Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2014, 15:26   #1

Preserving Sanitation Hoses

I recently bought a 44ft sloop. It has "smelly hoses" Im not uo to changing all the hoses involved to the newer more durable ones which cost $12ft. in the forward bilge and closet area. Has a complex hose set up involving several Y Valves and a hand pump to enable holding tank to be pumped out at sea. I have an idea to extend the smell life. It is to spray thehoses with some sort plastic sealer. Hoping this contains the permeration . Anyone done this?? Thanks.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 15:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Preserving Sanitation Hoses

You must be joking, just rip them out and replace, but shop around first for a better price. Actually the job wasn't as bad as I first thought, since the pipe bore which was nearly blocked, but didn't smell and contained a solid "concrete" like substance so straight in a refuse sack and off the boat.

Think I paid £2 ($3) a foot for the last lot.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 16:28   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You must be joking, just rip them out and replace, but shop around first for a better price. Actually the job wasn't as bad as I first thought, since the pipe bore which was nearly blocked, but didn't smell and contained a solid "concrete" like substance so straight in a refuse sack and off the boat.

Think I paid £2 ($3) a foot for the last lot.
That is what you get for not peeing over the side.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 16:36   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The one proven method of containing the smell until the project is done is to wrap them with aluminum tape duct tape (I used Nashau from Home Depot). It really works and holds up for several years. I tested it side-by side with other hoses. Odors and gases cannot permeate even the thinnest layer of metal (why aluminized Mylar balloons do so well).

A plastic sealer is not going to help at all.
Old 18-05-2014, 17:42   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If you're trying to save a few bucks, the Trident XHD Sanitation #148 hose at less than $3.00 per foot isn't bad. Guaranteed for three years.

Link: Trident Vac X.H.D Sanitation Hoses -White Mfg# 148

Better hose would be Trident 101 or 102. Guaranteed for five years.

Raritan Sani-Flex hose is as good as the Trident 101 and 102 but is much more flexible making installation a lot easier. At about $13.00 per foot it's expensive.
Old 19-05-2014, 09:22   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Another thought, why are the hoses smelly? answer because the previous owners didn't flush them enough. I think just changing them and then instilling a regime of lots of flushing will work, does on my boat.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 09:37   #7

Do a search at some of the past post talking about this subject but installing PVC pipe was the best thing I have done. I eliminated 90% of the flex hose "the expensive stuff" last year and used only short peices as needed for areas that I could not put the PVC in easily.

If you use a heat gun and a little time you can make simple bends in the PVC to hug the hull.

Lots of people are afraid of doing this because of fear of movement might break the glue joint or pipe. In our installaiton I have enough span that makes the pipe be able to move to prevent this. The short pieces of flex is used at the tank and pump out fittings.

I've did this last year and several others indicated that they converted many years ago with no issues. Cost was less than $50 US.

Just another option
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote