Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2022, 14:19   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Marlon seacock rotates past closed

One of my seacocks rotates past closed, the handle continues past the 90 degree angle and the 'ball' rotates past so it ends up partially open.

How does the seacock restrict the handle movement, am I missing a set screw or something?
alctel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 14:31   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Marlon seacock rotates past closed

We pulled out every Forespar Seacock and replaced them with Groco adaptor plates and stainless ball valves because we’ve seen numerous reports of frozen valves and broken handles.
A number of members still believe in plastic like Forespar and TruDesign which is not even bolted to the hull.
Go to the MarineHowTo web pages for complete instructions on replacing these plastic toy boat parts. You’ll sleep better.
The manatee crew of professional boatbuilders.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 15:06   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The seacock is supposed to have a block stopping the handle from turning past 90 degrees. It's part of the casting. You can see the track that the handle turns in, and where the bump should be, right under the handle. But, being plastic, yours may not have that block in place. Yes, while Mark has not explained just how manatees with their flippers and blubberous butts can possibly repair through-hulls, his point about "plastic toy boat parts" is well taken. Lots of boaters get along with Maralon seacocks, but if you need to replace one, I recommend that you go with bronze.
Old 06-03-2022, 19:57   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Update: Took it out, glassing over it. One less hole in the boat.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:13   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Good for you. I only have two - one is sewage discharge, which is only opened in my presense, and the other is everything else, and can be closed from the salon above the engine room. It means more hoses, but no holes in hard-to-reach places.
Old 07-03-2022, 13:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
We pulled out every Forespar Seacock and replaced them with Groco adaptor plates and stainless ball valves because we’ve seen numerous reports of frozen valves and broken handles.
A number of members still believe in plastic like Forespar and TruDesign which is not even bolted to the hull.
Go to the MarineHowTo web pages for complete instructions on replacing these plastic toy boat parts. You’ll sleep better.
Of course there are tens of thousands of Marelon seacocks that are operating just fine and plenty of frozen Groco valves out there. As far as I know there isn't a single boat at the bottom of the ocean that would still be with us today if they had only gone Graco instead of Marelon. Not to mention the chemical industry that has used PMCs extensively for decades in applications far more demanding than a seacock.

Calling them "plastic toy boat parts" is not only inaccurate but pretty immature. You don't like em, great, your boat, you're free to do a bunch of unnecessary replacement work. But one wonders why you feel the need to attack and denigrate in such a childish fashion something that is a well proven, perfectly legitimate product?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 14:25   #7

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42

Agree. All seacocks, regardless of composition, need to be exercised regularly. Should be part of any monthly maintenance schedule.
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 16:28   #8

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
The seacock is supposed to have a block stopping the handle from turning past 90 degrees. It's part of the casting. You can see the track that the handle turns in, and where the bump should be, right under the handle. But, being plastic, yours may not have that block in place. Yes, while Mark has not explained just how manatees with their flippers and blubberous butts can possibly repair through-hulls, his point about "plastic toy boat parts" is well taken. Lots of boaters get along with Maralon seacocks, but if you need to replace one, I recommend that you go with bronze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
Of course there are tens of thousands of Marelon seacocks that are operating just fine and plenty of frozen Groco valves out there. As far as I know there isn't a single boat at the bottom of the ocean that would still be with us today if they had only gone Graco instead of Marelon. Not to mention the chemical industry that has used PMCs extensively for decades in applications far more demanding than a seacock.

Calling them "plastic toy boat parts" is not only inaccurate but pretty immature. You don't like em, great, your boat, you're free to do a bunch of unnecessary replacement work. But one wonders why you feel the need to attack and denigrate in such a childish fashion something that is a well proven, perfectly legitimate product?
Here we go again. Mark the manatee is man obsessed about plastic seacocks. He chooses to use bronze on his aluminum hull even though they are galvanic enemies. The broken handle issue was corrected 30 years ago but some people just won't let go.

redneckrob is right. Tens of thousands of these valves are in use. And they do make properly flanged ABYC compliant seacocks that can be through bolted if you really think that is necessary. My 1985 boat was built with them and I have added a few over the years. Not one has failed. Can that be said about bronze?

I have replaced some of them. When I came across a few new unused flanged ones at a used boat parts store, I said to myself: "may as well replace them". Mine are held in place by the threaded through hulls and additionally screwed into epoxy coated plywood backers that are glued to the hull. The old ones are still sitting in my spare parts locker and I would not hesitate to use them again if needed.

PS. I have one 1.5 inch that will turn past closed. No big deal as it is obvious by the handle position when it is closed. Some were made that way.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 17:48   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Here we go again. Mark the manatee is man obsessed about plastic seacocks. He chooses to use bronze on his aluminum hull even though they are galvanic enemies. The broken handle issue was corrected 30 years ago but some people just won't let go.

redneckrob is right. Tens of thousands of these valves are in use. And they do make properly flanged ABYC compliant seacocks that can be through bolted if you really think that is necessary. My 1985 boat was built with them and I have added a few over the years. Not one has failed. Can that be said about bronze?

I have replaced some of them. When I came across a few new unused flanged ones at a used boat parts store, I said to myself: "may as well replace them". Mine are held in place by the threaded through hulls and additionally screwed into epoxy coated plywood backers that are glued to the hull. The old ones are still sitting in my spare parts locker and I would not hesitate to use them again if needed.

PS. I have one 1.5 inch that will turn past closed. No big deal as it is obvious by the handle position when it is closed. Some were made that way.
Yes it can. My bronze Spartan seacocks, not ball valves, are factory original and in perfect working order after thirty eight seasons.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 19:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Yes it can. My bronze Spartan seacocks, not ball valves, are factory original and in perfect working order after thirty eight seasons.
And how often do you take them apart and service them?
Old 07-03-2022, 19:45   #11

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

We have stainless Groco adaptor plates and stainless ball valves isolated from the hull. Not bronze.
We have the right to express our personal opinions on this forum.
Interesting how someone “knows” what is inside our vessel.
NO.
The manatee crew is rolling around o the deck in fits of laughter at the antics in some posts. Maybe they are toy boat building experts.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew of professional boatbuilders.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 20:09   #12

Quote:
We have stainless Groco adaptor plates and stainless ball valves isolated from the hull. Not bronze.
NO.
The manatee crew is rolling around o the deck in fits of laughter at the antics in some posts. Maybe they are toy boat building experts.
Galvanic corrosion is even worse for stainless than bronze.

https://fairwindfasteners.com/blogs/...YaAthFEALw_wcB

HA HA, ROTFLMAO my boat will still be going strong long after you will have to cut out and replace corroded aluminum plate.

I can express my personal opinions as well. Unless of course if I disagree with the great shipbuilder Manateeman.
Old 07-03-2022, 20:51   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
And how often do you take them apart and service them?
Let’s not move the goal posts…..
None have “failed”, all are serviced regularly.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 21:12   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Let’s not move the goal posts…..
None have “failed”, all are serviced regularly.
You are right. I have a knee jerk reaction to Manateeman who feels that he has the only right solution and all others are wrong.

Apology for my response. Bronze is a very good material for seacocks on fiberglass boats.

And I need to not hijack threads and try to ignore others that do.
Old 08-03-2022, 00:52   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Marlon seacock rotates past closed

Quote:

NO.

Absolutely entitled to your options , not however to denigrate others opinions

Ps you’ve no “ rights “ on a private forum, only what the owners decide to allow you to do

Tags
rot