Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2014, 09:05   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Opinions on a lesser-known watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
The Power-survivor 160 is a good machine but it doesn't make sense when you can get a complete Spectra VT150 for basically the same amount of money and make the same amount of water at half the amps used, 18 amps for the Power-survivor compared to 9 amps for the Spectra is a huge difference. Spectras membranes and filters can be found practically anywhere in the world, have a world wide distributorship and dealer network. The PS membrane is proprietary, Spectra's are not. Spectra's Clark pump has a lifetime warranty PS does not. Again the PS is a good machine but it really doesn't make much sense.

Thank you for the comments. As stated, I do not wish, whatever the qualities of a proprietary solution, to go down that road or to have to carry or obtain expensive, single-sourced spares. Our focus is on a robust, no frills system with a moderate output, although I am becoming persuaded that a 20 gallon/hour AC-powered system may be more efficient than a lower-flow DC-powered system in that I could get a week's worth of drinking water during a two-hour motor (I have a pilot house and can use rainwater from a separate tank for washing and cleaning).

I agree that a nine-amp system has the edge, as this falls within the desirable range of both the Hondas and the inverter I already possess, meaning I don't have to rig an engine-driven setup with a dedicated or partially dedicated alternator.

Thanks to the CF Brains Trust for some illuminating information and great advice.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 20:53   #17

Boat: BAYLINER 4788
Re: Opinions on a lesser-known watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
The Power-survivor 160 is a good machine but it doesn't make sense when you can get a complete Spectra VT150 for basically the same amount of money and make the same amount of water at half the amps used, 18 amps for the Power-survivor compared to 9 amps for the Spectra is a huge difference. Spectras membranes and filters can be found practically anywhere in the world, have a world wide distributorship and dealer network. The PS membrane is proprietary, Spectra's are not. Spectra's Clark pump has a lifetime warranty PS does not. Again the PS is a good machine but it really doesn't make much sense.
That is pretty darn efficient!
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker