Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2023, 16:05   #1

Boat: O'Day 30 CB
Nylon hose barbs below waterline?

I'm helping a friend with her boat. It's a mid-eighties Catalina 30. She uses it for sunset cruises & such. She'd like hire me as a captain, and I'm kinda picky- I want to be pretty confident whatever boat I'm using will stay on TOP of the water, and also NOT disappear in a ball of fire.

I'm in the process of replacing the transom thru hulls, cooling hoses, some wiring, and more. The boat is on the hard for the winter.

As far I as know, this boat has passed the state DNR charter boat inspection every year for many, many years. It has a current, 2023, DNR approval sticker.

The raw water intake for the motor appears to be a bronze thru hull with a ball valve on top. The hose barb appears to be unreinforced nylon. This is obviously well below the water line. At the Groco strainer, which is more/less at the waterline, there are more unreinforced nylon hose barbs. Is nylon OK in this application? (99.44% sure I know the answer)

Next, we move forward to the sink drain for the head. This fitting is about 12" below the waterline. It also looks like a nylon hose barb, and the thru hull does not instill confidence in me. Opinions?

I found similar installations in my boat, and I replaced all of them with flanged seacocks and Marelon or bronze fittings. I want to check my thinking before recommending (demanding if I'm the capt'n) my friend do the same.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 16:12   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Nylon hose barbs below waterline?

Well by abyc the answer is no

Even though I know I have 1 installed.
Old 12-10-2023, 16:29   #3

As long as you’re being picky, you should insist on flanged seacocks and substantial backing plates, as well as bronze fittings and reinforced hoses.
The sink drain does look very fragile!
kapnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 16:56   #4

Boat: Grampian 30

Long term (what that means is up to the individual) I would want the sink drain assembly changed out regardless of whether it had passed an inspection. However, since it did pass inspection, and if I was confident that it was in generally good condition, unlikely to suffer damage, and could be easily inspected during a watch cycle, then I don't think I would make an immediate requirement before I was willing to take it out for a sunset cruise.

The raw water intake I would definitely make a requirement to change before setting sail, especially with a fresh water boat that sees months of freezing temperatures out of season. I have seen first hand those non-reinforced fittings crack due to freeze thaw action over winter. It might be fine, it might not, not a chance I would be comfortable with. A bronze or marelon barb would not break the bank and be satisfactory enough (for me) without changing out the whole thing.
Nekton73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 14:14   #5

Thanks all.

I'm finding all sorts of things to fix.

Boats are fun.
Old 13-10-2023, 15:00   #6

Three times while working in my engine room I have broken off plastic hose fittings by putting weight on them unintentionally.

You could argue that I should be more coordinated, and that might be true, but WHY would anybody think these were a good idea in an application that could sink your boat??? And not just at the dock, but 1000 miles offshore?

None of these were raw water/below waterline applications, but a useful lesson is there to be learned nonetheless.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 15:06   #7

Nylon hose barbs below waterline?

The sink drain in your photo, is it above the waterline? I don’t trust hose barbs that aren’t bronze or stainless steel, they tend to crush if too much pressure from the hose clamps is applied to stop a leak.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 16:32   #8

The sink drain is about 12" below the waterline.

Coordinated? Nope, not me- lol. On my own boat, I've put quite a bit of effort into making it harder for me to inadvertently mess things up.

Tags
water