Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2022, 12:02   #61
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Ogo (composting) toilet - any users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I have a prototype using the Separett. This allowed me to discover the smallest box I can make to contain everything. This prototype will eventually be the shop head. This uses a Home Hardware 19 litre pail...
Interesting as I am also building my own because none of the availabe ones will fit in my small space. Mine will be 17"D x 15"W x 15"H.
Have you given consideration on how to install/use an agitator? I am designing a mixer to work in a 5 gallon bucket.[/QUOTE]

My suggestion, in such a small size, is to skip the mixer. Just add a scoop of media with each use, and use a sturdy bag liner (can't use a bag with a mixer). Mixers make good sense in larger versions that can go longer between servicing.
Old 12-01-2022, 18:06   #62

Boat: 1978 PS Mariah 31, #52

My input into this conversation is my Airhead works great when in calm conditions, and I mean when my ass is on the can. Underway in heavy seas, healed over, depending on the tack, it can lead to some interesting poops, and pee’s. Definitely empty the piss jug before departing. With that said I love compost/desiccating heads on a boat. Just be aware when underway.
LarryDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 19:00   #63

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDW View Post
My input into this conversation is my Airhead works great when in calm conditions, and I mean when my ass is on the can. Underway in heavy seas, healed over, depending on the tack, it can lead to some interesting poops, and pee’s. Definitely empty the piss jug before departing. With that said I love compost/desiccating heads on a boat. Just be aware when underway.
This has never been an issue for me with our Nature's Head. Maybe I'm more of a chicken sailor . Although, Newfoundland waters have given me some pretty ugly days.

Actually, I did have one very ugly event happen on one Newfoundland day. We got into some very big, nasty seas/winds, and I had forgotten to close off the vent hatch. Got a couple gallons of sea water washing into the main bin. Not fun... but I've never made this same mistake since .
Old 12-01-2022, 19:38   #64

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDW View Post
How is the head oriented, athwartships or fore/aft?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 19:40   #65

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

My experience is that a fore/aft orientation would lead to a better aim on either tack.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 15:08   #66

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I have a prototype using the Separett. This allowed me to discover the smallest box I can make to contain everything. This prototype will eventually be the shop head. This uses a Home Hardware 19 litre pail...
Interesting as I am also building my own because none of the availabe ones will fit in my small space. Mine will be 17"D x 15"W x 15"H.
Have you given consideration on how to install/use an agitator? I am designing a mixer to work in a 5 gallon bucket.[/QUOTE]

No. I believe the appropriate level of technology here is a "beat down stick" with some kind of holster. Think a paint stir stick but perhaps a bit longer. The holster might be a capped piece of 1-1/2" ABS waste pipe. This might violate some people's sensibilities, but honestly the regular stench of a wet head, or working on same, is quite vile too LOL.
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 08:26   #67

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Good Old Boat magazine (May/June 2020) has several articles about "composting" toilets. These articles may answer some of the questions the OP posed.

https://goodoldboat.com/MagazineDist...32-LZAYDYA.pdf
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2022, 13:52   #68

Here's a comparison of some different models. -- Unfortunately my main contenders, Ogo and CompoCloset, are too new or not even released (but I will wait... )

Below the footnotes, the .xls file contains some comments in addition (edit: files reposted, fix some alignments):

*Remarks:
- BioToi has quite some variants e.g. with/without fan and prices differ
- C-Head currently not available in Europe (due to Covid), weight/volume unsure, 10 - 15 uses according to "5 - 7 days waste for 2 persons"
- Compocloset still in development currently only for preorder, in one table the weight is given as 20 lb, the fan is internal (with carbon filter)
- Nature's Head: add 3.8 cm depth to tilt and 5.1 cm to slide left, 40 uses acc. to "2 people usage require emptying approx. every 3 weeks"
- US prices probably without sales tax, € prices incl. tax
**either diverters only or misc. other diverting toilets
***standard boat toilets for comparison
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compost__toilets___compare.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	252131  
Attached Files
File Type: xls toilet_comparison.xls (32.5 KB, 60 views)
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 14:12   #69

Boat: Outremer 55L

Something to consider is your usage profile and time to fill.

If you are OK with relatively frequent changeovers then a small capacity non-stirring device is fine.

If you want to stretch the changeovers as much as possible then a larger capacity unit is needed. I’m not sure but I expect that stirring is more efficient for capacity than no stirring and adding more media with each use. Is that correct?

We have a Nature’s Head. For the two of us under normal circumstances we go about 3 weeks between changeovers. Given that we sail into offshore waters frequently between cruising spots that suits us just fine and allows us to spend longer in NDZ areas without worrying about bagging and dumping ashore or storing onboard.

