Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 18:06   #31

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Re: Older Lectrasan - How Much Extra-Added Salt Is Needed ?

its only connected by way of the sink drain so should be fine. water stays in the faucet and goes into sink basin and are unlikely to mix back together.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 18:57   #32
Marine Service Provider

Actually, it's a no no to connect toilets designed to use raw water (sea, lake, river water) to the fresh water system on ALL boats, not just larger inspected vessels...and every toilet mfr specifically warns against doing so in their installation instructions. However, it IS safe, and permissible too, to connect toilets designed to use pressurized flush water to the fresh water system...the VacuFlush was the first toilet designed to do so, in the late '70s. Every toilet mfr began introducing at least one fresh water toilet model in the early '90s...now they all have several.

But that's not what he's trying to do....he IS trying do exactly what you suggest: adding a brine tank. But a larger one of his own design than the 2 gallon models from Raritan.

Nor does connecting a toilet intake line to a sink DRAIN line risk any contamination of the fresh water system...in fact, there are builders who plumb the head sink and head intake to share the same thru-hull because it eliminates one hole in the boat and also saves 'em the cost of a thru-hull and seacock.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 19:18   #33
Marine Service Provider

My boat the sink drains overboard slightly above the waterline. Could I abandon that drain and simply tee into the head supply line to drain the sink?

Sure...all that matters is that they share the same thru-hull. However, it MAY be necessary to replumb it to send the sink drain directly to the thru-hull and tee the head intake into it instead of teeing the sink drain into the head intake line.

If it is connected like that, when you flush the head, would it pull air in through the sink drain, so do you have to close the stopper when flushing?

That can happen no matter which thru-hull you use, or which one is teed into which. The simple solution is just a stopper in the sink...which may need to remain there at all times except when the toilet is actually in use, if leaving the thru-hull open while underway can turn the sink into a fountain.

On the outside of the boat there is a bronzed screen over the thru hull, so if anything went down the sink, it will likely stay in the area and then when the toilet flushes be pulled into the pump. I could I suppose put a strainer in the line.

Yep...put in the head intake line, not the sink drain line, and put it above the waterline for easy access to inspect and clean it as needed.
I kind of like this idea, but wonder if it will draw air.

It can...not a big deal.You do need to remove the screen.

See someone will come along use the head and forget to stopper the sink. And then the thing wont flush and it will be embarrassing or need a lot of explaining.

So...put a sign in the head "Put the stopper in the sink to flush the toilet." That's a LOT classier IMO than "Nothing goes into the head that you haven't eaten first!" (Btw...you're over-thinking this again. <g>)

Would be nice to have electric valves that open and shut when the head flushes to be totally automatic.

Actually they do...for toilets that use onboard pressurized fresh water. But if you went that route you'd have to replace your antique LectraSan with a PuraSan...which would cost a lot and make all your work to invent a brine tank on steroids totally unnecessary.

Btw...have you read the instructions for making brine to the right "strength" for the LS? I don't think they're in the LS manual...I think you have to download the salt tank manual to find 'em. If you can't, I'll find 'em for you.
Old 13-08-2011, 03:18   #34

On brine strength not yet up to knowledge on that.

I was imagining a saturated solution where the water holds as much salt as it can.
So what is a good way to do that. I was going to dump the salt in a bucket and add some water. Stir, let sit and use the liquid.
I would really like to just put the salt in my tank with the water but might clog the thing. Be nice to have a large plastic filter on the hose inside my cooler tank.
Old 13-08-2011, 08:37   #35
Marine Service Provider

You'll find the ratio of salt to water for the brine (most people make it up in a 5 gal bucket and store it in 1 gal milk jugs to have on hand) on page 2 of the 2 gal salt tank manual here:

http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/...k2galv0902.pdf

But I want you to talk to Vic Willlman at Raritan about whether you can adapt the 4 gallon salt tank that uses rock salt, but needs pressurized water, for use with your one-off "custom" salt tank and a sea water toilet...'cuz loading it with 20 lbs of solar salt once or twice a year certainly beats the sox off making brine and replacing it every couple of weeks. Vic's a good guy...if you can do it, he'll know how and tell you...he won't insist that you have to buy theirs. Give him a call on Monday: 800-352-5630 x 6. The instructions for that one are here:

http://www.raritaneng.com/pdf_files/...k4galv0502.pdf

Plan B MIGHT be to replace your Jabsco with a Raritan SeaEra pressurized version that can definitely use the 4 gal tank. You can do that for a VERY reasonable price if you go with the "conversion" (everything south of the bowl). The SeaEra was purposely designed to be a drop in "plug and play" upgrade/replacement for the Jabsco 370xxx series...even the mounting bolt patterns are a match. check that out too:
Raritan Sea Era

Raritan Engineering | Sea Era Conversion Kit
Old 13-08-2011, 09:15   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you decide to follow Peggy's suggestion to get the Sea Era conversion, I would appreciate the chance to quote you on it. We are a Raritan distributor.

Peggy, what the heck is Solar Salt? Is that the same thing as sea salt?
All the salt I buy has a picture of a little girl with an umbrella on the box.

Since you're making all this nice brine, why don't you throw in a few cucumbers and make pickles? Add some dill, maybe a little garlic. The toilet would smell great!
Old 13-08-2011, 09:39   #37
Marine Service Provider

Solar salt is "road salt"...also used in water softeners. You buy it at the hardware store (Sams has it too) in 5-100 lb bags. A 50 lb bag is under $10.

All the salt I buy has a picture of a little girl with an umbrella on the box.

They make solar salt too.

It is made from sea salt, but that's not the reason it's recommended for use in LS salt tanks. Not only is it a LOT cheaper than table salt, but it also dissolves faster and more completely. Google 'solar salt' to learn all about it.
Old 13-08-2011, 10:02   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Peggy, what the heck is Road Salt? Remember I live in Miami. I'll send you some of my Lectra San pickles when they are ready!
Old 13-08-2011, 10:24   #39
Marine Service Provider

Peggy, what the heck is Road Salt? Remember I live in Miami.

...Where there are only two seasons--hot 'n' sticky, and hotter 'n' stickier.

Solar salt has been used for decades by highway departments to melt snow and ice on roads...hence the term "road salt." However, because salt is so corrosive, damaging to vehicles and also considered less than enviro-friendly (what isn't any more?), friendlier non-salt chemicals that melt ice are mostly used these days. They don't work as well and cost more...no surprise there.

I'll send you some of my Lectra San pickles when they are ready!

Can't wait to try 'em!
Old 13-08-2011, 14:41   #40

my parents have a water softener and a 50 lb bag of salt.
It is not NACL, it is KCL. they dont use it anymore.
can you use kcl or does it have to be NACL?
Old 13-08-2011, 20:29   #41
Marine Service Provider

I don't know...That's a good question for Vic . The LS creates hypochlorous acid (HCIO) by charging the ions in salt water with electrical current. Because chlorine is already present in KCL, and because chlorine damages the electrodes, I suspect that you can only use NACL...but that's only a guess. Vic will know.
Old 15-08-2011, 18:33   #42

ok got some answers

Quote:
i got it all working used a well water pvc check valve.
a few more questions,
Can i use KCL instead of NACL? << I don’t think so, and can’t recommend it; different chemical makeup. We’ve never tested anything other than sodium chloride (table salt) and calcium chloride (rock salt). When passing electrical current through some other compound, it could have undesirable results. It could possibly ruin the electrode pack inside the unit, which is the single most expensive part to replace. (#32-5000, $360.00, plus shipping) >>
Can you use a KCL and NACL salt mix, some salt bags contain both.<< Stick with the factory recommendations, you’ll be better off that way. >>
How about using a dye in the brine tank as a visible indication that brine is flowing into the head?

<< If you use food coloring from the grocery store, it shouldn’t be a problem. >>
Old 26-08-2011, 06:42   #43

some updated shots of the brine tank I made from a 10 qt igloo cooler.
I made a filter out of a small plastic container, drilled hole in bottom just big enough to tightly fit on protruding hose end.
then cut some squares out of a nylon scrunge pad to use as a filer to prevent solar slat crystals from getting into the line.
Drill small holes in blue cover top

Dump water in cooler dump in salt stir it and use it just like that.
Works good, lectrsan getting the right amount of salt.
And I just have to add water and salt.
salt ratio is 2 gallons water and 5 lbs salt. For me then add 4 gallons water and 1/4 bag of solar salt. (they call it solar salt since it comes from the ocean) I stirred it up by hand and the salt dissolved in 30 minutes.

the cooler sits behind the fold out sofa bed. It needs to be secured to keep it from moving and the top might leak a little if the boat is heaving around. A foam seal could be added??

Old 26-08-2011, 07:29   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Very nice! Now add some garlic, dill and cucumbers to the brine and you can can make pickles at the same time!
Old 14-10-2011, 07:29   #45

I wanted to update this. I had to change the valve to an electric gravity fed valve. The one I was using, the internal spring was too weak and all the brine leaked out of the tank and went out the threw hull fitting. I think some salt crystals formed on the valve face and kept it open

I got this one on Ebay and it is working out fine for almost 2 months now.
It is all plastic except for a SS spring.

item number was 300577636884 and it was $16, so still cheap, the other valve was $10 and I took it back.

It needs to be gravity feed 12 volt, opens with no pressure assist in the line.
item title is
Quote:
1/2" Gravity Feed Electric Solenoid Valve DDT-CD-12VDC
Impossible to find gravity-feed (dispensing type) valve
it is wired into the pump circuit, so when the head electric motor pumps, this valve opens.

Also I used koolaid packs to color the water and you can see this going into the bowl. A nice visual indicator that your salt feed is working.

Tags
asa