Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 05:00   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Problems removing a seacocks valve

I need to remove the forward water intake seacock valve for the head. We have and area on the hull that needs to be ground down right at the thru hull fitting, so it needs to come out. I was at the boat yesterday working on this problem and of course more problems developed. The newest problem is there is a 90 degree elbow on top of the seacock valve that isn't allowing me to turn the valve because the elbow hits the floor joists.
I see two potential solutions. One is to grind the flange off of the thru hull fitting and then replace it with a new one. Solution two is two cut off the 90 degree elbow so that I can turn the valve.
After all this is done I'll have to install a new valve completely assembled and tighten it from the exterior because again I can't spin it from the interior of the boat, which might not give me the best exterior seal.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Overall it wasn't the best location to install the thru hull but i assume it was much easier when the flooring wasn't put down from the manufacture.

Dave
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:10   #2

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsailor25 View Post
I need to remove the forward water intake seacock valve for the head. We have and area on the hull that needs to be ground down right at the thru hull fitting, so it needs to come out. I was at the boat yesterday working on this problem and of course more problems developed. The newest problem is there is a 90 degree elbow on top of the seacock valve that isn't allowing me to turn the valve because the elbow hits the floor joists.
I see two potential solutions. One is to grind the flange off of the thru hull fitting and then replace it with a new one. Solution two is two cut off the 90 degree elbow so that I can turn the valve.
After all this is done I'll have to install a new valve completely assembled and tighten it from the exterior because again I can't spin it from the interior of the boat, which might not give me the best exterior seal.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Overall it wasn't the best location to install the thru hull but i assume it was much easier when the flooring wasn't put down from the manufacture.

Dave
I've ground thru hull fittings from outside of the boat with great success to remove them.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Problems removing a seacocks valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsailor25 View Post

Dave
Dave... Don't know if you have room for this setup, but if it fits, you don't have to worry about the elbow hitting the floor joist when assembling...

Thru-hull flange-nipple-union-nipple-elbow

Tighten the union last...

I may sound childish, but I truly enjoyed writing nipple twice... (now 3 times)
Attached Images

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:35   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

That's ok Happy, we enjoyed reading it.
Dave you might take this opportunity to install a flanged seacock or use a Groco Flanged Adapter when you reinstall the valve. It might solve your clearance problem in the future. It's also a lot stronger than just screwing a ball valve on a thru-hull fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Groco Flanged Adapt.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	58742  
Old 13-04-2013, 06:18   #5

Boat: Tayana 37

Thank for the responses. I'll be going up to the boat tomorrow to finish removing the seacocks. I purchased a tapered extraction tool so I'm hoping that works with a little heat. If not, I have a grinder and I'll just grind the head of the thru hull off.
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 06:33   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I have cut them off with right angle grinder and/or a carbide tooth die grinder. Die grinders from McMaster and use a 20,000 rpm panel trimmer tool (Home Depot).
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 07:03   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

You can grind the mushroom off the thru-hull, it makes a mess, or as I like to do, use a reciprocating saw with a long blade and cut it off flush at the hull. I have found this goes quicker, easier and the yard never yells at me for throwing little bronze particles everywhere. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 08:01   #8

I used a reciprocating saw and cut from the inside. Take off the valve and cut the nut off and push it out. May need a whack with a chisel for the last little bit.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 22:15   #9

Boat: Seafarer 38
I prefer the grind from the outside method. You only need to grind the inside edge until the flare falls off, then the thru hull just falls off.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote