Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 17:32   #31

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: Overboard holding tank discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog View Post
Greetings,
I am planning some far offshore distance runs and want to set up for overboard discharge of my holding tank. It does not have a through hull discharge, so must use a macerator pump attached to deck outlet. It appears most macerator pumps have a 5' self prime lift limitation and my tank to deck outlet is a bit higher than that.

Can anyone recommend a pump that's relatively inexpensive with a slightly higher lift capacity or suggest a system that will work?

thanks
May I suggest a couple of considerations.
1. pumping out of a tank (rather than more aggressive vacuum station discharge), is going to leave residue in the bottom, which over time will tend to build up. If staying with that method of emptying, then regular flushing with clean water is suggested.
2. gravity discharge (from bottom of tank, straight out) is very rapid, and due to the rush of fluid, very powerful in extracting everything.
Understand however if you are reluctant to have more below-water through-hulls, so in that case, just a 'Y' diverter so that the toilet waste does not reach the tank at all when you are at sea. Just ensure you do an extra flush to keep the hull clean.

Hope that helps,

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 17:57   #32

Boat: CT-41

HopCar,
I saw your suggestion on the Edson just before your comment that it is a bad idea. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't care what you think about the idea for which you don't know the reason or how my boat is set up, but hay man, thanks for your concern for someone you assume doesn't know what he is doing.

rwidman,
In this case the OP knows exactly what he is doing and spent several hours doing online research before posting as well as searching this forum. I found most macerator pumps either do not specify a self priming limit or it is five feet. I posted the question to see if there is someone who has first hand knowledge of pump capacity instead of manufacturer specifications, which are often under rated for insurance and warranty reasons. As for pooping in a bucket and throwing it overboard, that is the exact system we used in the 70s when I was commercial fishing. As for porta-potty done that too and neither of those systems have anything at all to do with the question.
Thanks for telling me to get off the forum. You are a real sweet guy.

Now that you are all convinced that I am an unintelligent ass hole who doesn't know what I'm doing, for those whose curiosity still rages, this is the situation; My LectraSan works just fine and so does the holding tank, but the holding tank (not the boat, but the holding tank) does not have it's own thru-hull. It can only be emptied through the deck fitting. The Y-valve broke set to the holding tank while in a US port. Now I am in a marina in Mexico where there is no pump out station. I am set to head out in a couple weeks with a holding tank 2/3 full and no way to empty it nor can I switch the Y-valve back to the LectraSan with it's thru-hull. No frigging way am I going to break open the system and dump 40 gallons of fermented feces into the bilge to install any other equipment, another thru-hull, or even replace the Y-valve. Maybe some of you would like to do that? So my solution is a simple macerator pump to empty the holding tank while at sea, fill it again with sea water, empty again, repeat a few times, then next port, break open the system and fix the Y-valve.

Now is that such a stupid idea?
Did I need to post all of that just to ask a simple question about self-priming lift limitations?
Apparently so, as it appears many of you can't answer a simple question without boasting your superior knowledge to someone you ASSUME doesn't know what he is doing.

Thank the few of you who offered suggestions related to the question.
Now, I will leave the forum. Don't really like the company.
Vino the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 18:35   #33

Boat: Catalina 320

Take something like this adapter, stick the suction hose in the deck pump out, and attach it to a macerator as on the second page.
Sewer Hose Rinse Cap - Camco 39533 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World
FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit - Xylem 18555000A - Drain & Flush Systems - Camping World
http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/file...373E_08-07.pdf
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 19:27   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Vino if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't have had to ask such a stupid question.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:48   #35

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
(c) When operating a vessel on a body of water where the discharge of untreated sewage is prohibited by the Environmental Protection Agency under 40 CFR 140.3, the operator must secure each Type III device in a manner which prevents discharge of sewage. Acceptable methods of securing the device include -
(1) Closing each valve leading to an overboard discharge and removing the handle;
(2) Padlocking each valve leading to an overboard discharge in the closed position; or
(3) Using a non-releasable wire-tie to hold each valve leading to an overboard discharge in the closed position.
In typical government language, it says "include". It doesn't preclude other methods.

Since I have no valves, none of these methods will work for me. As I posted, I disable the macerator by removing the key from the switch. This would seem as effective as removing the handle to a valve or padlocking it. I guess I'll have to take my chances with LEO.

