Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2020, 11:32   #1

Boat: Endurance Faria 44
Pressurised water system with 2 tanks

Hi all

I have taken up the floor in my cabin area to find an old keel water tank (unused) and I'm hoping to replace this with a new one as seems useful and the space is there. There is another considerably larger freshwater tank in the saloon as the main tank. When plumbing in my water system i was wondering how would link the two tanks seeming as in different areas and heights.

My main thought would be to run a hose direct from saloon tank (higher of the two) down to the keel tank. Then have my water system, pump into accumulator tank to everything else, run from that tank as will always be full? or is there more convenient or better ways, as placement of pump will more likely be between to two tanks due to space.

thanks
Cornishkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:54   #2

Re: Pressurised water system with 2 tanks

How much higher is the top of the higher thank to the top of the lower tank? How high is the vent line of the lower tank. You really need to plumb the crossover line from the bottom of the higher tank in order to drain it completely.

Water is going to seek level. You might end up flooding the vent line of the lower tank. The pump would need to draw from the bottom of the lower tank, regardless of the location of the pump. It will more than likely be able to clear the flooded vent line in the process.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:59   #3

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Pressurised water system with 2 tanks

Connect the tanks, Vent the bottom tank to the upper. Draw water from the bottom, add water to the top. If the pump will fit below the floor, mount it on a piece of sheet foam so the pump doesn't transfer noise to the hull.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tanks, water