Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2019, 19:59   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: poly holding tank life expectancy?

If you spend a little time on the Triple M Plastics site, I think you'll see that they're definitely NOT a "mom and pop shop." And yes, they do indeed do excellent that they stand behind with a lifetime warranty.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 22:17   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don’t know Peggie, I’ve called a few times, an older lady answers and says let me go get Larry I think his name is, I took her to be his wife.
Nothing wrong with a Mom and Pop shop, I’d bet they only have a few other employees.
I did go through the site, one photo there was another person in it, all others that I saw it was just the old man.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 04:34   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don’t know Peggie, I’ve called a few times, an older lady answers and says let me go get Larry I think his name is, I took her to be his wife...
It appears you may be partially right (you don't know).
According to the BBB:
“Triple M Plastics Products, Inc. was established in 1972, and incorporated in Maine in 1988.
The company employs 8 people.
Mr. Larry McIntire is the President of the company, Ms. Katrin Kroyer is the Manager and Ms. Dawn Lafrance is the Bookkeeper.
Any questions or problems may be directed to the attention of Mr. (Larry) McIntire.”
https://www.bbb.org/us/me/west-kenne...inc-0021-17786

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 05:45   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
poly holding tank life expectancy?

Nothing wrong with a Mom and Pop shop, in fact I’ll do business with them every time over a larger company if I can, often they remember you or your job, actually know what is going on if you call, and your speaking with people who can actually make a difference etc.
Also I believe the pride in workmanship (on average) is higher with someone who has started a business and every product has his or her name on it so to speak, as opposed to a person who is paid an hourly rate in a large company.
As I said, they built my tank exactly to the specs I provided, and delivered on time, and on price, and it appears to be well made.

If and when I replace my fuel and water tanks I know where I will get the tanks.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 06:57   #20

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

I have found that the "Roebic" brand of holding tank treatment (available at RV suppliers or Home Depot) supplies the oxygen needed to get CO2 from decomposition. Not completely odorless but vastly better than anything else I've tried.

I replaced my holding tank with a 50% larger tank built from 1/4" plywood with 3 layers of epoxy/fiberglass cloth on the inside & 1 layer on the outside. Once cured I coated the inside with Interlux 2000E (same stuff as left over from the blister project). Great success -very happy.
DC
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 04:51   #21

Boat: J/42

Sadly, I think I have a case of a holding tank permeated. Boat sat on hard for 20 months with holding tank full (!!) before I purchased. Won't describe the pump out process, but glad I survived it. I pulled the old Kracor tank out of boat and treated it a variety of ways (hot water pressure wash, laundry detergent soak, etc, and after a month it still emits that "sweet" smell and doesn't pass the hot towel test. So I'm going with a Ronco and will plumb new fittings for a better plumbing design. This list is gold as is Peggy's book!
wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2019, 10:31   #22
Marine Service Provider

Sadly, I think I have a case of a holding tank permeated. Boat sat on hard for 20 months with holding tank full (!!) before I purchased. Won't describe the pump out process, but glad I survived it. I pulled the old Kracor tank out of boat and treated it a variety of ways (hot water pressure wash, laundry detergent soak, etc,

and after a month it still emits that "sweet" smell and doesn't pass the hot towel test.

Unlikely the tank has permeated. Much more likely that odor from permeated hoses has attached itself to the outside of the tank Another strong possibility: leaking fittings are allowing odor from INside the tank to perfume the air around it. This would be even more likely to be the source of your odor if you've removed the hoses but didn't plug the fittings on the tank.

This list is gold as is Peggy's book!

Btw,...re the sbo.com signed book promotion: I still have 4 books on hand that I can sign and mail. You'd order from sbo.com https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?53615/ I sign and mail the book.

--Peggie
Old 27-12-2019, 12:44   #23

Thx for the reply. All I know is I've pulled tank from the boat, removed all the fittings (plugged with new plugs), rinsed it out many times with numerous types of detergents and odor absorbents, and let it sit outside for a month. When I bring it in an enclosed area, you can still smell it straight away.
Old 27-12-2019, 15:17   #24
Marine Service Provider

Permeated tanks are VERY rare, the result of improper curing of the plastic during mfr'g. But you leave little room for doubt that you have one...only the 2nd one I've ever even heard about that was indisputable.

--Peggie
Old 28-12-2019, 05:56   #25

What's interesting is the smell is only discernible up close, or if you put the tank is an enclosed area. And the tank has "yellowed", but I assume that is an age thing (24yrs), and not a "smell stain". At this stage, a new tank allows me to improve the plumbing configuration, including using a 1" vent hose.
Old 16-02-2020, 06:35   #26

I think I figured out the smell is actually the detergent I had the tank soak in for a couple of weeks. mystery solved.

Tags
holding tank