Bottom line is, anyone who wants to discharge poop in the water will and there's no way to stop them. You can remove the padlock to pump out, you can cut the wire tie to pump out and you can reinstall the handle to pump out.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:58   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog View Post
.............. rwidman,
In this case the OP knows exactly what he is doing and spent several hours doing online research before posting as well as searching this forum. I found most macerator pumps either do not specify a self priming limit or it is five feet. I posted the question to see if there is someone who has first hand knowledge of pump capacity instead of manufacturer specifications, which are often under rated for insurance and warranty reasons. As for pooping in a bucket and throwing it overboard, that is the exact system we used in the 70s when I was commercial fishing. As for porta-potty done that too and neither of those systems have anything at all to do with the question.
Thanks for telling me to get off the forum. You are a real sweet guy.
.............. .
Dude, You might be the smartest guy in the world (next to me), but you didn't do a very good job explaining this to folks on the form. You asked a question that indicated to normal people that you did not really know what you were doing and hadn't done any prior research. A "beginner" question.

If you are going to post on forums, you have to learn how to post effectively and explain the things you know that others don't. We don't know you and we can't read your mind.

If you choose to leave the forum, that's fine. If you choose to stay, put on your "big girl panties" next time.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:18   #37

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Jamhass, how high does your pump have to suck the stuff to get it to the deck fitting? I was going to recommend a Whale 10 but when I checked the specs, it said they only had a suction lift of one meter. Not enough for the OP who will have to lift five feet or more.
5 to 6 feet. Pump is a Whale Urchin. Works fine, even after 6 years.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:23   #38

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Vino if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't have had to ask such a stupid question.
Kinda sums it up! If he had spelled it out in the beginning, as he did at the end, it wouldn't have been a stupid question.

Not picking sides or throwing stones but he could have helped everyone out, including himself, by giving all the info up front.

In his defense I will say that "skimpy info in the initial question" business seems to be the norm here.

The long time members appear to have a much better handle on how to ask the question to get the answers they are seeking. AND they don't get their panties in a wad when someone points out the obvious!
Old 08-01-2017, 07:26   #39

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Dude, You might be the smartest guy in the world (next to me), but you didn't do a very good job explaining this to folks on the form. You asked a question that indicated to normal people that you did not really know what you were doing and hadn't done any prior research. A "beginner" question.

If you are going to post on forums, you have to learn how to post effectively and explain the things you know that others don't. We don't know you and we can't read your mind.

If you choose to leave the forum, that's fine. If you choose to stay, put on your "big girl panties" next time.
Perfect reply! You can't be overly sensitive if you are going to post here.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:10   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I agree the locking switch is at least, probably more logical a lock out than a plastic zip tie is.
Just I work with Gumnint types, FAA, and in their eyes, regulation clearly says valves, not switches and I'd get a fine. However the rest of that regulation that was not posted allowed the compartment to be locked as well, but it still says valves must be closed.
No valve? I bet Barney Fife still gives you a ticket, but as I said I have never, ever been checked and don't know anyone that has, but then I have spent very little time is South Fl, where I have to assume is where most of the checking is going on.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:45   #41

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That is what I have done and I'm struggling with what is acceptable to the Poo police on disabling or locking the valves?
Original valve installed by the builder is just a seacock, no real way to lock it, and I have never, ever heard of anyone looking in my neck of the woods, but I will be traveling and is S Fl I guess they check this kind of thing.
Newly installed valve for the macerator is nothing more than a 1" ball valve that you cannot remove the handle.
Is drilling. Whole in the handle and ziptieing it closed acceptable?

See I don't understand the rev, even if I had it padlocked,what does that accomplish? I can unlock it at any time I wanted,and lock it as I saw them coming.
As I understand it the zip tie or removing the handle both compliant. Kind of ridiculous if you think about it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 13:53   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A64, they just want dumping overboard to be a deliberate act. They want you to think about what you're doing. There is really no way they can catch you if you decide to dump illegally. The key switch to activate the pump meets all the requirements. I learned that trick from Peggie Hall.
Old 08-01-2017, 14:06   #43
Marine Service Provider

Ok guys...here's the actual law, the whole thing. Note that there are two sections--the first one applies to treatment devices, the second one to holding tanks:

33 CFR 159.7

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 14:56   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
5 to 6 feet. Pump is a Whale Urchin. Works fine, even after 6 years.
That's what I thought. Thanks Jamhass.
Old 08-01-2017, 15:15   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Ok guys...here's the actual law, the whole thing. Note that there are two sections--the first one applies to treatment devices, the second one to holding tanks:

33 CFR 159.7

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Bo...dp/1892399784/
Yes, but the wording is "Acceptable methods of securing the device include - "

It does not say "The only acceptable methods are -"

Tags
holding tank, overboard