Our boat also has a direct discharge wet head and we use that offshore.

Emptying the pee tank is a twice weekly chore and in NDZ areas we’ll take it ashore to local facilities or into the ground well away from any running water. If we’re in an area with good tidal flows then we discharge the pee tank into the water. I prefer to pee directly over board, but that’s not possible for my wife.

Toilet paper adds a fair bit of bulk to the media, so we usually put the paper into a separate container and either send it through the wet head (which has a macerator) or add it to our trash.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:46   #70

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

So many workable choices for the many boat sizes and boating styles. There are truly a number of appropriate choices from the toilets available. Hats off to those developing these products.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 21:11   #71

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
It's great that there seems to be a recent explosion of new entries onto the market recently, really shakes things up
Thank you - cleaning my coffee off the wall opposite me!
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:25   #72
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Just a bit of an update. I've purchased and installed an OGO head on my boat in the forward head at this point. I'll be checking out it's function this coming summer, first test will be the first two weeks of May when I'll be sailing with a friend of mine.

Just a question for the seasoned users of these composting heads - how do you know it's time to change out the solids bin? Or once you use these, does it becomes self-evident?

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:53   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
Just a bit of an update. I've purchased and installed an OGO head on my boat in the forward head at this point. I'll be checking out it's function this coming summer, first test will be the first two weeks of May when I'll be sailing with a friend of mine.
I look forward to the report.

Quote:
Just a question for the seasoned users of these composting heads - how do you know it's time to change out the solids bin? Or once you use these, does it becomes self-evident?
It is fairly obvious. I find once the churner becomes hard to move, then it's time to change. Sheer volume of material is also a good indicator, but once it becomes hard to turn over, it's time to change.

For us, with our Nature's Head, that generally happen every four weeks (ish), with a range of between three to six. That's for two adults, full-time.
Old 12-04-2022, 14:03   #74
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I look forward to the report.

It is fairly obvious. I find once the churner becomes hard to move, then it's time to change. Sheer volume of material is also a good indicator, but once it becomes hard to turn over, it's time to change.

For us, with our Nature's Head, that generally happen every four weeks (ish), with a range of between three to six. That's for two adults, full-time.
The Nature's Head is larger than the OGO, I'm not sure by how much. I couldn't have fit a Nature's Head in the space where this toilet is going very well at all. The footprint of this head was perfect from my boat.

I must say, I quite like the whole design of this OGO head so far. It is quite attractive looking and the installation so far has been straight forward. I'm going to be the guinea pig for a carbon filter add-on that OGO is working on developing. This way I don't have to run an external vent. I happen to have the most smells sensitive human I've ever known that may be joining me from time to time. I figure if it passes her nose test, there cannot be any emissions to speak of that anyone could notice....

The first two weeks of May will be a buddy and I so that should give a good first pass test. I understand you like using Coco Coir for the composting medium. I've been reading about using 50/50 Coco Coir and corn cob kitty litter. Have you any experience using that combo? Some say it extends the useful life.

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 14:16   #75

Quote:
The Nature's Head is larger than the OGO, I'm not sure by how much. I couldn't have fit a Nature's Head in the space where this toilet is going very well at all. The footprint of this head was perfect from my boat.
Yes... the NH (and Air Head) have a largish footprint. This is why it's so great to see others like OGO come into the market. I really think there's a wide range of needs and demand for this kind of product. I expect to see a steep uptake, especially when these newer models become better known.

Quote:
I must say, I quite like the whole design of this OGO head so far. It is quite attractive looking and the installation so far has been straight forward. I'm going to be the guinea pig for a carbon filter add-on that OGO is working on developing. This way I don't have to run an external vent. I happen to have the most smells sensitive human I've ever known that may be joining me from time to time. I figure if it passes her nose test, there cannot be any emissions to speak of that anyone could notice....
This sounds like a good test. Question: Does the OGO have a vent that exits in the cabin? Or is it just ambient-vented? How/where does the carbon filter sit in the airstream?

I know C-head also does not require an external vent, or even active air flow via a fan like NH or AH. It is also smaller, like the OGO, and requires more frequent emptying. I suspect this is how they avoid the need for more active venting.

Quote:
The first two weeks of May will be a buddy and I so that should give a good first pass test. I understand you like using Coco Coir for the composting medium. I've been reading about using 50/50 Coco Coir and corn cob kitty litter. Have you any experience using that combo? Some say it extends the useful life.
I've only ever used straight coir, so couldn't say. I've heard many other options, including sawdust, dried leaves, dried coffee grounds. Do let us know about the corn cob litter. That would be a new one (to me).

Tags
oil, posting