Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2021, 10:10   #1

Parking Heater Exhaust Condensation / Water Trap

I am in the process of buying the supporting pieces to install my Chinese diesel parking heater in my boat.

The real troublesome part I have run into is the 90* condensation trap. Example;

https://planarheaters.com/product/p24-009/

While $86 USD is probably 100%+ profit, whatever I want it. But HAHA! Shipping is $100 USD also. Insert pukey face.

Does anyone know any USA dealers that sell this unobtanium exhaust part?

There are less enticing ones available on eBay that have a sharp 90* weld that are a little cheaper but I'm sure the exhaust flow sucks. As a backup I will end up using a straight trap and adjust my run so that I can use it.

https://www.suremarineservice.com/He.../W005-103.html

Since it looks like this company either makes them themselves, or has contracted with someone local to make them I've asked if they can provide a 90* flavor.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:24   #2

Re: Parking Heater Exhaust Condensation / Water Trap

A similar product is available from Wallas but is designed for hose in, hose out, not to be directly clamped to the heater. It is designed for 28mm exhaust (most Chinese heaters are 24mm). This size isn't listed on the Scan Marine page but can be found on the Wallas page.

https://scanmarineusa.com/online-sto...93-drain-loop/

-AT
Old 07-02-2021, 11:50   #3

Boat: Tartan 37

I got one off of Ebay for around $30.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABJ87 View Post
I got one off of Ebay for around $30.
Can you point me to a seller or listing?

- AT
Old 07-02-2021, 12:34   #5

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I do a lot of TIG stuff and looking at this part, it’s a bargain. The materials, the argon, welding rods, time and labor ? $200 is what it adds up to.
I have two Espar hydronic with 1&1/2 exhaust, no condensate traps. My air top Webasto came with one but I’m not sure if they are needed .
I found diesel exhaust will eat tiny holes in 6000 series aluminum, but my flex exhaust on the Espars looks ok.
Happy trails to you.
Mark and his “we love EBay” manatee crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 13:06   #6

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

If the exhaust is running downhill from the heater you may not need the condensation loop. The exhaust will need to be well wrapped either way, in operation it will heat while blowing exhaust so any condensate likely will be pushed out.
Although I installed a chinese diesel heater I spent a bit extra on Espar exhaust tube and a good stainless exhaust fitting for some peace of mind.
It is a good idea to invest in a carbon monoxide detector to monitor that exhaust with or without a condensate loop.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 13:16   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
My air top Webasto came with one but I’m not sure if they are needed .
Interesting, my Webasto AT2000 didn't come with one but I am also not sure if they are needed. Certainly two less joints in an exhaust hose is to be welcomed, never mind the open end of the vent pipe. Where does that drain to on a yacht?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 13:21   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Ebay a 90 sweep exhaust, a stainless compression nipple and a local (good) welder and you should be done for around $60
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 13:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
I do a lot of TIG stuff and looking at this part, it’s a bargain. The materials, the argon, welding rods, time and labor ? $200 is what it adds up to.
I have two Espar hydronic with 1&1/2 exhaust, no condensate traps. My air top Webasto came with one but I’m not sure if they are needed .
I found diesel exhaust will eat tiny holes in 6000 series aluminum, but my flex exhaust on the Espars looks ok.
Happy trails to you.
Mark and his “we love EBay” manatee crew
$200? Maybe if a master welder such as yourself were to make... one.
But I'm sure Planar practices economy of scale and makes many many many of these at a time. Maybe not 50,000 at a time, but it must be at least 50 or 100.

Addressing the question of the post, since you haven't used your condensate traps would you be willing to sell one to a fellow sailor?

And to interject my own opinion, I suggest that you immediately install your traps and not sell them to me. And that isn't reverse psychology.

But if you don't want to install you're traps, if you have one I'll buy it.

- AT
Old 07-02-2021, 13:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazenarticle View Post
If the exhaust is running downhill from the heater you may not need the condensation loop. The exhaust will need to be well wrapped either way, in operation it will heat while blowing exhaust so any condensate likely will be pushed out.
Although I installed a chinese diesel heater I spent a bit extra on Espar exhaust tube and a good stainless exhaust fitting for some peace of mind.
It is a good idea to invest in a carbon monoxide detector to monitor that exhaust with or without a condensate loop.
I think most small boats will be unable to find a way to route their exhaust so the low point is also the exit. That includes mine.

Exhaust wrap has it's cons and is not needed/necessary. I intend to wrap my exhaust as I feel it will be required for my routing, but to flatly state it is required is misleading to a novice who might stumble upon this thread in the future. There are other mitigation practices available.

A way to drain condensate out of the exhaust though is such a highly advantageous feature to the safety and longevity of the system I would call it nearly mandatory, though.

Back to the question at hand; you don't happen to know of a place in the USA I can find a 90* trap?

- AT
Old 07-02-2021, 13:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Ebay a 90 sweep exhaust, a stainless compression nipple and a local (good) welder and you should be done for around $60
Parts + Welder + Aggravation > Cost from Planar

Plus, if someone can find a USA source for a reasonably priced part we don't just fix my problem but the problem of the many many people who seem to be ready to install one of these in their boat.

- AT
Old 07-02-2021, 13:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Interesting, my Webasto AT2000 didn't come with one but I am also not sure if they are needed. Certainly two less joints in an exhaust hose is to be welcomed, never mind the open end of the vent pipe. Where does that drain to on a yacht?

Pete
Pete,
The trap is interesting and works similar to the p-trap in a toilet, or a sink. The curly bit is filled with water during install (for an initial charge). The pressure in the exhaust is not high enough to expel the water through the tube. As condensation is trapped, the water adds to the initial charge and excess drips out the bottom of the tube. The discharge can be collected however the owner wants (in a cup, in the bilge, whatever). I would probably put a small chemical resistant cup under it to catch drips and allow them to evaporate. So the trap stops exhaust gas from escaping the exhaust system into the boat interior, but allows condensate to escape.

Also, a 90* trap attached directly to the heater introduces only 1 extra connection. The exhaust pipe needs to connect to the heater or the elbow in either installation. If I have to resort to the inline trap, then that will add 2 extra connections.

If your installation doesn't have the lowest point of the exhaust as the exit, a trap is advisable. It gives the caustic condensate a place to escape.

- AT
Old 07-02-2021, 14:19   #13

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
Parts + Welder + Aggravation > Cost from Planar

Plus, if someone can find a USA source for a reasonably priced part we don't just fix my problem but the problem of the many many people who seem to be ready to install one of these in their boat.

- AT
Prices for these parts seem to have gone up this year. I paid $30 for my elbow, $6 for the compression nipple and a local welder tigged it on for $20. Easy enough to do but that elbow seems to be double what it was last year!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 14:24   #14

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post

- AT
Have you tried asking your local Espar dealer?
https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/prod.../dealer-search

These look like the parts you want ... this is an EU source, but gives you the part numbers to ask for ...
https://www.heatso.com/espar-eberspa...-adapter-24mm/
https://www.heatso.com/espar-eberspa...-24mm-adapter/

Please post the final installation of your heater when you're done ... I'm still trying to work out how I can fit a heater on my boat.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 20:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Have you tried asking your local Espar dealer?
https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/prod.../dealer-search

These look like the parts you want ... this is an EU source, but gives you the part numbers to ask for ...
https://www.heatso.com/espar-eberspa...-adapter-24mm/
https://www.heatso.com/espar-eberspa...-24mm-adapter/

Please post the final installation of your heater when you're done ... I'm still trying to work out how I can fit a heater on my boat.
"Kind of". I looked through that distributor list for a bit, getting very frustrated that there is no way to filter it and that it doesn't list the states! I looked at a couple of the supplier websites and it looks like they're all the kind of place you call and order a part. Then I decided to check and see if eberspaecher even has the part I want (before war dialing suppliers), and they don't. The link you provided (and thank you for the help!) Is similar to the harsh 90° turns available on eBay that I want to avoid.

I'll try to make a write up on the boat about how this heater finally goes in the boat.

- AT

Tags
condensation, exhaust, heater, water