Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 20:56   #1

Port water tank

I have a 50 gallon water tank on the port side of my boat that is plastic and is leaking. I found a pretty significant amount of freshwater in the bilge after filling it and also some water on some of hte surrounding wood.

Upon closer investigation, I found some cracks at the output fitting that are causing the leak. It looks like the crack is in the female fitting that is a part of the tank. (see attached picture).

I was planning on replacing the male fitting as well as the hose that runs to the tank. I was considering epoxying the crack, but wanted to get some advice on how to handle this one.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Port water tank

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, felizcortez.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:57   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Don't see any pics, but on the WEST System website there are directions on how to bond to plastics. Though there are also adhesives purpose designed for bonding, or fixing plastics. Just figure out what the tank's made of exactly, & finding the proper one shouldn't be tough.
Also, might there be an inspection port in the tank that would enable you to work on a repair from both inside, & outside of the tank simultaneously? And if not, you may be able to add one.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:41   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Don't see any pics, but on the WEST System website there are directions on how to bond to plastics. Though there are also adhesives purpose designed for bonding, or fixing plastics. Just figure out what the tank's made of exactly, & finding the proper one shouldn't be tough.
Also, might there be an inspection port in the tank that would enable you to work on a repair from both inside, & outside of the tank simultaneously? And if not, you may be able to add one.
With attachment this time. I'm thinking of trying to do this repair while the tank is still in the boat since it will be a pain to remove.

There are a few inspection ports, but the holes are not that large, but I think I can fit my arm inside one of them. However, if you look at the crack, it runs down the female threaded outlet port so if I apply epoxy from the inside I may not be able to thread something into it after it dries. The cracks that radiate from the base of the tank could potentially get some epoxy from both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170930_181158.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	157323  
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:59   #5

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Couldn’t see any detail in the pic, I am using my phone. You might want to look at plastic welding it, like they do kayak repairs. Inexpensive device. Harbor Freight sells them, I believe. If not, visit a good
Shop that sell plastic kayaks and ask
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:05   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

I don't think you're going to have success trying to glue the tank. Welding might work if you have a pro do it.

The most reliable repair is to replace the failed tank with a new one. They are not as expensive as you might think and you can count on this to be a permanent repair.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:23   #7

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Plastic welding isn't really technical, basically a soldering iron with a flat blade, and some sticks of a similar material. Heat up the repair to make is very soft, melt some of the stick on the repair, flow it together and you have a repair. Over simplified but basically what you do.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water