Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2009, 12:56   #46

Alright, to be frank it is unlikely you will be able to put together an air-cooled system that works for the price you want. Here is my solution, it sounds a bit...ridiculous but go with it.

Make a cage to fit the condenser in, attach a short chain to the cage, zip-tie collant lines to the chain every three to six inches. When using your a/c...toss that S.O.B. overboard. It is the cheapest solution I can think of that will not require new parts, extra "failure points", or complex construction. Also, it will actually work.
Old 16-08-2009, 14:06   #47

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
My last post on the subject

Gord: actually you went with not only the largest BUT the most expensive to prove your point. There are others and I'll probably use 4 not just 2. As I may actually core in 2 more dorades if 2 aren't sufficient.
4" Bilge blower
or
West Marine: West Marine Search Tool
a commercial ac system still costs at or in excess of a grand, and I'm not buying.

You may continue to try to convince me to use water but I have no intention of doing so, don't waste your breath. Ok Ok I know I mentioned it but I changed my mind so forget I ever mentioned building a water jacket.

David M: Correct, to attach to an existing system you need to consider the effect of reduced flow and volume to other devices on that system. You need to consider whether or not the existing lines and fittings need to be enlarged to accomodate a new device. If so, this costs $$$ and involves changing seacocks and thru hulls. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. I am happy with the projected efficiency of air cooled and I ALREADY KNOW it works.

Engine compartments are ducted and vented on gasoline engine power boats as a USCG REQUIREMENT IN JUST THE FASHION I INTEND! My engine compartment already has ventilation and the air used is sea air(duh!) vented thru the existing dorades(Event Horizon). My intent is to increase efficiency by using forced air with bilge blowers designed for just this purpose and 1 blower for the unusual purpose of cooling the condensor (Thx to LtBrett who seems to get it).

When considering an idea one has to think things all the way through from beginning to end. Cost and effect. You can't just haphazardly say to, for example, tie in to the existing raw water system without considering the potential consequences or the costs of making it work PROPERLY. As I said before use common sense and logic in all you do. I'm not just some schmuck who knows nothing of what they are doing. There are a lot of "armchair quarterbacks" out there who know a lot about sailing but nothing of engineering (Gord you are an exception to this as I am convinced you know more than God himself ).

Thanks for your opinions, I'm out.

Feel free to now hijack or close out this thread, I'm done.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 16-08-2009, 14:09   #48

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Awright you made me do it...PS

Awright you made me do it...
PS
Event Horizon; I already have everything; the entire system, except for the fans and it didn't cost me a dime.

I also have an AIR cooled Adler-Barbour reefer but I guess that needs to be water to work properly......

To all others, pick your rep, I'll let you know when and where and he/she may come and EXPERIENCE my creation for themselves and you will become true believers!!

and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 16-08-2009, 14:12   #49

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman_Tx View Post

Feel free to now hijack or close out this thread, I'm done.
Come back and tell us how it works out please.
Old 16-08-2009, 14:55   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
At the requrest of Fishman_Tx the thread is now closed. Should Fishman_Tx care to repost a new thread with th results I'm sure EVERYONE will want to know how cool it was / is / might be.
Closed Thread