bits and flush away! If it's still together after an hour, use it at home and don't buy again.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:40   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
I'll jump on this one, even though it's Peggy's idea .... don't buy fancy RV or 'marine' TP, just buy some cheap single-ply in the local grocery. Test it by putting a few sheets in a container with cold water and wait for an hour; give it a quick shake. Most all of it will dissolve and turn into cloudy water in a few minutes. Apply to moist bits and flush away! If it's still together after an hour, use it at home and don't buy again.
True, you can save money this way. But you need to look at the purpose of the tp to begin with.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:53   #22

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe ours would eat newspaper, I really do.
You won’t have an issue with regular house toilet paper. Use plenty of water.
Do not of course flush those flushable wipes though, many if not most of those are actually plastic.

We have always flushed paper, putting it in a trash can isn’t something I see as hygienic. Even with our regular heads, just use single ply if you have a normal head, but an electric macerator should eat most anything realistic.

Ditto all that.

We use premium household, comfortable, effective paper -- maybe even 9-ply or whatever -- and we let the macerator pump on back of the toiler chew it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
You're confusing a macerator in a toilet with a macerator pump. A macerator is just a little metal blade--kinda like a blender blade--IN a toilet or macerator pump. There's no macerator pump attached to any macerating toilet because macerating electric toilets have built-in macerators.
I might offer a slight modification to your wording; the Jabsco QF, for example, calls it a "Motor and pump assembly," and it attaches to the back of a "macerator housing." Sorta built in, but it also looks like an add-on. It sorta looks like part of the toilet, though, and it's certainly not the same thing as a macertor pump used to empty a holding tank.

-Chris
Old 10-07-2019, 12:04   #23

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:

--Peggie
LOL!!! I literally had to diagram that sentence!!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:26   #24

Boat: Morgan 24/25 1967

Scarlet:
Raritan is the manufacturer of the ElectroScan see site below...these things make a difference...

https://raritaneng.com/raritan-produ...t/electroscan/
Capt. Rehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:28   #25
Marine Service Provider

There are 3 sentences in that post...which one did you have to diagram?

--Peggie
Old 10-07-2019, 13:57   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Just to throw this out there, but last year I fitted a Bidet to our head, and wow it really cuts down on TP use, and without trying to be gross, I believe it’s cleaner too.
We still use TP, mostly just to dry, and use only a fraction of what we used to.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 14:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Just to throw this out there, but last year I fitted a Bidet to our head, and wow it really cuts down on TP use, and without trying to be gross, I believe it’s cleaner too.
We still use TP, mostly just to dry, and use only a fraction of what we used to.
I have been looking at those as well. I love the idea...
Old 10-07-2019, 14:15   #28

Quote:
There are 3 sentences in that post...which one did you have to diagram?

--Peggie
That's Scarlet-speak for.. "huh?" Lol
Old 10-07-2019, 14:19   #29

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post

not

Crikey ... it doesn't disintegrate in your hand, and any macerator will make quick work of it. We have a diaphragm pump on our discharge from the holding tank and you cannot see any paper in that discharge. The stuff marked RV or Marine is just a way of selling the cheap TP at inflated prices imho. Enjoy your trip and don't stress over it.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 15:13   #30
Marine Service Provider

The stuff marked RV or Marine is just a way of selling the cheap TP at inflated prices imho.

Y're absolutely correct. I discovered that when I was at the SeaLand plant for "VacuFlush certification school." During a tour of the plant I watched an employee removing no-name TP from its wrapper and bagging it in their "marineRV" TP wrappers. I was all set to jump on adding TP to our product line when I got home...till I found out I'd have to buy a full truckload (6000 cases) to price it competitively and we didn't have anywhere near that much available warehouse space nor the ability to tie up that much $$ in inventory for as long as it would take to sell it all.

--Peggie

Tags
oil