Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2014, 06:04   #1

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick
Mediterranean gas rules.

Hi all,

Need some info about gas fixtures. We have a Gaselow dual regulator, and I believe, propane bottles. Our gas stove (A Taylor 041) is not putting out enough heat. I'm thinking that I could replace the regulator, that the old one (+20 years old) might be restricting gas flow.

When I started looking through manuals etc, I started getting confused. Apparently, Butane only is available in France and the UK. We've been getting Propane in Turkey and Greece (I think??).

So, my questions are:
1. Can a regulator be responsible for a diminished gas supply and reduce heat output.
2. What type should I get, Butane or Propane. We are heading west in the Med. In Greece this year, but heading to Italy and beyond.

Can some kind soul summarise gas rules in the EU?

Many thanks,

Steve
steve.garlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 08:15   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Mediterranean gas rules.

Yes an old regulator can become restricive. They work with a small barometer in the to keep the gas at the right dispensing pressure.
The good news is that regulators are cheap! I think mine in Turkey was US$7 and I think similar in France.
So i kept my system all the same, just different bottles and regulators

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 09:48   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Re: Mediterranean gas rules.

Propane and butane regulators run at different pressures. If you are running propane through an old butane regulator it will have a lower heat at max heat. You may also have a cooker that was optimised purely for propane, so it would have an affect on the resultant heat level.

It is possible to get a hybrid regulator 30mbar if I recall correctly. This works OK with either gas.

Regulators should be replaced after 5 years anyway, just as the orange hoses should be. In Europe the orange gas hose has a good until date on the outside of the hose - it should be 5 years so if you buy some, make sure that they don't sell you stuff that is going out of date.

Tags
mediterranean, rule