Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2022, 17:38   #106

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Ogo (composting) toilet - any users?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratel View Post

On the boat I will connect an activated carbon filter to the vent, this will add an additional layer of smell prevention (although it is hardly necessary, as proven).There is no reason to vent outside.

We have a Nature’s Head, so larger solids volume I think. Ours is vented outside (using the vent opening once used by the holding tank we removed) and has a small computer fan pulling air out of the solids area. We also use coco coir. Does the OGO have a fan on the vent?

A few times when the power was off for the fan we had some smell in the head - not awful or strong, but definitely not neutral. I’m not sure about venting into the interior. But I’m glad it works for you.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:22   #107

Boat: Seaquest46

The OGO has a small fan pulling air into the unit and forcing it out of the vent.

As I've mentioned, we had no smells after one week. Using a carbon filter will make double sure
Ratel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 05:41   #108

Boat: Rafiki 37

Part of the reason these smaller versions can vent into the cabin, or have no venting, is because they are designed for shorter cycles/smaller volumes.

The larger versions require active external venting because they are designed to manage larger volumes over a longer period of time. The smaller versions don't require it, or require much less, because they only have to manage smaller volumes over shorter periods.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:47   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Part of the reason these smaller versions can vent into the cabin, or have no venting, is because they are designed for shorter cycles/smaller volumes.

The larger versions require active external venting because they are designed to manage larger volumes over a longer period of time. The smaller versions don't require it, or require much less, because they only have to manage smaller volumes over shorter periods.
Probably more a belt and suspenders approach with the larger ones. Where as the newer smaller units have the benefit of experience from the larger units.

The main reason for venting is to provide plentiful oxygen to the pile, so the decomposition stays aerobic. I've hear from a number of people, that they never bothered to hook the vent up on the natures head and it never developed smells.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 03:56   #110
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratel View Post
We already know the OGO is a good product that works as advertised. We also now know that their customer service is excellent!

About 15 min after contacting them with my question, Kevin replied.

There has been no failures of any timers or electric motors in normal use for about a year now. Should one require spare parts they are available.

The only failure of timers have been people reversing the polarity (unknowingly/accidentally) upon installation. Even if the timer was to break, you could still use the agitator by just holding the button in.
Same experience from my side on the customer experience. I would imagine it could take a day to get a response in certain cases, just guessing - but certainly excellent in all I've experienced.

I wonder if I should just buy a spare motor and timer... I'll ponder that....

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 22:11   #111

Thankyou for a REALLY helpful thread!!!

I've been looking at the Ogo for a little while and really like what it has to offer. And this thread has only made me more positive! My boat (which is a relatively recent purchase) only has a direct discharge macerating head, so when I go for overnighters I take a portable toilet with me which is a pain! I have extended cruising in the 2 year plan, so an alternative would be good.

Unfortunately, the shelf that my current head sits on has even less depth than the Ogo footprint (by about 5cm) so I'm wondering whether it will work. (I could always fasten a support base extending beyond the shelf and screw the Ogo in to the support base - would probably look ugly but should work). The other problem is that the combined height of the Ogo and the shelf will be about 66cm above the the floor! Not sure how that will work... It would probably be easy to step onto the shelf then onto the Ogo, but we would probably be left sitting with feet dangling in the air.
alanfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 01:39   #112

I don't think letting the feet dangle is a good idea.

BioToi and CompoCloset are smaller, maybe they fit? (link somewhere in this thread). Or else rebuild/lower the base (that's what I plan to do).
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, posting