Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2021, 21:16   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Parking Heater Exhaust Condensation / Water Trap

so, for the dim witted amongst us, wots a "parking heater"?

Appears to be a common cabin heater...

Jim
Old 07-02-2021, 21:23   #17

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
so, for the dim witted amongst us, wots a "parking heater"?

Appears to be a common cabin heater...

Jim
That's exactly what it is Jim ... heaters that are designed for use in cars and trucks when they are parked (ie engine not running) ... if they were being marketed more directly at boaters maybe they'd be called "anchoring heaters".
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 21:27   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
That's exactly what it is Jim ... heaters that are designed for use in cars and trucks when they are parked (ie engine not running) ... if they were being marketed more directly at boaters maybe they'd be called "anchoring heaters".
Understood, and thanks... parking, huh? I thought that one of the benefits of these heaters over the old fashioned pot burners like we have is that they could be used under way.

Learn sumpin new every day!

Jim
Old 07-02-2021, 21:50   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Understood, and thanks... parking, huh? I thought that one of the benefits of these heaters over the old fashioned pot burners like we have is that they could be used under way.

Learn sumpin new every day!

Jim
I believe they can be used underway ... but cars and powerboats take heat from their engines underway ... so only need them when "parked".
Old 08-02-2021, 09:28   #20

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

These are my go to guys for this stuff. They have never let me down, ship fast and are extremely knowledgeable. Where I bought my parts to install my chinese heater.

https://www.suremarineservice.com/
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
These are my go to guys for this stuff. They have never let me down, ship fast and are extremely knowledgeable. Where I bought my parts to install my chinese heater.

https://www.suremarineservice.com/
Good to hear their service is good. As I said in the OP I've contacted them to see if they can provide what I need. I've gotten a response, but I'm pretty sure they don't understand that I'm trying to order "off menu". I've responded and we'll see if they can replicate the Planar part.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:56   #22

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Jim, as I understand it they were invented so truckers would not have to run their engines all night when sleeping in cold places. I was a bit slow in moving from the Chesapeake down south this year and got tired of temps in the 30's (F) at night and 40's in the day. Got one of the chinese knockoffs of the Espar for $120 on EBay. Loving it.

We use it when stopped but it is really nice underway. Have a Lagoon cat and run mostly from inside the salon with pilothouse type visibility. Was really nice with temps in low 40's and 30 kts +. Also very thankful that the autopilot did not pick that night as its time to fail (it waited two days).

Temp install and ducting system a bit funky but it worked. Now it is all going into a box since we're south of Cape Canaveral (FL).
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 12:15   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
Pete,
The trap is interesting and works similar to the p-trap in a toilet, or a sink. The curly bit is filled with water during install (for an initial charge).
Thank you, good explanation. However I note that Webasto don't supply the trap as part of the marine kit in the UK. Thankfully they don't include those box silencers either. My exhaust hose is stainless steel.

My exhaust doesn't exit at the lowest point, indeed there is a swan neck to include to ensure sea water doesn't enter the exhaust hose.

Wondering if I had missed something not having a trap, I went back to the marine instructions. They state:

Fit a condensed-water drain (non-rusting) if the exhaust pipe is longer than 2 m.

There is also something else that states:

Use suitable insulation material to avoid the dew point dropping below the minimum value

Link to the manual:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...?do=file&id=81
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ST2000 Marine Exhaust Installation.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	232135  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 13:57   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post

Please post the final installation of your heater when you're done ... I'm still trying to work out how I can fit a heater on my boat.
I know the Hullmaster. I would install it in the port cockpit locker. Exhaust about 6-8" down from the deck through the transom going initially uphill then down to the heater. Run the ducting through the galley to the settee front for outlets and farther for one in the head.

If the exhaust is less than 6' you shouldn't need a drip loop.

Brian
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 15:02   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I know the Hullmaster. I would install it in the port cockpit locker. Exhaust about 6-8" down from the deck through the transom going initially uphill then down to the heater. Run the ducting through the galley to the settee front for outlets and farther for one in the head.

If the exhaust is less than 6' you shouldn't need a drip loop.

Brian
That's roughly how my plan is shaping up ... but there's a lot of stuff that needs avoiding, on the way ... It's going to have to rob space from something, and block maintenance access to something else. The boat is pretty crowded.

I've only just started thinking about one of these heaters since my boat came with an uninstalled bulkhead heater, and until recently I was trying (unsuccessfully) to think of a way to install that.
Old 09-02-2021, 16:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Thank you, good explanation. However I note that Webasto don't supply the trap as part of the marine kit in the UK. Thankfully they don't include those box silencers either. My exhaust hose is stainless steel.

My exhaust doesn't exit at the lowest point, indeed there is a swan neck to include to ensure sea water doesn't enter the exhaust hose.

Wondering if I had missed something not having a trap, I went back to the marine instructions. They state:

Fit a condensed-water drain (non-rusting) if the exhaust pipe is longer than 2 m.

There is also something else that states:

Use suitable insulation material to avoid the dew point dropping below the minimum value

Link to the manual:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...?do=file&id=81
Pete,
Thank you for the manual download, I'll have to look it over! I think I can use this as a good substitute manual for my unit, as that manual is gabage.

What you quote makes sense, but has some caveats. It is obvious that the intent with the short run and insulation as desribed is to keep the exhaust hot and moving so H20 generated is moved out of the exhaust in a gaseous state, but eventually you need to shut off the heater. The exhaust will cool, and below the dew point. There is also going to be water getting into it from the outside to some degree. Likely not from rain, but just humid outside air eventually compensating inside the pipe. I always find it impressive how much water you can see blown out of a car exhaust on initial startup, and auto manufacturers do try to put drains in the exhaust to mitigate this...

My installation will be nearing 2m and with a marine muffler, so I know that I will feel much more comfortable attempting to vacate the weak carbonic/sulfuric acid in the exhaust. Especially since it will be wrapped essentially making inspection impossible. I have 3 CO detectors onboard, but assuming it did fail and the CO detector did warn me of it, that still leaves me without a heater when I obviously wanted it on.

- AT
Old 09-02-2021, 16:56   #27

I have received a reply from Steve at https://www.suremarineservice.com/

They do make a gentle sweeping 90* condensate trap P/N W005-130-24, price is $117.62, and is not listed on their site for whatever reason. Steve says it's currently in stock.

This is quite expensive, but as stated, the $86 Planar trap costs $100 to ship from Canada.

If you are looking for a buy-it-online experience, it looks like Sure Marine and Planar are the only routes. But at $120 and $186, I think there is still some room to have it made locally for a little less if you are willing to source parts and find the labor.

It really makes me wish "past me" had just splurged and bought a TIG one of the many times I had looked into buying one. I could convert my MIG, but the cost of gas and an SS spool isn't appetizing.

- AT
Old 24-08-2021, 17:18   #28

Boat: Contrast 33

I bought this one off of ebay for $40 US plus $12 shipping. It took about a month to ship though as it came from China.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/32472795305...0AAOSwBLlVPK8S
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2022, 13:16   #29

Boat: Beneteau 393

Late to the game! I'm designing a system around an Esbar S3 5KW
https://www.nwmarineair.com/exhaust-elbow-w-drain/
For anyone looking.
Bob S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
condensation, exhaust, heater, water