Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 10:38   #1

New Membrane High TDS Results

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on rectifying high TDS in an Echotec 260DML1 water maker. It is a 12v system.

I've recently replaced the membrane with a new Filmtec SW30 2540. This is like for like from the old membrane in the system. I purchased the vessel with the system already in place.

After replacing the membrane I'm now getting a TDS reading of 600PPM. I ran the membrane for a 4 hours and the lowest reading was 560PPM.

Pressure is good at 800-900psi and flow rate is at 60 litres per hour (11GPH). This is as per manufacture specs. I've gone to the extent of replacing all O-rings in the pressure vessel and have seen no difference.

The membrane supplier has been accomodating and sent a second membrane. This membrane arrived with the vacuum seal broken and moisture inside the bag surrounding the membrane. This made me question the quality but never the less, I fitted this replacement membrane and TDS reading were even worse: 850-860PPM.

This has been ongoing for over 5 weeks now and I'm getting desperate for a fix. I've read plenty of good posts on here but nothing has been successful in this case.

The manufacturer of the water maker has advised me it is most likely the membrane and I should be using their proprietary membranes. These are more than double the cost of the Filmtec membranes and shipping costs are huge.

I'm after advice from someone more knowledgable than me. Should I go for the proprietary membrane or is there something I'm missing. I find it hard to believe I could have been sent two faulty membranes but the thought is in the back of my head.

Cheers,
Tim
Timmyjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:57   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: New Membrane High TDS Results

OK, If the manufacturer is using proprietary membranes what makes them priority over a standard DOW 2540 that seemed to fit? I would check both the exact length of the membrane and the diameter of the membrane's product tube to make sure they are the same as your old membrane. Proprietary membranes difference is usually nothing more than changing a few of these measurements. If it is the same length and exact same diameter it should work. Your production is off 2 gph, this could be an indicator of a possible flow issue as well. Check what your brine flow is supposed to be from the manufacturer and do a flow test to make sure you are there.
Any new membrane whose seal is broken or shipping bag that is bloated with moisture on the bag itself is going to be suspect. Also, you did put the brine seal on the right side correct? I know but you'd be surprised.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote