Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 06:55   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Plumbing a Bilge Pump

I removed an air conditioner. It had an overboard discharge for the seawater. That discharge will be under water when heeled on that side. I am adding an additional bilge pump (3rd) and using that outlet. I can place the bilge pump above the heeled water line. Will that be sufficient?

I could place the bilge pump in a more convienient place and then put a syphon loop above the bilge pump. I could also add a loop above the overboard discharge but that loop will still be below waterline when heeled severely.

I'm thinking of putting the bilge pump in the easy access location, add a syphon loop after the bilge pump above the heeled water line, AND add a small loop just before the discharge.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
... I'm thinking of putting the bilge pump in the easy access location, add a syphon loop after the bilge pump above the heeled water line, AND add a small loop just before the discharge.
Sounds good, to me.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:47   #3

Boat: Irwin 40
All those loops create head pressure and reduce the pump efficiency. Would it not be easier and better to cap that thru hull and run the pump hose out the transom to avoid the healed water line issue? Just a thought but sounds like you are going to a lot of trouble to use up a thru hull. It is not as hard to glass over a removed thru hull than most people think and if it is in a painted boot strip it just got easier.

Fair Winds
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 13:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Wayne also makes a good point.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 14:31   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Trading off length and ease of access and head pressure all come to a point where the best location is. Length adds resistance and ways you can fail. Water sitting in a long hose tends to grow nasty things. Simplicity and ease of access seem paramount goals. Gord and Wayne have added enough to the mix. The details of actually running the line may yield new barriers or opportunities. One way will clearly be better when you get around to doing it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 14:45   #6
Marine Service Provider

Thanks all.

If I go with the easy access pump and a syphon loop; how important is the second loop near the thru-hull? It can be 1' or 3' vertical above the thru-hull. The thru-hull is above the boot stripe by at least a foot. I do not want to remove it.
Old 05-02-2010, 15:29   #7

Boat: Irwin 40
All you need to accomplish with the loop is to keep a high point above the waterline to prevent water from back flowing into the bilge at any possible heel angle. That said if you accomplish that with one loop then no need for a second. Try to avoid loops or sags that will hold water. All the water should drain out of the hose. I try to draw an imaginary line from about a foot above the sheer to the opposite waterline (painted not real) this should give you an idea of what you want to remain about a foot above.

Fair Winds
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 15:38   #8
Marine Service Provider

The hose will have to go uphill about 1' to 2' to get to the thru hull from the lowest point after the bilge pump and the syphon loop. I was thinking the loop at the thru-hull will keep most of the water out of the boat when heeling, but not all, depending on the heel angle. The syphon loop will be the 'final solution'.

Tags
bilge, bilge pump