Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2021, 20:51   #16

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Re: Missing Vented Loops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
A vented loop isn't needed in the toilet discharge...*snip*

However, one IS needed in the toilet's flush water INTAKE...it belongs between the pump and the bowl *snip*

--Peggie
AH HA! I knew the prior owner of my boat had plumbed the head's intake wrong. He had the siphon break before the pump, so I had to plug the vent hole with my finger to build up enough suction to actually fill the bowl.

One more project to complete over the winter...
TheLuckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 05:36   #17

The question keeps coming into my head is this :-
If a T is inserted into any hose that should be vented and a small hose run from the T to a venting device at a suitable height above the waterline would it work like a vented loop without the additional plumbing?
This is bugging my brain, can someone put it rest for me?
Thanks
Rod

Sent from my SM-G960U using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rod B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 06:12   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod B View Post
The question keeps coming into my head is this :-
If a T is inserted into any hose that should be vented and a small hose run from the T to a venting device at a suitable height above the waterline would it work like a vented loop without the additional plumbing?
This is bugging my brain, can someone put it rest for me?
Thanks
Rod

If I understand correctly, you are asking if, instead of a loop, you run the 1.5" hose direct to the head so it is always below waterline. Install an inline tee with a small tube that reaches above waterline.

Definitely not the same. Don't do it.

Purpose of the vented loop is to keep water from flooding in the event of an internal failure or leak. A head failure in the above configuration results in flooding of the boat. With an above waterline loop but no vent, the boat will only flood if the hose is primed and full of water to create a siphon. Add a vent to the loop and the loop cannot prime and form a siphon. This is only needed on below waterline equipment such as bilge pumps, heads, and raw water engine coolant before it enters the exhaust manifold.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 06:17   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
If I understand correctly, you are asking if, instead of a loop, you run the 1.5" hose direct to the head so it is always below waterline. Install an inline tee with a small tube that reaches above waterline.

Definitely not the same. Don't do it.

Purpose of the vented loop is to keep water from flooding in the event of an internal failure or leak. A head failure in the above configuration results in flooding of the boat. With an above waterline loop but no vent, the boat will only flood if the hose is primed and full of water to create a siphon. Add a vent to the loop and the loop cannot prime and form a siphon. This is only needed on below waterline equipment such as bilge pumps, heads, and raw water engine coolant before it enters the exhaust manifold.

Peter
Of course, thank you Peter

Rod B is offline   Reply With Quote