Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2019, 08:41   #61
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Macerator Toilet - Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
The only place the discharge from a Raritan waste treatment system is prohibited by law is a federal “no discharge” zone.

Although there may be something to a private marina declaring itself no discharge zone.
I went and looked it up in my slip paperwork and yep, there it is:

"DISPOSAL OF WASTE
It is against COMPANY policy to discharge raw, treated, or untreated sewage from any description of
watercraft into the water"

In that case, the mobile pump out boat seems to be the best option for us unless we sail outside the no-discharge zone (3 miles out, I think?-still trying to remember my ASA sailing day where we sailed past the black line on the Raymarine that our instructor called the s*** line, lol).
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 11:00   #62

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post

"DISPOSAL OF WASTE
It is against COMPANY policy to discharge raw, treated, or untreated sewage from any description of

In that case, the mobile pump out boat seems to be the best option for us unless we sail outside the no-discharge zone (3 miles out, I think?-still trying to remember my ASA sailing day where we sailed past the black line on the Raymarine that our instructor called the s*** line, lol).
If you're not in a federally mandated no discharge zone, you can still discharge treated waste within the three mile line, but not in your marina that has a clause in the contract that prohibits this.

Discharge of untreated waste is permitted beyond the three mile line.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 12:06   #63

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

So I thought of another question.. because our boat will have an Electroscan treatment system that kills the bacteria.. does that also mean that we won't have to worry about smells as long as it is kept in good repair?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 14:07   #64
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

"DISPOSAL OF WASTE

Your marina can only dictate policy IN the marina. So unless all the waters around the marina are a NDZ, you can legally discharge TREATED waste once you're outside of the marina. You would have to go outside the "3 mile limit" to dump a holding tank legally though.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 14:23   #65
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
So I thought of another question.. because our boat will have an Electroscan treatment system that kills the bacteria.. does that also mean that we won't have to worry about smells as long as it is kept in good repair?

There shouldn't be any odor from the ElectroScan if you operate and maintain it according to the directions in the owners manual ElectroScan owners manual but it's not the only potential source of odors. Sea water left to sit and stagnate in the toilet flush water INLET while the boat sits can result in odor from the first flush after you return to the boat that can knock you off your feet. Permeated sanitation hoses are another source. But not all boat odors have anything to do with the head...a wet dirty bilge or sump can make a whole boat smell like a swamp or even a sewer. I can't count the number of people who've told me that they religiously pump out, and rinse out the tanks, toilet uses fresh water...they've replaced all their hoses...but they still have odor INside the boat. And the first thing I ask 'em is, "when was the last time you cleaned your bilge--really CLEANED it instead of just dumping in some bilge cleaner, letting it slosh around awhile and let the bilge pump drain it?" And the answer is usually a blank stare.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 14:24   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Macerator Toilet - Paper

As far as a Bidet as someone asked, there are many, I used this one.
Installs easy between the seat and the bowl, on ours I don’t notice the back of the seat sitting a little higher, I bought shims to shim up the front but didn’t install them, they just stick on.
It of course does have to be connected to a pressurized fresh water supply. As our head is fresh water flush that was easy. But you don’t need a fresh water head for a bidet. But I would want fresh water.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The other thing I really like sounds silly, it’s a light for the toilet, cheap and motion sensing so it turns on when you enter and keeps you from having to turn on a light.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 03:43   #67

Quote:
Just shoot me if I start pooping in cat litter.

I'm also intrigued by the ElectroScan, but my husband says I've spent all our money on toilets, so I'll have to wait on that. For now.

Do they let you dump out with the Electro-scan in the zero waste green marinas? I can't imagine sterilized poo is ok...
LOL! This is one heck of a messy topic!
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 14:34   #68
RSH

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The other thing I really like sounds silly, it’s a light for the toilet, cheap and motion sensing so it turns on when you enter and keeps you from having to turn on a light.
We've had these for years on our house and boat, and we love them! Guests always ask us where we got them. They are the best.
RSH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil