Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2017, 13:18   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Propane Stove/Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
.....Ooh! turkey dinner, eh? Well, our old Broadwater that I am soooo unhappy with will still cook a mean turkey, but only 6 kilos, not possible to go larger. I remember, as a child, my Mom could could a 12 k. turkey in the oven in our house. That said, it is still a treat for me to cook a turkey and have the leftovers. If cruisers are having Thanksgiving or Christmas nearby, I'm the gal who volunteers to cook the bird!

Cheers, mate, and enjoy your upgraded cooking.

Ann
Strange to hear that , I have never seen a Broadwater stove so I am ignorant on there construction and performance all I can say is they certainly look like a well built unit.
I was thinking of updating our Shipmate which is original to our Bristol and going with a new Dickinson Mediterranean. Not for any other reason but esthetics's. I am very glad I kept our 36 year old three burner Shipmate , compared to every thing I have seen on the market nothing is built as well . I just installed Piezo electric starters on all the burners . The oven works great as well . There are no thermocouples on the burners so a good sniffer is in order as should be on any boat with propane . After what I have read here, I think I will keep it for a very long time.

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 13:51   #32

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
No need of it since buying the Domitec.. But thanks for the thought. I honestly never thought of setting a pizza stone in the oven. Good idea..
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 14:04   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
No need of it since buying the Domitec.. But thanks for the thought. I honestly never thought of setting a pizza stone in the oven. Good idea..
Need a pizza stone anyway. How else.are you going to bbq a pizza next summer.
Old 23-02-2017, 19:06   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

For the Cheap low or no budget sailor, and that would be me, I installed a Atwood RV stove to replace the then 42 year old rv stove that had been in my boat. The atwood oven has all the safetys of a marine stove and good temperate control, I can bake a trap of brownies or bread or roast and it's just like a land side stove.

Stove top does not have the marine safety burners, but I never leave the stove top on unattended. So not a big deal for me. Knobs starts at high level and rotate to very low, which stays lit unless the wind is blowing in the hatch way. I sometimes have to put two of the three drop boards in when the tides and winds are opposite.

For me the biggest benefit was the price, off ebay for $280, including shipping. Retail is $500 ish which is still over half of a "Marine" stove Plus I added the gimbals from the old rv stove. Had it over two years and still is a dream to use. A rv dealer sells newish atwoods on ebay as used. They were installed in an RV and owner wanted an upgrade stove. For $250 ish it's pretty sweet.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 16:23   #35

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to egallina

I LOVED the Broadwater I bought for a previous boat. Pricey but worth it, IMO. Now I have a magnificent old Mariner Regal in my current boat/home - 3-burner with oven and broiler - from New Zealand (out of production) that is reliable, efficient and built like a tank (heavy gauge stainless, good seals and insulation). It's got some seemingly complicated technology with thermocouples on every burner, but is the Energizer Bunny of marine stoves. Any stove with similar tech requires holding the burner in the ignite setting until the thermocouple warms up to keep the gas flowing. It's a safety thing.
egallina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 18:57   #36

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

Just a little mishap.

My wife was mentioning that the electronic ignition on our LPG oven comes on as soon as the door was opened.
Was this always like this? Not sure, I think not. Ok, I will have a look when I get a minute.
A few weeks later I needed to to heat up Baguettes, wife on holidays.
Turned on the gas solenoid, heated water for the coffee.
Then opened the oven door to place the Baguette on the tray.
Bang!!
Arms, facial hair, hair burned, a mighty explosion!
Underwear dirty!

The previous night I heated up Pizza and instead of turning the oven off, I just turned the Gas solenoid off. Same thing, or?

I pulled the oven apart to figure out what was wrong.
A bit of fat on the shaft of the on / off knob prevented the knob from returning fully to the off position, keeping the gas open and the electronic ignition switch closed.
That`s why the oven was full of gas and ignited as soon as the door was fully open.
I am happy to be able to share this little story with you.

By the way, I keep well out of the galley from this day. Too dangerous for me!
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 04:32   #37

Boat: Rafiki 37

Glad you’re here to tell the tale Seman. My current stove (Force-10) uses a thermocouple to keep the gas valve open. It cannot remain open if the burner goes out, but I’m sure these fail as well.

My practice is to close the solenoid switch, then turn off the knob. And then, once we’re done with the stove, close the valve on the tank. So we have four levels of protection (main valve, solenoid, burner knob, thermocouple) … but it still makes me nervous .
Old 11-12-2018, 05:22   #38

Is your stove still for sale?
Capt.Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:35   #39

Boat: 1990 Island Packet 38 Hull#126

I recently went thru the same research to replace my 28 year old Seaward Princess 3- burner range which I have used on lots of ocean miles and years of full time living aboard. Everything still works but the oven thermostat is acting a little suspiciously. Looking at all the reviews I could find, the problem I could not resolve was the actual oven dimentions...40 liters didn't tell me what size pan I could use ( I really like baking fresh blackberry pies). Some responder stated she could fit a 9" X 13" pan in her Force 10. That's not going to work for me! So, what I found was the Dickinson Mediterranean 3-burner stove which will drop into the same gimballed footprint as the Seaward and has close to the same oven size. I thought that since the Seattle boat show was coming up that I would get a jump on the great boat show prices and emailed several local vendors. What I discovered was that no vendor could guaranty they could even have one for me by then at that price. Dickinson's are hand made one-by-one in Canada and currently have a 6-8 week backlog and that if I had the time, I should order it at their wholesale price and pick it up in their Seattle store to save $175 in shipping. Should be making a trip to Seattle in a month or so to pick it up. Just my observations and opinions. The 2-burner Dickinson has the same oven dimensions but is 6" narrower in depth. From what I could find, I don't think the ENO stove units have thermostatically controlled ovens?
CapnSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 16:55   #40

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

west marine will deliver a stove to their closest store for free. In my case it made west marine the cheapest option. Worth a look.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 18:00   #41

West Marine does not support Dickenson propane stoves so free shipping and "cheapest" was not an issue I considered...not "worth a look" for me and I've not heard many good reviews of the Force 10. But thanks for your input. Like I said, I've weighed all the advantages/disadvantages of each manufacturer and ordered the Dickinson Mediterranean.
Old 13-12-2018, 18:22   #42

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

"cheapest not an option"?? Dont you always want to buy whatever you decided to get at the lowest price you can find? I think I want to be like you when I grow up!
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 18:57   #43

So, all in all, I ordered, received, and installed the Dickinson Mediterranean 3-burner propane stove that I chose over the similar Force 10 unit, even with the 6-8 week Dickinson backlog. Got it for a good wholesale price, though. I, fortunately ordered the optional gimball kit in case the old Seaward mounts wouldn't work. The existing mounts were a little larger than the newer Dickinson gimballs, but the stove sat right in the existing mounts perfectly...the only issue was re-positioning of the gimball "lock" lever...and make it look like it was done by somebody who knew what they were doing. It was delivered with the maple cutting board, broiler, those pot holder gizmos that keep stuff from sliding around, and a bunch of hardware. I found I really like how the oven door latching/locking system works. Tested the oven size with my large pyrex pie baking plates so that satisfied my questions about the actual oven interior dimensions. Hey, just my observations and the reasoning why I went the way I did. Cheapest up front doesn't always work out that way when the project is completed for me.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	183961
Old 17-01-2019, 02:02   #44

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We have a 4 burner Force 10 that came with the boat when we bought her new in 2003. We have been underway for the past 12 years and we do not eat out a lot so that means it gets a lot of use.
About a year ago we had some issues with one of the burners and last year in Marmaris we had it rebuilt and wow it works like new. Love the 4 burner Force10
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 08:12   #45

Boat: O'Day 40

Older Force 10 and current models are very different.
I think if you compare the current Force 10 stoves with the Dickinson stoves you will see some important differences.
The Force10 have very sharp edges exposed when you clean it.
The polished finish is hard to maintain.
When they moved production from Canada to China the quality of Force 10 products went down.

Tags
oven, propane