Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2021, 05:06   #1
cruiser

No Water at any fixture

I was gifted a 1984 Hunter 25.5. I have been cleaning and repairing and decided to try the water system. I filled the tank completely and there is no water in the bilge. So I thought I was golden. But none of the pump fixture, sinks or head, get water. And suggestions? It has been completely dry for a few years. I do not know if it was ever used.
wwlgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:11   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: No Water at any fixture

Is there a pump running? Popular fails are clogged filter and bad pressure switch.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:12   #3
cruiser

Nope, Galley sink, Head sink and toilet. None get water
Old 12-12-2021, 05:42   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

See if there is a shutoff between the tank and water systems. This isn’t rocket science. Start tracing water from the source.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:49   #5
cruiser

and I wasn't born yesterday, so keep your smart ass remarks to yourself. There is not a shutoff that I can find, that was the first thing I looked for. If you know where it is then that would be helpful.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:50   #6
cruiser

I was thinking maybe it was just the pumps themselves being dried out and just not pumping water.
Old 12-12-2021, 05:58   #7

Boat: Lagoon 380
No Water at any fixture

I have had to take the pump out and test with a bucket. Many of these have rebuild kits. But in a disused system have also seen clogs near the tank pickup. Dried debris of sorts.
Some chance the footpump at the gally is fed fresh water, mine is. If that works, then the el pump is suspect.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:00   #8
cruiser

Thank you sir, my plan for today was to remove them and see if I could get a siphon onto one of the hoses and try to power some water out. My plan is for a 12v pressure pump for it.
Old 12-12-2021, 08:01   #9

Boat: Bristol 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwlgray View Post
and I wasn't born yesterday, so keep your smart ass remarks to yourself. There is not a shutoff that I can find, that was the first thing I looked for. If you know where it is then that would be helpful.
You might not have been born yesterday, but you clearly don't know much about water systems on boats. You come here asking for help and then disparage a good suggested start, which you clearly haven't done or you would have discovered that your toilet isn't connected to the water tank at all, and instead likely has its own manual seawater pump. It's amazing we bother to try to help you at all.
Sun and Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:36   #10

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
With a response like that, I don't think you'll get much help here or anywhere else.

Boats are a bit complicated and you will have to learn to figure some things out for yourself. Your water system may have one or more valves, one or more filters and one or more pumps.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:56   #11

Boat: Tartan T4400

WWLGray You havent given us much to go on, please provide what have you checks you have performed alredy. Many people here are trying to help you and providing things to check no reason to get defensive you can here looking for help. I have to suspect there is a valve to isolate the water tank. 1. Is there a shut off valve for the tank? Trace the supply line from the tank to the pump then to each faucet. Are there any blockages in the supply line? 2. Is there a manifold where you can shut off water to each user?
3. Is it a 12 volt pump or is there a foot pump at each faucet? 4. If 12 volt pump is it operating? I think you say the pump isn't operating see next question.
4. If the pump is not running is it getting 12 volts (check fuses, breaker ect)?
5. Have you opened and inspected the tank is the pick up cloged did id become disconnected?
6. Check the vent on the tank.
This should give you a good starting point along with what others have said.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:46   #12

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Water systems on a 25’ production boat are about as simple as any system possibly could be. You come here with no info and apparently don’t even know how to figure out if water gets to a pump. Does the water come out of the tank? Did you search for the system diagram for the 25.5?

You have a simple boat with simple hoses, all easily accessible. We’re pretty good here, but with what little you’ve done for yourself, and what negligible info you’ve provided, even Karnak isn’t going to have an answer. And with your poor attitude, maybe your better to ask at Sailing Anarchy.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:13   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
With a response like that, I don't think you'll get much help here or anywhere else.

Boats are a bit complicated and you will have to learn to figure some things out for yourself. Your water system may have one or more valves, one or more filters and one or more pumps.
I understand a lot about boats, just never had a sail boat. And I understand the bite back remark. His answer was sound, the rocket science thing is used when people think they are better than you. That is what my response was for. I understand having to learn things and I have fixed the water issue. It was dried out o-rings. I went to ace got an approximate and cut it to fit. Thanks everyone for all the answers.
Old 13-12-2021, 10:32   #14

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Worked on a boat with a similar problem.
Full tank, clean strainer, pump ran, no water to fixtures.
The issue was a mud-dauber/wasp deposit had clogged the tank vent.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 11:07   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

Knock it off. You asked for help. The number of newbies that ask your kind of question and didn’t think of the a really basic answer like the shutoff is astounding.

You are new. Until you have posted a while we don’t know if you are a newbie or not.

The answer wasn’t smartass, it was appropriate for a newbie. In the future ignore or say Thank You and move on.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water