Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2012, 17:54   #1

Boat: East Orient 32 Cutter
Manual Fresh Water Pump Install

Plumbing in a new manual fresh water pump to the galley. As I have pressure water, I assume the insert point for water uptake would be before the pressure pump. Any thoughts on a check valve or non-uptake valve to keep air and water being sucked back through the manual when the DC pump is used?? Thanks!
Old 15-04-2012, 18:16   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Manual Fresh Water Pump Install

If it were me, I would come right from the tank with a seperate line. Then you don't need anything but your pump and line, no check valves to ever give trouble, no nothing but simple!! Remember the old KISS it's always the way to go even if it's some more work !! just my 2 cents
Old 15-04-2012, 19:19   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 33

I have a T fitting before the electric pump where there is a ball valve going to the line for the manual pump.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 19:28   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

the manual pump on my boat is tee'd off a pressure line, but there is a shut off valve in between.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 19:34   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

As long as the inlet valves in both pumps are in good shape, you shouldn't have a problem using a simple Tee in the supply line before the pumps. I'd try it without any check valves. If that doesn't work, add check valves.
Old 15-04-2012, 19:41   #6

I second the no check valve needed. No second line either. On the pressure side does not make any sense unless it just for a backup ... but then is it really a backup if the pressure pump is in series?
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 19:54   #7

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I should have said the manual pump I have is just for back up. It certainly is not convenient to use.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 22:03   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Hand operated pumps are literally useless. Foot pumps are just as convenient to use as pressure water leaving both hands free to do what you need. They don't waste so much water like a pressure system does, either. Have T'd off the feed line to the pressure pump from the tanks with at least 3 Whale bilge pumps and haven't had any problems.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 07:19   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
If it were me, I would come right from the tank with a seperate line. Then you don't need anything but your pump and line, no check valves to ever give trouble, no nothing but simple!! Remember the old KISS it's always the way to go even if it's some more work !! just my 2 cents
I will (eventually) install, in addition to my existing pressure hot and cold, a foot pump "ambient" tap for "off shore power" use and a seawater hand lever for pre-rinsing dishes and whatnot coming from a T off my standpipe with an inline filter to catch critters and egregious "solids".

For the second freshwater tank line, I will plumb it separately as Bob Connie suggests for the same reason I have solar and wind, and two lower-amp alternators instead of one huge Balmar: redundancy and ease of service. If the pressure water line needs fixing, I go to the foot pump, and vice-versa. No confusion about where the air leak may be or if a T-fitting is clogged, or if a check valve is stuck. Just a straight line down.

I will have four 50 gallon water tanks, so I may run the pressure water to one and the foot pump to another, with the watermaker hooked to a diverter to fill either as needed.

Anti-siphons, check valves and the like are the devil's work. Avoid when possible!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 08:04   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verities View Post
Plumbing in a new manual fresh water pump to the galley. As I have pressure water, I assume the insert point for water uptake would be before the pressure pump. Any thoughts on a check valve or non-uptake valve to keep air and water being sucked back through the manual when the DC pump is used?? Thanks!
We have a T connection in the water line that feeds our pressure pump with a connection to a foot pump in the galley without a check-valve and have not had any difficulties with the arrangement.

We use the foot-pump almost exclusively when we're at sea to prevent the waste of water that normally accompanies use of the pressure system. We only activate the pressure system when moored or anchored or dock-side and then only as necessary for a shower or wash-up. My wife did not appreciate this approach until we ran out of water on a return trip[ from the Key's after which she said she finally understood why I was always fusing about wasting water. Fortunately, I had shut off the feed line to a spare tank so we had more than enough water for the remainder of the trip, provided one used the foot pump.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 21:47   #11

Boat: Corbin 39

I have a foot pump I want to install as a back up system, is it best to feed it to its on tap or is it possible to simply plumb into the tap for the pressurized system?
Thanks
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, water