Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2021, 06:07   #1

Boat: Cal 34
Portable A/C

OK, with the heat index in the 110+ area, I think it's time for some dockside A/C on Margarita. I do not want to install built in for a few reasons, including the cost. I plan on getting a portable A/C. Not a window unit, but one that I can place on the quarter berth and vent out the cockpit via an old dockside telephone plug that I will replace with a dryer type vent. Does anyone have experience with this? My biggest concern it the humidity down here on the bayou. It's often 90 deg with 80% humidity. Most of them say no need to drain in "most' circumstances. Any help?
Bayou Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 06:29   #2
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23
Re: Portable A/C

There used to be a drop in hatch air conditioner called Cruisair. They were bought by Dometic and thus discontinued, but you be able to find a used one.

I have used one of the floor air conditioners (in my house, they are big and heavy) and it does not need to drain. It has a tank, but the tank does not seem to fill up when used as AC. It has a dehumidifier mode (unvented) that does need the tank emptied (or a drain). The vent outlet is about a 6 inch hose, not a standard dryer vent.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 06:45   #3

Boat: Tashiba 40

Having done almost exactly what you are planning, it will definitely need to drain.

The single hose design means that the air cooling the condenser coil is coming from inside the boat. This means that the air that was inside the boat is being replaced by air from outside the boat. So, when the ac runs it is fighting itself cooling some of the air and replacing some of it with the hot air from outside.

The single hose unit I had (and likely most single hose units) was equipped with a single fan motor which operated both the condenser and evaporator fans. When this fact was combined with the unit wanting to run the fan when the compressor was off, the unit was almost worthless if it ever reached its target temperature.
I was able to modify the controller pcb to convince it to only run the fan when the compressor was on but it likely opened me up to some liability if there was ever a fire.

I would highly recommend getting a two hose unit if at all possible.
Weatherbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 06:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I tried the portable a/c once....it was a window unit.....not very large....around 6,000 btu's I remember. I placed it over a hatch and made a styrofoam box and duct tape contraption to direct the air downwards.....
It worked...kinda sorta....6,000 btu's was woefully inadequate, but it did take the humidity out.
It obviously only worked while at the dock. It required it's own power cord. When I wanted to go sailing, the thing had to be strapped down.

Later, I cut thru' the aft bulkhead and put one in the lazarette, with another contraption to vent the hot air up and away. Obviously, the lazarette hatch had to remain open. If it rained, I had to shut it down.

In both cases, 6,000 btu's was adequate only for a single cabin or space on a boat.
Being broke, I had limited options, and a small window unit can be picked up for relatively little.

The a/c unit I had in the lazarette was a concern due to condensation dripping down from the unit, but it was so hot in there, this was never an issue, as any condensation simple evaporated. Though the hot air was vented out, it remained quite warm in there.
These a/c units blow out a tremendous amount of hot air.

Of the two, the on deck/over a hatch was the better system. It did look a bit unsightly, but what the hell....in a pinch........this is likely the only way to go for a makeshift system. The marina will likely want to charge you extra for the additional power cord. Your power connection should also be protect from the rain.

I eventually abandoned the lazzarette one as completely impractical and borderline crazy. I did this only for one summer. It's not a long term solution by any stretch of the imagination.

Just my 2c....

At best, both systems, while worked, had limited use and came with a lot of hassle.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 06:54   #5
Marine Service Provider

I've seen the window unit's placed in the main hatch dropboards, again with styrofoam and duct tape. It will require stepping over it, when coming or going, but could be an option.

As above, it's a makeshift approach and comes with it's own set of hassles.
Old 30-07-2021, 07:20   #6

Boat: Cal 34

Thanks for the feedback. I've had the window unit. Don't care for it. I'm constantly in and out of the cabin.
Bayou Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 10:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou Sailor View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've had the window unit. Don't care for it. I'm constantly in and out of the cabin.
What you want is a Dual Vent
Portable
One vent sucks in outside air
the other exhausts the same air
after it cools the coil.
These units have two loops
outside air in and out
room air circulating thru the coil,
Works like a heat exchanger.
The unit i have even mixes the
condensate with the exhaust air
so does not require condensate
reservoir or pump
Works like a charm
mine is 14000btu and cools
like no tomorrow
Single vent portables are not in the
same league because they are constantly venting
already cool air
I’ll post model number later tonight
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 10:54   #8

Friedrich Zone Air
Model ZHP 14 DB
Not cheap, but works great

Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 15:41   #9
Marine Service Provider

Back in my poverty years.....I had two box fans situated over hatches....one drew air out, the other blew it in.
I had awnings over the entire boat, so the box fans were always protected from rain.
In combination with the awnings, it worked surprisingly well, all things considered, or maybe I just got used to the heat....??