Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2019, 17:04   #1

Problem with fresh water pump

This morning the fresh water pump for the main water system on my sailboat was working fine. We then motored 6 nm in 15 kts of wind and 2-foot seas. We ended the day at a marina. Later that day the water pump started cycling. It goes on for 2 seconds, goes off, and then repeats in 8 to 10 seconds.

The pump is a Jabsco 25 psi automatic water system pump (Model 31600-0292 ... has been superseded by a new version) and the system has an accumulator and particle filter. The water tank is 150 gallons and is nearly completely full.

Any ideas what is happening? Do I need to replace the pump?

Marcus
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 17:12   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Problem with fresh water pump

Loose connection somewhere causing leak and loss of pressure. Look for water weeping from a fitting.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 17:56   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

Theres either a leak in the system or the pump check valves are leaking back
Old 19-12-2019, 18:04   #4

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

My guess is that there might be algae in the valves.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2019, 19:10   #5

Thanks for all the quick replies and the suggestions.

I don't think it is caused by a water leak. At least there is no noticeable water reaching the bilge.

I do think the stuck check valves makes a lot of sense. I'm sitting out 20 to 30 kts of wind right now and will for the next two days. I have a spare pump (not an exact fit but usable) and will see if swapping it out helps. If so, it might be worth trying to fix the check valves because the pumps are very expensive.

Cheers.

Marcus
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 09:06   #6

Clean the check valves
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 09:10   #7

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Until you try cleaning the pump valves, just
shut off the drinking water pressure circuit. When you need to use water, turn it back on. That will help you from draining your house batteries - and a lot of unnecessary pump cycling
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 11:24   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlibkind View Post
Thanks for all the quick replies and the suggestions.

I don't think it is caused by a water leak. At least there is no noticeable water reaching the bilge.

I do think the stuck check valves makes a lot of sense. I'm sitting out 20 to 30 kts of wind right now and will for the next two days. I have a spare pump (not an exact fit but usable) and will see if swapping it out helps. If so, it might be worth trying to fix the check valves because the pumps are very expensive.

Cheers.

Marcus
This may sound stupid. try giving it a rap with something like a wrench.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 11:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlibkind View Post

I don't think it is caused by a water leak. At least there is no noticeable water reaching the bilge. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It doesn't have to be a large leak. I had the same problem and traced it down to a small slit in the hose to the head sink which was way back under the engine. So little water came out and never made it to somewhere anyone could see.

A small leak MEANS you are losing pressure in the system, which is why the pump keeps cycling.

As always, whenever this recurring question appears, every single domestic water pump MANUAL has detailed TROUBLESHOOTING instructions.

RTFM, and good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 12:26   #10

Either a minor leak, or air has become trapped in a hose somewhere. Culprits are often a bubble of air in hose loop/bend.
For leaks run your dry hand on every foot of hose. If wet your leak is near by.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 13:40   #11

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a loose connection on the water maker output to water tank hose. No water leak but the pressure would escape causing my freshwater pump to cycle.

BTW, a replacement pressure regulator for your pump is only a few dollars if that is what the problem turns out to be. I carry a couple spares.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 03:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
... As always, whenever this recurring question appears, every single domestic water pump MANUAL has detailed TROUBLESHOOTING instructions...
Indeed ➥ https://www.pumpagents.com/pdf/Jabsc...31600-0292.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 05:21   #13

Geez, Stu - no need to be rude. He'd just rather have input from some humans. Which is why we're all members of this Forum.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Marcus, I've done the same thing as AndyEss and just switched off the circuit, only turning it on when I need water. As he says, this will avoid draining your batteries and burning out the pump until you can clean the check valves and/or find the leak (I'm voting for a hard-to-find leak).

Let us know, will you?

Happy Happy, Merry Merry,
Warmly,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 16:48   #14

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Probably not. I would clean all of the hoses, and also look for leaks. The tiniest leak can cause this. Also, if you are using an old pump with a pressure diaphragm operating a micro-switch, you will find an accumulator is a big advantage. If you are using an electronic sensor using a piezo system, I found they worked better withoiut an accumulator, but that is just me.

I also found, although this is not your problem, that the later pumps had rubbish el-cheapo bearings. They did not last long--and I replaced all mine with Japanese stainless steel pre-filled with lubricant sealed waterproof bearings--good for a few thousand hours of use.

Why they did not fit good bearings in the first place beats me--it would have added fifty bucks to the cost--and most of us would have paid it gladly to have a smooth and quiet pump. The difference was profound.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 19:07   #15

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We just had a similar problem. Pump would kick on for 2 seconds a couple times a night.(when no water was being used) turned out to be a very mild leak in the sink faucet. So no water into bilge, and not really any noticeable leak into the sink. It doesn't take a big leak to lose pressure and kick in the pump
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump