Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 06:59   #16

Boat: Riva 48
Re: Pickling a Watermaker

Another angle to consider is the cost+effort in pickling vs just getting a new membrane. I have never pickled my Power Survivor 35, it came with a membrane that was 12 years old, I run it about once a month then fresh water flush with product water. It still works great. I will just get a new membrane before I go cruising full time. The other one is a DIY watermarker with a standard membrane and it gets even more abused (i.e. many months on just product water flush). Do not be a slave to your $200 membrane, there are more interesting things to worry about.

Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:17   #17

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Another angle to consider is the cost+effort in pickling vs just getting a new membrane. I have never pickled my Power Survivor 35, it came with a membrane that was 12 years old, I run it about once a month then fresh water flush with product water. It still works great. I will just get a new membrane before I go cruising full time. The other one is a DIY watermarker with a standard membrane and it gets even more abused (i.e. many months on just product water flush). Do not be a slave to your $200 membrane, there are more interesting things to worry about.

Pizzazz

Pizzazz brings up a very good point. We have two membranes in our system so we’re not quite so casual about replacing them but we realize that it’s not a lifestyle-changing event if they have to be replaced.

For a similar reason, we choose not to clean our 5-micron filters but simply replace them. We have over $7,000 invested in our water maker and it seems like a reasonable expense to just replace the filter as needed. After all, I have a similar amount invested in our genset and would never consider trying to clean and reuse an oil filter.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:20   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
After all, I have a similar amount invested in our genset and would never consider trying to clean and reuse an oil filter.
Bingo...BINGO....Bingo....
Sometimes you have to know when you are being "Cruiser Cheap" or just Penny Wise...Pound Foolish!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker