Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2011, 11:45   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to joey69
I've been looking at these a lot.I plan on slow cruising down the river.There is too much to see and explore without having to worry about trying to find a marina to pump out the tank.
joey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 15:22   #17
Marine Service Provider

Overboard is illegal inside the "3 mile limit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey69 View Post
yes,the liquid separates in the bowl and goes into a bottle to be poured out at a marina (or overboard).
Air Head Dry Toilet: Marine Composting Toilets - Environmentally Friendly Marine Composting Toilet System
It's just as illlegal to dump a jug of urine overboard as it is to dump a holding tank. And yes...urine DOES stink in the heat.

Unless you're on a no discharge inland lake, for about the same the price a Type I MSD is a better choice...nothing to separate or store. And the discharge is cleaner than most of the waters it's going into. Check out the PuraSan or the ElectroScan here Raritan Waste Treatment
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 15:25   #18
Marine Service Provider

Or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
What a waste, when you can just drag yourself behind the boat for a while.
Here's another solution: bumper dumper

The transom is a good place for it. However, I'd minimize heeling and try not to tack much...or install a seat belt!
Old 19-02-2011, 15:50   #19

Urine is Sterile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine

Don't waste it, DRINK IT !!
Old 19-02-2011, 16:23   #20

Aztec physicians used urine to clean external wounds to prevent infection, and administered it as a drink to relieve stomach and intestinal problems.
Old 19-02-2011, 17:08   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashkahuna View Post
How/where do you empty the 'liquid'? And can the urine sit in the container for days in a hot climate? I do like the composting idea.
You find yourself emptying them twice a day. It's a terrible thing if the pot fills. One person once a day is OK but two you've got to do it twice.

I cut the pedestal that supported the old marine head out and sika'd some non-slip plastic in its place. I'm over 6 ft and combined with the pedestal it was too high. Even flat on the floor they are tall. A short person would need a foot rest.

They are worth the effort but if you forget to empty that pea bucket once you'll be sorry.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 17:15   #22
Marine Service Provider

I know that and you know that...but--

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey69 View Post
Urine is Sterile.

Urine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't waste it, DRINK IT !!
US marine sanitation law (40 CFR 140.3 and 33 CFR 159) doesn't make any distinction between urine and solid waste...the law prohibits the discharge ("includes, but is not limited to, any spilling, leaking, pouring, pumping, emitting, emptying, or dumping") of SEWAGE ("human body wastes and the wastes from toilets and other receptacles intended to receive or retain body waste.")

Which makes dumping a jug of urine overboard just as illegal as flushing a toilet directly overboard or dumping a tank in any waters within 3 miles of the nearest point on the whole US coastline.

Hey...I didn't write the law, I'm just the messenger. You got a problem with this, CHANGE the law!
Old 19-02-2011, 18:49   #23
Marine Service Provider

Oh. Ooops.

But you actually made a good point: marine sanitation laws--in fact, most environmental laws--were/are enacted to make politicians look good...they have nothing whatever to do with the environment.

And I'm stuck with passing the word about 'em.

Whee.
Old 19-02-2011, 18:53   #24

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Peggie,

What ever the case WRT the bad news you may bring, I am glad you are once again an active member of this site.

THanks on behalf of all the folks who you have helped.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 19:43   #25

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Here's another solution: bumper dumper

The transom is a good place for it. However, I'd minimize heeling and try not to tack much...or install a seat belt!

Just mount it on the swim platform.That way it will be self-cleaning while you are underway.
Old 19-02-2011, 21:20   #26
Marine Service Provider

Awwwwww....shucks...<blush>...I do appreciate those kind words!

Not sure what you mean by "ONCE AGAIN an active member"...'cuz I don't think I ever have been before. Otoh, the mind IS the second thing to go...
Old 19-02-2011, 23:04   #27

Yeah it's a great head. We've had ours for several months now and I'd never go back to a wet system. But it is *much* larger than most people can imagine.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 23:18   #28

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
You find yourself emptying them twice a day. It's a terrible thing if the pot fills. One person once a day is OK but two you've got to do it twice.

I cut the pedestal that supported the old marine head out and sika'd some non-slip plastic in its place. I'm over 6 ft and combined with the pedestal it was too high. Even flat on the floor they are tall. A short person would need a foot rest.

They are worth the effort but if you forget to empty that pea bucket once you'll be sorry.
I don't know maybe we're not drinking enough but we have lived aboard with an Air Head (same as Nature's head) for a couple years now and I've never had to empty the urine container more than once every two days max. Never twice in a day.

As for the smell, we've not had a problem and my wife is very picky about that sort of thing.

As for disposal of the urine. It goes overboard. I don't care what the regs say (its sterile and my conscious is clear), besides the chance of the CG seeing me doing it in the middle of the night are zip.
Old 19-02-2011, 23:27   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I don't know maybe we're not drinking enough but we have lived aboard with an Air Head (same as Nature's head) for a couple years now and I've never had to empty the urine container more than once every two days max. Never twice in a day.

As for the smell, we've not had a problem and my wife is very picky about that sort of thing.

As for disposal of the urine. It goes overboard. I don't care what the regs say (its sterile and my conscious is clear), besides the chance of the CG seeing me doing it in the middle of the night are zip.
Twice a day isn't a neccessity but a precaution. I wonder if the urine tank is larger on the Air Head?

Can you imagine them arresting people for emptying your personal container (re:bladder) overboard? Same thing. Without the exposure.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 05:29   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Yeah it's a great head. We've had ours for several months now and I'd never go back to a wet system. But it is *much* larger than most people can imagine.

Even though it's a composting head,how often do you have to empty it?

Tags
head