Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2018, 09:33   #16

Re: Old, brand new RO membrane-still ok?

I guess I’m married to your wife’s sister:-) My wife starts complaining around 400.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 09:49   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Old, brand new RO membrane-still ok?

I’ve done some light reading on the subject.
Most all reports are in milligrams per Liter, which it seems is the same as PPM?
Anyway US EPA and other sources recommend a level of between 30 and 60 with a max of 180.
Australia pretty much follows the same number, but says 200 is max, and then has an interesting comment, they say you can’t drink water salty enough to do harm?
https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/Article...drinking-water

Apparently some can taste very low levels of salt, and others cannot, and by a factor of close to 10 to 1, so very likely maybe one person says it’s too salty to drink, when you can’t even detect any salt at all.

However our TDS meters detect all dissolved minerals I believe, not just salt? So a reading of say 150, how much of that is salt?

Marina I am in in Jacksonville with the water filtered first through a 1micron carbon block filter before the tank and then through a Seagull filter, measures 215, which is higher than my Watermaker usually outputs, it makes very clean water in cooler water,less so in warmer.
I know filtering doesn’t remove anything dissolved, but maybe non dissolved solids could interfere with a TDS reading?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote