Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2022, 14:39   #76
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41
Re: Ogo (composting) toilet - any users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes... the NH (and Air Head) have a largish footprint. This is why it's so great to see others like OGO come into the market. I really think there's a wide range of needs and demand for this kind of product. I expect to see a steep uptake, especially when these newer models become better known.
It was really the height. The footprint wasn't a big problem, although now that the OGO is installed the smaller footprint is quite nice as I can sit on the head with my feet also on the ledge it sits on and makes for a very comfortable seating arraingement. I'll let you know how well that works when sailing once I have experience in that area.

Quote:
This sounds like a good test. Question: Does the OGO have a vent that exits in the cabin? Or is it just ambient-vented? How/where does the carbon filter sit in the airstream?

I know C-head also does not require an external vent, or even active air flow via a fan like NH or AH. It is also smaller, like the OGO, and requires more frequent emptying. I suspect this is how they avoid the need for more active venting.
The OGO has an active airflow much like the Airhead. I beleive the carbon filter will sit on the exit where you would otherwise attach the vent hose (which comes with the toilet). But as it's in the mail on it's way to me now, I'll know better once it arrives.

The OGO does have a positive air flow, something I was a bit worried about with the C-Head. I am rather concerned with odors, I have a fresh smelling boat and am not going to change that. If the carbon filter does not work up to the "smell" standard I'd like, then I'll install the vent to the outside. It turns out on my boat installing a vent will be a rather involved process that I'd prefer not to have to do. So I'm really hoping this carbon filter performs well. It certainly has the potential to do so, carbon filters are excellent at removing odors. I won't mind having to carry extras if they only last say a month or so. Not having to install a vent and having that extra maintenace step does not bother me at all.

Quote:
I've only ever used straight coir, so couldn't say. I've heard many other options, including sawdust, dried leaves, dried coffee grounds. Do let us know about the corn cob litter. That would be a new one (to me).
I'll report back on this as soon as I have some data. I will initially use 50% coco coir and 50% corn cob kitty litter. Seems to be a good option for me as I do wish to have as extended a time as possible with the solids potion of this unit.

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 04:02   #77

Quote:
Yes... the NH (and Air Head)
I know C-head also does not require an external vent, or even active air flow via a fan like NH or AH. It is also smaller, like the OGO, and requires more frequent emptying.
Mike - your opinion please. Do compost heads need active fan airflow? I know many people state they get along fine without, but what's your best thinking? I had a hard time venting my NH installation but was committed to it - rather install and not need it than the reverse. I have used it so don't have first hand experience.

Thoights?
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 05:09   #78

Boat: Seaquest46

Anybody have experience with Compoost? We are thinking of ordering 2 for our Catamaran.

We like the slim, modern look.

https://compoosttoilets.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600_3000c86a-8bf3-4281-93e6-cb4577f0f228_1080x.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	255905  
Ratel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 05:59   #79
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
It was really the height. The footprint wasn't a big problem, although now that the OGO is installed the smaller footprint is quite nice as I can sit on the head with my feet also on the ledge it sits on and makes for a very comfortable seating arraingement. I'll let you know how well that works when sailing once I have experience in that area.

The OGO has an active airflow much like the Airhead. I beleive the carbon filter will sit on the exit where you would otherwise attach the vent hose (which comes with the toilet). But as it's in the mail on it's way to me now, I'll know better once it arrives.

The OGO does have a positive air flow, something I was a bit worried about with the C-Head. I am rather concerned with odors, I have a fresh smelling boat and am not going to change that. If the carbon filter does not work up to the "smell" standard I'd like, then I'll install the vent to the outside. It turns out on my boat installing a vent will be a rather involved process that I'd prefer not to have to do. So I'm really hoping this carbon filter performs well. It certainly has the potential to do so, carbon filters are excellent at removing odors. I won't mind having to carry extras if they only last say a month or so. Not having to install a vent and having that extra maintenace step does not bother me at all.

I'll report back on this as soon as I have some data. I will initially use 50% coco coir and 50% corn cob kitty litter. Seems to be a good option for me as I do wish to have as extended a time as possible with the solids potion of this unit.

dj

We’ve been using the half coir half corn cob litter for the last few months. Started of great, we were able to double our time between changes. The last couple of loads for some reason had a really bad odor and the only thing I can think of is the temperature is significantly hotter now than it was. We tried straight corn litter and the odor remained. This last batch is a coir/aspen bedding mix, our old go to, and no odor at all. It’s a shame as we thought the corn cob litter was going to be the cats ass.........
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 07:20   #80

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Mike - your opinion please. Do compost heads need active fan airflow? I know many people state they get along fine without, but what's your best thinking? I had a hard time venting my NH installation but was committed to it - rather install and not need it than the reverse. I have used it so don't have first hand experience.

Thoights?
My view is that active venting is required for the larger composting heads (like Nature's and Air). My best guess is that the smaller heads, like C-head and some newer entries, avoid the need for active venting because they are emptied more frequently. The feces bins for NH & AH are twice the size of CH. This allows for much longer emptying cycles, but also requires more effort to keep the pile at the right moisture level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratel View Post
Anybody have experience with Compoost? We are thinking of ordering 2 for our Catamaran.

Another new one . Sorry... no experience, but it looks interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We’ve been using the half coir half corn cob litter for the last few months. Started of great, we were able to double our time between changes. The last couple of loads for some reason had a really bad odor and the only thing I can think of is the temperature is significantly hotter now than it was. We tried straight corn litter and the odor remained. This last batch is a coir/aspen bedding mix, our old go to, and no odor at all. It’s a shame as we thought the corn cob litter was going to be the cats ass.........
Good report SMJ. Thanks.

I've only ever used straight coir. It's easy, and cheap, and very accessible in my experience. But it's great to know what other bedding materials work, or don't work.
Old 13-04-2022, 16:55   #81
dlj

Quote:
This is very interesting. What kind of temperatures did you find the odor occurring at? Do you wash out the bucket before replacing? Where do you get your aspen bedding mix? I've also heard that is quite good. What kind of head are you running. Sorry, lots of questions....

dj
Old 13-04-2022, 16:57   #82
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratel View Post

Have you looked at the OGO? Just a question. I quite liked the physical appearance of the OGO, it works well in my location visually. If the above works better for your location, by all means, try it out. And post back here how it works for you.

A couple observations: The OGO has an electric run stirrer - this may be good or bad, time will tell - but it does give the option to be using it and turning on the stirrer in the process - according to the C-head info, covering the poop helps greatly to cover the smell. I see the compoosttoilets has a carbon filer. But I don't see where it has forced air flow - does it? I didn't see a fan inside anywhere nor it specifically talk about it. I personally want the option to vent in any way I find necessary....

dj
Old 13-04-2022, 18:49   #83
smj

Quote:
This is very interesting. What kind of temperatures did you find the odor occurring at? Do you wash out the bucket before replacing? Where do you get your aspen bedding mix? I've also heard that is quite good. What kind of head are you running. Sorry, lots of questions....

dj

We have a C-Head.
Temperatures were in the low to mid 80’s, but can’t guarantee that was the cause of the odor.
Never wash out the bucket before changing.
Aspen bedding can be bought from any pet shop, Walmart or Amazon.
Old 13-04-2022, 18:57   #84
dlj

Quote:
We have a C-Head.
Temperatures were in the low to mid 80’s, but can’t guarantee that was the cause of the odor.
Thank you for the clarification. I'm learning more every day...

dj
Old 14-04-2022, 00:19   #85

Boat: Seaquest46

Quote:
Have you looked at the OGO? Just a question. I quite liked the physical appearance of the OGO, it works well in my location visually. If the above works better for your location, by all means, try it out. And post back here how it works for you.

A couple observations: The OGO has an electric run stirrer - this may be good or bad, time will tell - but it does give the option to be using it and turning on the stirrer in the process - according to the C-head info, covering the poop helps greatly to cover the smell. I see the compoosttoilets has a carbon filer. But I don't see where it has forced air flow - does it? I didn't see a fan inside anywhere nor it specifically talk about it. I personally want the option to vent in any way I find necessary....

dj
I believe there is a fan inside the Compoost which pulls air inside and forces it through the carbon filter
Ratel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 07:27   #86

Quote:
Indeed... don't wash the bin. Normally I just empty the contents, and perhaps roughly brush out any excess. Leaving it rough just helps start the next compost cycle.

I've heard of people using aspen or cedar bedding. What do you think the benefit of this is over straight coir?
Old 14-04-2022, 09:49   #87
smj

Quote:
Indeed... don't wash the bin. Normally I just empty the contents, and perhaps roughly brush out any excess. Leaving it rough just helps start the next compost cycle.

I've heard of people using aspen or cedar bedding. What do you think the benefit of this is over straight coir?

My wife says the aspen bedding is significantly less expensive than the coir but still absorbs moisture. Maybe next change we will test 100% coir and report on the experience.
Old 14-04-2022, 10:00   #88

Quote:
My wife says the aspen bedding is significantly less expensive than the coir but still absorbs moisture. Maybe next change we will test 100% coir and report on the experience.
Wow, we gotta swap best-buys! I usually buy my coir in batches from various online stores. The most recent purchase was for 10 bricks (650gm -- the standard size I think) for $60, or about $6/brick. I usually use approx. one brick per cycle.

The other great benefit of coir is that it comes compressed, so it's easy to carry many months of supply.
Old 14-04-2022, 10:08   #89
smj

Quote:
Wow, we gotta swap best-buys! I usually buy my coir in batches from various online stores. The most recent purchase was for 10 bricks (650gm -- the standard size I think) for $60, or about $6/brick. I usually use approx. one brick per cycle.

The other great benefit of coir is that it comes compressed, so it's easy to carry many months of supply.

I think we pay about the same, $5-$6 a brick. One brick at a 50% ratio with aspen bedding would last us about a month. The aspen bedding was about $6 and that will last about 3 months. So total for coir and aspen bedding per month would be $7-$8, where all coir would be $10-$12. Looks like you are getting away cheaper, but one must also compare deposits to be truly accurate, and that ain’t gonna happen!
Old 14-06-2022, 13:10   #90

Boat: MV Shipyard Vineyard Vixen 29

Hi all, I'm in "data-gathering" mode re: composting toilets, and Mike recently provided me with a list that included the OGO. For many reasons this seems it would be the best fit for me. The only yellow flag for me is the power-only agitator.

I'm particularly interested in hearing an early review from @dlj. How is it working out after your first few outings? I'd like to hear more about the carbon filter as well, and whether it provides the necessary odor control to keep the Admiral at bay. If I pursue a purchase, I'm going to ask to be a beta-tester for the non-venting option as well.
Sea Glass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, posting